Lee Miller's War - woman war correspondent

Dear Vee:

Well actually there were a few. Here's a bit of info here, with more to follow.

When America entered World War II after the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor Dec. 7, 1941, female journalists and photographers were assigned as overseas war correspondents. Some notable correspondents include:

* Margaret Bourke-White, hired in 1935 as the first female photojournalist for Life magazine, was also the first female American war correspondent and the first allowed to work in combat zones during World War II. Bourke-White covered the London Blitz, the Russian war effort, and various World War II battles. She also was one of the first photographers to enter and document the Nazi death camps.

* Marguerite Higgins, assigned to cover the Seventh Army in Europe during 1944 for the New York Herald Tribune, entered Berlin with allied troops and reported on Hitler's demise. She later reported on the Korean War (1950-53) and won a Pulitzer Prize. Higgins died from a tropical disease after covering American military involvement in Southeast Asia in 1965.

* Georgette "Dickey" Chapelle, a pre-war barnstorming pilot and photojournalist, covered World War II for Look magazine. After editing Seventeen magazine in 1946, she and her husband documented the war damage in Europe. Chapelle also covered conflicts in Algeria, Lebanon and Korea, and photographed Fidel Castro's revolution in Cuba. While covering the Vietnam War in 1965, she was killed by a mine explosion.

I LOVE Margaret's reporting, and in fact have a few articles by her in a book which was given to me by my daughter, for Christmas last year. The book is called, Reporting World War II. It's actually a two-part series. The first part covers from 38-44.

It also includes stories from the following female writers: Dorothy Thompson, Sonia Tomara, Helen Lawrenson, Annalee Jacoby, Mary Heaton Vorse, Martha Gellhorn, Sigrid Schultz, and Getrude Stein. A few covered the home front, but many such as Margaret, were RIGHT THERE!

Well have to run right now, gotta get ready to open our country store in a few minutes....

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
Lee Miller's War - woman war correspondent - by Walt's Daughter - 09-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Lee Miller's War - woman war correspondent - by colinhotham - 09-26-2008, 07:06 AM