The story of the Anzio blanket (my new blankie)

Well, here is a fantastic story. I am still reeling a bit. Wait until you hear this.

I am going to share all the correspondence between Verna and myself. And finally a Canadian soldier, Ken Paynter.

=================================

Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 11:51:08 AM

Subject: World War II Blanket

July 22, 2008

A Canadian World War II veteran was given an American blanket at Anzio, Italy. He was told that the American soldier didn't need it anymore as he had just been killed. This Canadian soldier brought it home with him and would like to see it returned to either the family of the American soldier that it once belonged to, but as that seems next to impossible because he doesn't have any names, perhaps to a veteran who served at Anzio or the family of a deceased soldier who was killed at Anzio. Any help from you would be very much appreciated ... as how to get this blanket back to the United States and into the hands of the above-mentioned. Thanks so much.

Verna Zadow

===============================

Dear Verna:

Wow, that is really something, but I agree; without a name or serial number, it would be virtually impossible to track down this person, especially after more 60 years.

My father served at Anzio, and did many of my veteran friends. I know I for one would be honored to have it within my collection. In fact my father was wounded during the breakout of Anzio, when he was hit by a mortar shell. He did survive, but spent some time at a hospital in Europe before returning to duty.

I thank you for writing to me. May I ask how you found my name/website? I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Marion

=======================

Dear Marion:

I work for The War Amputations of Canada in Ottawa and received a phone call from a Canadian World War II veteran who had fought in Anzio, Italy. He was in his platoon when a group of American troops came along in a hand car transporting a dead American soldier. They threw the blanket at the Canadian soldier with the words to the effect 'you will need this more than this poor fellow'. The Canadian soldier has kept the blanket all these years but would like it returned to the United States, perferably to the family of the dead soldier. He realizes returning it to the family may be asking too much, but he would like to see the family of a soldier who fought at Anzio receive it. I contacted the American Embassy here in Ottawa and they referred me to The National Museum of the United States Army in Virginia, the U.S. Army Center of Military History

in DC, and The National World War II Museum in New Orleans. The museum in New Orleans gave me the VI Corps Combat Engineers' website and that's where I saw your name. I don't have the blanket in my possession but I will get in touch with the gentleman who has and get back to you with his reply. My contact will want to know if your Father is still alive. I'm assuming, yes, but I need to confirm. Also, what part of the United States do you live in? Any additional information you can give me would be appreciated so I can pass it on to my Canadian veteran.

Thanks so much for replying. Hopefully this will all work out for the best. I'll await your reply before I contact my veteran.

Sincerely,

Verna Zadow

=====================

One more thing... if he deems that it would be more appropriate, I can give him the names of several of my dad's buddies who are still alive, and who were also at Anzio. We will make sure that the blanket is held in a place of honor.

Regardless, it would be nice to have it for our reunion this fall. I'm sure the surviving members would love to see it and hear the story.

Warmly,

Marion

====================

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Thank you for your responses. I think the next step would be to obtain your mailing address and telephone number. I will pass it along to the Canadian veteran and the two of you will be able to communicate. I am not sure if he has e-mail as he did ask that I get your address and telephone number. Thanks for everything. I think he will be very happy with the end results of having the blanket returned to a family of an American WWII veteran.

Verna Zadow

====================

Dear Verna:

I am so thrilled, and I am sure my dad in heaven is smiling down on us. He would be tickled pink.

Here's my information:

Marion J Chard

PO Box 147

1460 Joy St.

Alger, MI 48610

USA

phone number 989-859-8418 (this is my cell phone and has voice mail is I am not available.

Thank you so much. I am so touched by all of this.

Warmly,

Marion

=======================

Marion:

Thank you for your quick reply. I'll call my contact this afternoon and I'm sure he will be in touch with you shortly. It was my pleasure to be the go-between.

Verna

=========================

Well, several days later I received this beautiful handwritten letter from Ken. I am attaching it as a PDF file. You best believe I am calling Ken today.

Tell me what an honor this is. I still can't believe it. ME! :wub: This blanket has seen a lot of history and been all over the world and survived six decades. Now it will have a place of honor with me.

Ken_Paynter___Anzio_Blanket001.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   Ken_Paynter___Anzio_Blanket001.pdf (Size: 407.03 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
The story of the Anzio blanket (my new blankie) - by Walt's Daughter - 08-09-2008, 08:44 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The real story behind duct tape and its tie-in with WWII Walt's Daughter 4 5,105 03-29-2016, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Necklace with a story Walt's Daughter 3 4,127 06-17-2014, 07:29 AM
  Finding Gilbert - story begins in 1944 Walt's Daughter 4 6,618 05-15-2014, 12:04 PM
  Normandy Loves US...The Untold Story sixgun 0 2,484 04-12-2014, 07:57 AM
Last Post: sixgun
  Finding Harry and Fred Bahlau's story Frank Gubbels 3 5,038 04-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Last Post: Jean Jacobson
  "battle of the caves", Anzio 1944 pietro 2 6,283 01-05-2011, 07:24 PM
  "Anzio Annie" and the sound of war arve 9 9,444 03-31-2010, 02:55 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  moving Anzio Annie Walt's Daughter 1 4,490 08-31-2009, 10:05 AM
  206th Company MPs Who Died Salerno & Anzio arve 3 4,709 06-11-2009, 10:22 PM
  Anzio photos Life magazine arve 0 2,316 06-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Last Post: arve