1010th Engineer Treadway Bridge Company

Ya, sometimes you just have to use different search paramaters, the article didnt show up on a search for "1010th Engineer Treadway Bridge Company" but did just using '1010th Treadway Bridge Co."

The 89th Infantry Divison was one of the units that crossed the Rhine at St Goar, i`ll see what i can find about that crossing.

What i got from a 89th Div website, VII Corps assigned the 1107th Engineer Combat Group to support the 89th`s crossing at St Goar.

No mention of the individual units that built the bridges.

You know the funny thing, I have a copy of those...and EVERYONE my grandpa ever met got a copy of it...and he was constantly asking before he passed to make sure everyone got a copy of it...and for some reason I actually have yet to read it...I completely forgot about that until you brought it up...thank you for that! The one thing I do remember is that he was very mad the newspaper put his full name in it..he only wanted to be referred to as "Grandpa Jim" because he always said "I'm no damn hero" and didn't want the publicity. That is one of the many fantastic qualities the greatest generation had was humility.

HI, my father, Michael E Dunfee, was also with the 1010th. I have a few photos that I will post as soon as I get them out of storage. I don't know anything about his company, just that he built Treadway and ponton bridges in France and Germany. I will eagerly read anything about his unit. My dad only rarely spoke about his service, although I know he did lose several close friends. His generation, as you know, just did what they were expected to and did not discuss it. He told me about building a bridge while under enemy fire, once while we were watching "The Bridge at Ramaggen". He talked a little about sleeping in church basements, and stealing a keg of beer from the Germans. He was a sargeant, and extremely proud of his service, if not very verbal about details.

His father, also Michael E Dunfee, served in the army in WWI, and was disabled after he came home due to the effects of mustard gas. He was constantly in and out of VA hospitals. Unfortunately he died while my father was in France; my dad requested leave but was denied. He was angry about that, but it did not effect his patriotism or his love of country. His wish was to be buried in a veterans' cemetery, and thanks to the work of Harry Reid, when dad died in 1994 we were able to do that. My mother joined him in 2008, at the Southern Nevada Verterans Memorial Cemetery in Boulder City, Nevada.

Shari Dunfee, Denver, CO

Hi Shari. Thanks for joining our forum. We're happy to share anything we have with you, and look forward to seeing the photos.

Yes, movies have a way of triggering memories and opening doors. I'm glad he shared that much with you.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Hi Shari,

Once I get the records from the National Archives I'll definitely share them...keep checking back on the forum for updates...THey said it'll take a month or two until I actually get them but we'll see I guess.

My father, Leo Welz, who passed away in 2005, served in the 1010th Engineer Treadway Bridge Company. Enclosed, please find a 15-page 1010th history document – because of the level of detail, it could be ‘official,' but the document does not include an author or date, and it is not on letterhead. Fascinating read, filled with names, dates, locations – written with a proud sense of accomplishment.

I hope that the children/grandchildren of Riederer and Dunfee are still following this topic – this is a fascinating read but also thrilling to see our father/grandfather’s place in history:

“At 2200 on June 5 [1944] the company of 150 enlisted men and five officers hiked nineteen and a half miles from Camp Rucker to Newton and back. . . Welz's endurance and Riederer's exuberance were outstanding."

As info, a copy of this document was donated to the WWII museum, a chance to honor the 1010th and their role in WWII.

Thank you,

M Welz

1010 Engineer Treadway Bridge Co.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   1010 Engineer Treadway Bridge Co.pdf (Size: 1.62 MB / Downloads: 0)

Hello:

It was nice chatting with you briefly via email earlier today and great to see your first post, above. Thanks for sharing that wonderful document with everyone here. I will take a few moments to read it after I have some late lunch. :pdt12:

Welcome!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

My father, Leo Welz, who passed away in 2005, served in the 1010th Engineer Treadway Bridge Company. Enclosed, please find a 15-page 1010th history document – because of the level of detail, it could be ‘official,' but the document does not include an author or date, and it is not on letterhead. Fascinating read, filled with names, dates, locations – written with a proud sense of accomplishment.

I hope that the children/grandchildren of Riederer and Dunfee are still following this topic – this is a fascinating read but also thrilling to see our father/grandfather’s place in history:

“At 2200 on June 5 [1944] the company of 150 enlisted men and five officers hiked nineteen and a half miles from Camp Rucker to Newton and back. . . Welz's endurance and Riederer's exuberance were outstanding."

As info, a copy of this document was donated to the WWII museum, a chance to honor the 1010th and their role in WWII.

Thank you,

M Welz

Hey that's awesome thanks!!! The things I got from the National Archives ended up being quite the disappointment, really nothing even worth sharing.

I'm reading through this and my Grandpa is actually mentioned by name! This is AWESOME!!! How did you or your father acquire this?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1284th Combat Engineer Company B Song (Elsie) Procyon2014 0 4,611 08-21-2019, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Procyon2014
  2827th Company C steve boshko 8 10,460 03-28-2019, 11:01 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  1017th Treadway Bridge Co 1946- Jessie - Eddie King’s daughter 2 3,789 01-28-2019, 06:34 PM
  358th Engineers, Company "C" ttimbie 20 20,520 12-20-2018, 08:20 AM
  149th Engineer Combat BTN Company B Pappy 1 5,295 10-31-2018, 02:09 PM
  344th Engineer General Service Regiment, Company C Peggy Kennedy 3 5,125 10-18-2017, 08:33 AM
  3939th Quartermaster Gas Supply Company Hippygator 9 9,854 09-13-2017, 09:18 AM
  Restoring a '44 gmc from 276th engineers/remagen bridge. Any info pics please Caretaker 1 3,029 09-07-2017, 12:03 PM
  610th Engineer Light Eqiuipment Company Mariani 3 5,853 10-10-2016, 08:42 PM
  Company D, 342nd General Service Regiment Engineers in WWII vette97 14 17,190 10-01-2016, 08:14 PM
Last Post: asabraham