Happy 110th Birthday, Frank Buckles

The official blog of American Veteran Magazine, the national quarterly publication of AMVETS.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Happy 110th Birthday, Frank Buckles

Frank Buckles, the last surviving American veteran of World War I, celebrated his 110th birthday today at his home in Charles Town, W.V.

AMVETS leaders were honored to join Buckles for a special reception in his honor in 2008, where Past National Commander John P. "JP" Brown III presented Buckles with a plaque acknowledging his uniformed service in WWI and his leadership as a captured American prisoner in World War II, along with an American flag to fly over his ranch in West Virginia.

to read more...

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

110 years old, wooooow. "Eager to see action" on 16 years. That's the spirit which kept him alive for so long I think. Thank God there are such great men like him. Happy birthday Sir and I hope you will celebrate a couple more.

Frank Buckles died yesterday, Feb 27.

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) — He was repeatedly rejected by military recruiters and got into uniform at 16 after lying about his age. But Frank Buckles would later become the last surviving U.S. veteran of World War I.

Buckles, who also survived being a civilian POW in the Philippines in World War II, died of natural causes Sunday at his home in Charles Town, biographer and family spokesman David DeJonge said in a statement. He was 110.

Frank Buckles Obituary

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/newstimes/obituary.aspx?n=frank-buckles&pid=149013342

Godspeed, Mr. Buckles, you've done your time in Hell. Thank you for your service and sacrifice.