Alan Forster - welcome!

Am posting this hear for Alan. I told him he could add to it. Happy to post the images, etc. Welcome to the forum. We look forward to talking with you. Very interesting!

Dear Marion,

Hello from the other side of 'The Pond'.

It is strange how coincidences conspire to bring people together. I have recently watched a BBC television programme about WW2 'Operation Mincemeat' which was an intricate deception to make the Germans believe that the Allied forces would invade Greece rather than Sicily. (It was devised by British Special Operations officer Ian Fleming, who wrote the 007 James Bond books!). The programme included footage of US soldiers preparing for the invasion and reading a small booklet titled "A Soldier's Guide to Sicily". I later decided to search the internet to see if this booklet was still available and came across your post of 14 Sept 2005 on the "VI Corps Combat Engineers" website in which you mention that you were looking for original copies of the booklet. In case you have not yet found the copies of that and others I would like to point out that there are copies of the guides to Sicily and to Italy for sale on Ebay at the moment.

My interest in WW2 comes from the area where I live which is on the south coast of Devon, England just outside of the resort town of Paignton. The whole of this area was deeply involved with the preparations for Operation Overlord and the invasion of Normandy where many of the slipways that were built and used have been preserved to commemorate those who passed over them. The US Navy Command HQ was at Dartmouth Naval College which the Royal Navy had vacated and just a couple of miles up the River Dart from there is Greenway House, the home of Agatha Christie, the famous crime writer. Her home was requisitioned for use by the officers of the US Coast Guard who commanded the LCI(L) of the 10th flotilla. They had previously been the 4th flotilla when involved with the Sicilian and Italian landings in July and September 1943. Whilst billeted at Greenway one of the officers painted a frieze around the walls of the library depicting a story of their exploits since leaving the USA in early 1943. (see photos attached).

This is where I have a particular interest as I am a guide at Greenway House which is now in the ownership of the National Trust and open to the public. It is indeed possible that some of your members were amongst the 190,000 that have visited in the two years that the house has been open (you can see photos and an article at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...liday-home.html ).

I am currently undertaking research into the details of what is depicted in the frieze and the story behind it of what experiences the 4th (later the 10th) flotilla of the US Coast Guard had. I have not yet been able to determine which troops they transported to Sicily, Salerno and Normandy and any help from your members would be greatly appreciated. It might help to state that the LCI(L)s involved were numbers 83, 84, 85,86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 349, 350.

My apologies if this has been a little long-winded, it you think it would help I would be happy for you to post some or all of this message.

A very Happy New Year to you all, I hope that 2011 brings you peace and happiness.

Alan Forster (AlanF)

Agatha from Daily Mail 24Feb2009

From Daily Mail 24Feb2009

From Teawithmarykate files wordpress

post-2-1294060744_thumb.jpg

post-2-1294060820_thumb.jpg

post-2-1294060859_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Agatha_from_Daily_Mail_24Feb2009.jpg (Size: 102.7 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   From_Daily_Mail_24Feb2009.jpg (Size: 65.44 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   From_Teawithmarykate_files_wordpress_.jpg (Size: 34.09 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

:14_1_107v: Alan Forster:_

Welcome from a WW II dinosaur who spent 4-1/2 months in the Hants Area. The Coasties as we called them had beached some of their LCVPs (Landing Craft Vehicle and Personnel) up on the beach at Dorchester.

We were allowed to go there for swimming prior to being put on the alert for D-Day and believe it or not one of the Coasties I accidently ran across lived about 6 houses down the street from me at home.

We camped were up closer to Winchester and Basingstoke areas.

Most of the Brits in that area were located if I remember correctly so we had the beach exclusively.

Sgtleo I hate to do this, but can I with your permission just correct something. My wife comes from Dorchester and my son lives in Basingstoke, so I have great attachment for the south of the UK and know the area well. I'm sure your beaching of the the LCVPs must have taken place at WEYMOUTH(?) as Dorchester is way inland from the coast!

Also you are no dinoasur but a well respected veteran of WWII.

Colin.

Alan

OOOOPS MY BAD!!!

I defer to your corrections but I do ask that you remember I am reaching

back to '44 some 67 years ago and undoubtly had a Senior moment or as

I call them "Herafter moments". e.g when you go up stairs and then ask yourself

"what am I here after(LOL)".

I do know seriously that we fequented Dorchester,Weymouth,Bournemouth

and that going South West from Basingstoke we went through Salisbury

after that we THEN we passed through Dorchester on the way to Weymouth.

Now I recall - you made me put my thinking cap on!!!

Ask your son if they still have the market at the head of Wote Street and

London Streets. Many a night we walked down Wote Street to the Pub near

the Barge Inn and the Cinema. which I understand are now gone or

enjoyed the concerts in Memorial Park. That is one town I am as familiar

with as the back of my hand. Probably gone but I even remember the

"Hole in the Wall" pub off London Street.

Gentleman:

This is why I LOVE this forum; the great exchange of ideas, stories, and information. When two or more people get together here, it's amazing what transpires. Case in point is the above posts. Thank you for participating and enlightening ALL of us.

God bless,

M1

P.S. Alan, we are eagerly awaiting a post from you.

Marion J Chard

Note to Alan:- Mea Culpa!!

Part of what I said the other day was "tongue in cheek" and I hope you

were not offended because you not only have the right to correct ANYTHING

I've posted but I think that is your duty. Also, I am not thin skinned about

being corrected when I am wrong.

Please come back as I think we would have much in common and the sharing

might be beneficial to the rest here.

Echoing Marion's post I too eagerly await your next post

:icon_pray::groan:

The initial conversation was started by Alan (he had sent the post to me in an email), but I think the correction Sarge, was stated by our dear Colin. Hugs, Marion
Marion J Chard

:icon_pray::clappin:

OK scratch Alan and change to "Dear Colin" that's easy(LOL)

Dear Colin:-

OOOOPS MY BAD!!!

I defer to your corrections but I do ask that you remember I am reaching

back to '44 some 67 years ago and undoubtly had a Senior moment or as

I call them "Herafter moments". e.g when you go up stairs and then ask yourself

"what am I here after(LOL)".

I do know seriously that we fequented Dorchester,Weymouth,Bournemouth

and that going South West from Basingstoke we went through Salisbury

after that we THEN we passed through Dorchester on the way to Weymouth.

Now I recall - you made me put my thinking cap on!!!

Ask your son if they still have the market at the head of Wote Street and

London Streets. Many a night we walked down Wote Street to the Pub near

the Barge Inn and the Cinema. which I understand are now gone or

enjoyed the concerts in Memorial Park. That is one town I am as familiar

with as the back of my hand. Probably gone but I even remember the

"Hole in the Wall" pub off London Street.

All's well, that ends well. Right Sarge?

:The Queen:

Marion J Chard

Marion

I was just following three sayings that my father demanded of his sons:-

i.e. You must learn to say the correct one of these (whenever necessary)

1. I'm Sorry

2. I was wrong

3. I don't know

God Forbid You ever forgot!!!!!!!!!

:readingpaper: