Looking for a place for my Grandpa

Oh, if you don't mind, we can put all the images into a folder on the gallery. Let me know.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Oh, if you don't mind, we can put all the images into a folder on the gallery. Let me know.

I have no problem placing them in a file. In fact, Like I was saying is there anyway possible to start a threat of Engineers dedicated to there time in Iceland? I think with that it cold help others like myself figure out some odds and ends or help slve some mysteries because alot of Soldiers were tansfered from Iceland to other Units for the entry into France and it could be easier for other people to do research if they sta atthe beginning like from Iceland.

You might want to contact the local VA office. They can find his service # and help you fill out the report form requesting all of your grandfathers records from enlistment to discharge. When I requested my fathers records , I received 9 pages of information plus the medals he was entitled to wear, even his medical records were included. Hope this helps

You might want to contact the local VA office. They can find his service # and help you fill out the report form requesting all of your grandfathers records from enlistment to discharge. When I requested my fathers records , I received 9 pages of information plus the medals he was entitled to wear, even his medical records were included. Hope this helps

Thank you for your response, I have contacted NARA for his records and just to find that it was supposedly destroyed in the fire. I have his discharge paper, unfortunatly when he was discharged it wasnt with the Unit he served with overseas. On his Discharge paper it says 434th AAF Base Unit, thats like saying in Army terms 1st Infanry division. Rather than Company or Battalion. I must admit Im not confident that your idea may not be a bad idea but very doubtful it will have the info im looking for. I do know he was collecting a pension from the Government, I wrote to the Big VA in Philly Pa wih a response askingfor his seriel number SSN and te middle of my ads name. Sadly when I originally wote to them I gave them his SSN, and his seriel number. Why would they ask me that when I just gave it to them twice? Any how, I know his Seriel number. I even seen his VA Burial card wich sys the same thing metioned above as for Unit organization. I think He got transferred to a Unit or sent back to the states early because of his early time in Iceland or he got sick or something, while his Unit was still in France and he fell under a different Unit in the states then was eventually processed out. I would like to know of an address where the US army would store originl awards or certificates in file if it exists. I wander is there place that files that other than the NARA like the Pentegon, Dont they file all iliary awards?

Regarding the 824th Engineer Aviation Battalion in Iceland, here's an online version of a book I purchased :

http://books.google.com/books?id=KXDlNtXZFUwC&pg=PA15&lpg=PA15&dq=824th+engineer+aviation&source=bl&ots=ukj5VColwB&sig=H9fBhFe7GUnjDou2gkQV3qwrpbI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=pix0UJmICM-C0QHby4HQCA&sqi=2&ved=0CDkQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=824th%20engineer%20aviation&f=false

Same book, but in text form ( Slinky75, see page 12 & down )

http://archive.org/stream/corpsofengineers00beck/corpsofengineers00beck_djvu.txt

This book ( I also bought ) says the 1st Battalion of the 21st Aviation Regiment was redesignated the 824th.....

http://books.google.com/books?id=KHzwSIRIyO0C&pg=PA143&lpg=PA143&dq=824th+engineer+aviation&source=bl&ots=HleCyNFxy_&sig=LxdQvTKSqbunpvgWg4Hx5nB7wZ4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4zN0UNiXNtGC0QG81YH4CQ&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAzgK#v=onepage&q=824th%20engineer%20aviation&f=false

My Dad was in the 824th... I have more to post .

Hi and welcome to the forum. Thanks for posting those links for all of us. I look forward to hearing about your dad!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Slinky 75 - I can confirm your Grandfather was in HQ Co., 824th Engineer Aviation Battalion. The reason I state so is that I paid a researcher, Golden Arrow Military Research https://www.goldenarrowresearch.com/ to attempt to find my Dad's records. Geoff Gentilini, who did an excellent job finding and summarizing what he could find in Company Morning Reports, Company Pay Rosters, and a most crucial document for you, sent me a .pdf file containing the Order which sent our ancestors on to a Replacement Depot from Iceland to be plus-ups to other EABs in the event they took combat losses.

Your Grandfather is listed as Tec 4 Hamilton C Snell 3301266?4 Hq Co on the document I have for "B" Co ( all others are lined out, so your Grandfather is listed but crossed out, making out his serial #  tough ).

I'd suggest you get in touch with Geoff at Golden Arrow. He did an amazing job filling in more of some of the things I knew, and finding things I did not know about my Dad's service, and what I paid for it was well worth it to me.

I'll try to print out that Order and attach it in a next post, hope I am successful, and I hope you see this many-years-later reply.

My younger daughter took me to Iceland and Normandy in June 2017 to retrace my Dad's footsteps. It was an emotional event, to say the least.

Slinky 75 - here you go !!

03241901.JPG

Attached Files
.jpg   03241901.JPG (Size: 486.95 KB / Downloads: 0)

Slinky 75 - here's a .pdf file instead of jpeg . Hope you can read one of these, or enlarge it .

03241901.PDF

Attached Files
.pdf   03241901.PDF (Size: 249.34 KB / Downloads: 0)

This is a pic of my Dad ( then Pvt Joseph F. Kubik Jr ) with one gentleman identified, George Sabol. He wrote to my Mom in Jan 1997,  looking to reconnect with my Dad who had already passed away. Both my Dad and Mr. Sabol arrived in Iceland June 22, 1942 and the Company Morning Report for B Co. 824th EAB shows their assignment to that Co. effective that date.

George Sabol pic with Dad Iceland 1942.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   George Sabol pic with Dad Iceland 1942.jpg (Size: 123.03 KB / Downloads: 0)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help piecing my Grandpa's WWII story - 39th Combat Engr Weston497 19 18,805 02-01-2019, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter