Moose and Don Burgett

The following is correspondence between Moose, Don Burgett and myself. As always, happy to be of service. Here's to Moose and his fine group of reenactors. Thanks to Don for all his help in this matter! :pdt34: It's a pleasure knowing all of you.

Moose wrote to me asking if I could put him in touch with Don and this is what transpired...

++++++++++++++++++++

Subject: SGT. MOOSE NEEDS ADVICE.... ON BEHALF OF 'THE SCREAMING EAGLES' LHG. UK

DEAR MR. BURGETT,

SIR, THIS IS VERY MUCH' FOR YOUR EYES ONLY' I NEED YOUR ADVICE, SO MAY I THANK YOU FOR SPENDING THE TIME TO READ MY REQUEST. MARION J. CHARD HAS HELPED ME TO CONTACT YOU, THIS LOVELY LADY HAS BEEN VERY KIND TO ME, AND ALLOWED ME TO POST PHOTOS OF OUR GROUP ON HER OUTSTANDING WEBSITE.WE DID MEET LAST YEAR, 2006, AT ALDBOURNE, APART FROM THE RAIN IT WAS A 'BLAST'.

SIR, THE ADVICE I NEED IS THAT THIS YEAR, 2007, THE GROUP WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND THE REMEMBRANCE SERVICE HELD IN NOVEMBER AT ST. MICHAELS CHURCH, THE GREEN, ALDBOURNE, WILTSHIRE, ENGLAND. OUR MORAL PROBLEM IS THAT WE WISH TO ATTEND THE SERVICE IN OUR A-CLASS. WE FEEL WE WOULD BE REPRESENTING THE VETERANS UNABLE TO BE THERE AND ALSO PAY OUR RESPECTS TO THE BOYS WHO NEVER MADE IT HOME. WEARING A-CLASS AT MEMORIAL SERVICES HAS ALWAYS BEEN A GREY AREA HERE IN THE UK. THIS IS NOT AN ATTEMPT TO ATTRACT ATTENTION TO OUR GROUP, IT IS A WAY FOR US TO SAY THANKYOU. THE GROUP WILL ABIDE WITH WHATEVER ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE US. CURRAHEE,

SGT. MOOSE, S/L 2nd SQUAD.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sgt. Moose,

I recall Aldbourne last year and the wonderful time had by all. The two young women jitterbugging in front of the Crown in a heavy downpour set the mood for everyone there.

I also recall all the reenactors in their American uniforms and the courtesy and respect shown me by all. The reenactors looked so American I couldn't tell the difference. The main change was the stables were all but gone, only one remained which was listed as Able Company Command post. That stable was in fact the storage stable for our Able Company Communication Team, Hdq. Pltn.; our command post was the "Manor House" near the gate.

Neil Stevens, and his brother Clive have been reenactors for many years now and by their actions have promoted good will and the return of many memories and our part of history in WWII.

As per you question regarding wearing Class A uniforms during the Memorial Service: it is not for me to give permission or to say "No." There is a debate raging on that very same thing on Mark Bando's web site at this time; about half stating it is illegal by law, (which it is in the US) the other half say "They don't care. they will pay their respect now, and in the future as they have in the past and wear their uniforms of choice.

I believe the main thrust of the whole thing is whether or not Medals should be worn as well as paratroopers, glider pilots or aircraft pilots wings on the uniforms. Most seem to agree that even with or without the law it should be permissable to wear the uniforms 'Without the medals' to pay respect to those who have gone on before. It would be the same as one wearing the "Victoria Cross" when not having served in the service at all, or actually earning that medal.

Personally I have no gripe regarding a reenactor wearing the uniform to pay homage to thse who served, but I feel that only those who bore the brunt of warfare should be allowed to wear only the medals they personally have earned. Regardless of what country and which service.

I believe I would confere with Neil Stevens and more or less lean toward the Class A uniforms, with no medals representing the real thing in medals. I suggested that reenacting groups in the US have medals made up to take the place of the authentic medals that were and are awarded to service men and women for valor under fire or for service rendered. The false medals would give the same impression without taking anything from a veteran who charged a machine gun nest and lost his legs and or sight and received a 'Bronze Star' and a 'Purple Heart' as the result.

Sgt. Moose, give my best to all and please remind them for me that I had the best time in many years as "An Eagle Returns."

Donald R. Burgett, Sgt. WWII, Able Company, 506, 101st Abn.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

DEAR MR BURGETT,

SIR, THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING TO MY REQUEST, I AM SO GLAD I WAS ABLE TO APPROACH YOU. PLEASE IF YOU HAVE A FEW MOMENTS CAN I RELATE AN OCCURRENCE THAT HAPPENED TO THE GROUP ON A VISIT TO NORMANDY FOR THE 60TH ANNIVERSARY IN 2004.

ONE OF THE ITEMS ON THE GROUPS AGENDA WAS TO VISIT THE U.S. CEMETERY AT OMAHA, THE QUESTION AROSE OF WEARING A- CLASS DURING THIS ' VISIT OF HOMAGE' . EVENTUALLY IT WAS DECIDED THAT HALF WOULD WEAR THEIR A CLASS THE OTHERS WEARING CIVILIAN CLOTHES. AT THE CEMETERY ONE OF THE TROOPERS WAS STOOD ALONE, PAYING HIS RESPECTS, BY THE GRAVE OF ONE OF THE FALLEN, WHEN, SEVERAL AMERICAN LADIES APPROACHED HIM. THE LADIES ASKED HIM," WHY ARE YOU WAS WEARING A UP.SO.UNIFORM ? "

THE TROOPER EXPLAINED TO THEM ' THAT IT HAD TAKEN A GREAT AMOUNT OF TIME AND MONEY TO OBTAIN HIS UNIFORM , HE HAD SPENT HOURS RESEARCHING, AND NOW HE WAS ABLE TO PAY HIS PERSONAL THANKS, AND RESPECT'.

THE LADIES LOOKED AT HIM FOR SEVERAL MOMENTS AND THEN ONE TOUCHED HIM ON THE SHOULDER AND SAID, " GOOD FOR YOU SON ...."

REGARDING THE ISSUE OF MEDALS, NO ONE IN THE SCREAMING EAGLES LHG IS ALLOWED TO WEAR MEDALS OR RIBBONS ( UNLESS SERVING WITH H.M. FORCES ) THESE ARE GROUP REGS. OVER A PERIOD OF TIME TROOPERS ARE ASSESSED BY THE GROUPS COMMITTEE AND THEN STRIPES ARE AWARDED BY THE COMPANY COMMANDER.

I WOULD LIKE TO SHOW A COPY OF YOUR ADVICE TO OUR MEMBERS AT OUR GROUP MONTHLY MEETING TOMORROW, 21.02. 07, WOULD THIS BE OK ? I WILL OF COURSE DELETE YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS.

ONCE AGAIN, THANK YOU.

CURRAHEE,

SGT. MOOSE.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HI MARION,

WHAT A WONDERFUL MAN, IS THE U. S. MADE UP OF NICE PEOPLE ONLY ? MR. BURGETT, AS YOU WILL READ IS OK ABOUT THIS ISSUE, THE MEDALS AND RIBBON ISSUE IS NOT A PROBLEM WITHIN OUR GROUP, BECAUSE, IT'S NOT ALOUD !!

I HAVE ANOTHER FAVOUR TO ASK YOU. I NEED TO CONTACT ' WILD BILL', AND RELATE THE SAME STORY, MR.GUARNERE IS THE DRIVING FORCE BEHIND 'EASY' IN THESE POST WAR YEARS, WE IN THE UK THINK SO HIGHLY OF THE MAN.

AND ANYTHING THAT CONCERNS ' EASY' COMPANY CONCERNS ' WILD BILL'.

THERE ISN'T ENOUGH TIME IN THE WORLD FOR ME TO THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING

YOU HAVE DONE FOR ME AND THE UK ' EAGLES'. TARE CARE LOVELY LADY , ' TALK ' AGAIN SOON.

MOOSE.

Moose gave me permission to share all the above with you. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Photo editing... Moose's new toy ricklind 11 11,448 07-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Moose meet's a new buddy ricklind 2 4,113 06-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Last Post: 206thmpco
  Moose's Normandy Moments...June 2009. ricklind 5 6,531 06-19-2009, 05:35 AM
Last Post: moose
  Moose and Co in Normandy D-day 2009 sixgun 8 8,503 06-15-2009, 08:14 AM
Last Post: ColBill
  MOOSE AND ' PALS' ? ricklind 1 3,437 09-26-2007, 06:16 PM
  Moose & Friends - 6 June, 2007 Walt's Daughter 0 2,379 06-19-2007, 07:39 PM
  A warm welcome to Moose's buddies Walt's Daughter 22 19,351 05-24-2007, 08:09 AM
Last Post: Mailman
  Mr & Mrs Moose drinking to Marions health ricklind 1 3,681 11-04-2006, 02:36 PM
  Moose - Various scenarios Walt's Daughter 14 13,183 10-29-2006, 08:35 PM
  Moose in Italy? Walt's Daughter 28 25,326 10-18-2006, 04:10 PM