Italian Memorials

Roque: Although I was not in Italy with the 3rd I.D., having joined them in France as

a replacement it seems like the 34th was left with the battle after the 3rd, 45th and 36th

I.D.'s left Italy. Also some other outfits I believe also left. Must have been quite a lonely feeling. Just curious what other I.D.'s were left with you guys ?

Joe; I think that the 34th was a forgotten divn. Kinda like No. Africa was

a forgotten front. I guess we weren't recognized like other divns. like the

!st (Big Red One),3rd,36th,45th.1st Armored,10th Mtn. Joe I am happy

you didn't see action in Italy. Those mountains are kinda high. Roque

What happend to the troops from August 1944 to May 1945. I know that

the Polish troops and I believe the Indian (Kurkha's ) were there.

Yes, they were there with the British 8th Army. My explanation, above, was trying to stay focused on the American units and specifically the 5th Army. The Polish corps and the 10th British Corps was placed under the command of the US 5th Army during the early battles of Cassino. Afterwards, they were moved back to the 8th Army command.

The II Polish Corps was on the left wing of the British 8th Army at the Spring 1945 Offensive. They were the unit to the right of the 5th Army's right wing and they pushed up through Imola, cut Highway 9 and moved in to help take Bologna. Most books say the Poles liberated Bologna, but that was just so they could have some publicity. As you know, the US 34th RED BULLS reached Bologna first. ;)

Steve

:direct:The "Gurkas" were short & were from Nepal or Tibet, not India. The tall turbaned fighters were "Sheiks" from Northern India, (Kashmier) There were several Colonial troop units in Italy. The "Ghoumers" Algeria. They were mean fellows. They wore long shrouds. Morrocco had many troops in Italy.

What happend to the troops from August 1944 to May 1945. I know that

the Polish troops and I believe the Indian (Kurkha's ) were there.

Yes, they were there with the British 8th Army. My explanation, above, was trying to stay focused on the American units and specifically the 5th Army. The Polish corps and the 10th British Corps was placed under the command of the US 5th Army during the early battles of Cassino. Afterwards, they were moved back to the 8th Army command.

The II Polish Corps was on the left wing of the British 8th Army at the Spring 1945 Offensive. They were the unit to the right of the 5th Army's right wing and they pushed up through Imola, cut Highway 9 and moved in to help take Bologna. Most books say the Poles liberated Bologna, but that was just so they could have some publicity. As you know, the US 34th RED BULLS reached Bologna first. ;)

Steve

Thanks Steve. Yes we were there first.

First in Bologna was the 3rd Bn. 133rd Regt. Roque I was with the 135th

I try to dig down to get to the truth. Sometimes it is hard to seperate the bragging rights from the Historical facts.

This is more evident in the Claim of the first unit to enter Rome. In this case there was no international politics. It was a quarrel between various US units. The 1st Special Service Forces, the 36th Division, the Recon unit of the 1st Armored Divisoin and the 88th Infantry Division all claim to the THE FIRST.

What makes it more difficult about Rome is that the city was bigger and had more avenues of approach. Of course there were probably some small armored units acting in independant actions or in support of the infantry. And there was some probing actions that pulled back.

My bet on that one is the 88th Infantry Division was the first into Rome. The 85th Infantry Division was right behind them and they marched past the Coliseum and on through the city.

Steve

I try to dig down to get to the truth. Sometimes it is hard to seperate the bragging rights from the Historical facts.

This is more evident in the Claim of the first unit to enter Rome. In this case there was no international politics. It was a quarrel between various US units. The 1st Special Service Forces, the 36th Division, the Recon unit of the 1st Armored Divisoin and the 88th Infantry Division all claim to the THE FIRST.

What makes it more difficult about Rome is that the city was bigger and had more avenues of approach. Of course there were probably some small armored units acting in independant actions or in support of the infantry. And there was some probing actions that pulled back.

My bet on that one is the 88th Infantry Division was the first into Rome. The 85th Infantry Division was right behind them and they marched past the Coliseum and on through the city.

Steve

Steve; Do you have the book,"Dogfaces who smiled through tears"?

If not Maybe Marion can write the last two paragraphs of page 530!!!!!!!!!

There is nothing more authentic than this book.. Roque

To fully appreciate those two paragraphs you have to read the whole

chapter titled ROME AND POINTS NORTH.

Gen. Keys, II Corps Commander, wanted to clinch some honors for him and his Special Force, 3rd Div., 85th and 88th Divisions, as well as his support troops. He probably had the best solution when he assembled several jeeps and after loading them with representation from each of his units, launched them on an expedition to Rome.

Under the leadership of Capt. Taylor Radcliffe, 1st Special Service Force, a sixty man task force set out on a wild ride past, through and beyond armored vehicles spearheading the attack. According to Dan Kurzman's book, "the Race for Rome", Capt. Radcliffe and his composite Task Force from II Corps. accompanied by a jeepload of correspondents, purportedly entered Rome at 6:00 am June 4th, Kurzman's writings futher indicte a Capt. Pierre Planes, when his tank destryoers became entangled in a column on the highway, moved his armored behicles off the main road and paked them, then proceeded down unimporved roads in jeeps at 9:00 am his contingent, according to Kurzman, became the first Allied unit to reach the center of Rome.

...taken from "Dogfaces Who SMiled Through Tears" by Homer Ankrum, page 530.

The 135th and the 168th Regts. 34th I.D. WE were up in the hills south of Rome

looking at it and we thought we were the one's that were going in but our

comndr.wasn't looking for publicity so we just satthere and watched all

troops go into Rome. We 135th. took off down the hiway towards the Po

valley. I NEVER did see Rome so I don't know what it looks like. All I saw

was the Colloseum as we went by.

Top of page 533 read what it says about my outfit. 1st. Bn. 135th combat Regt.

Roque, pfc by act of Congress

:direct:The "Gurkas" were short & were from Nepal or Tibet, not India. The tall turbaned fighters were "Sheiks" from Northern India, (Kashmier) There were several Colonial troop units in Italy. The "Ghoumers" Algeria. They were mean fellows. They wore long shrouds. Morrocco had many troops in Italy.

Alkincer; I QUESS YOU ARE RIGHT. yOU PROBOBLY SAW MORE OF THEM

THEN IDID. All I saw was maybe four or five out on patrol. Roque

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rocky featured in Italian Newspaper Walt's Daughter 12 12,300 02-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  Info on Italian campaign Walt's Daughter 27 63,000 04-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  The Italian Campaign & animated map Walt's Daughter 1 196,064 03-30-2005, 06:41 PM
Last Post: Custermen