Memoribilia and Collectibles

Oh I AM jealous now. I have some modern road maps of France, Belgium, etc., but none yet of North Africa or Italy or Germany.

Some of my buddies have been sending them from Europe. Thanks friends!

Where did you get that one? It's a beauty!!! :pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Here's a map for you map-lovers. It was carried by a member of the British Expeditionary Force at Dunkirk, 1940. It is a map of the Calais area and has many plotted coordinates on it from field use. Made in 1937 by British Ordnance Survey and marked "NOT FOR PUBLICATION".

post-36-1147538245_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   28526.jpg (Size: 114.08 KB / Downloads: 0)

Where did you get that one? It's a beauty!!!

Marion!! I thought you knew me better than that. eBay of course. That is where I have found most of my maps. This one is basically a civilian map but I'm sure it hung on the wall of some commander, somewhere. In N. Africa, the Army in the field had to resort to civilian Exxon(or such?) maps.

S~

Hey, how often do you speak at the school, etc.?

Not as much as I would like to. I really have not done anything at high school since my daughter graduated from there 2 years ago. I don't go to Parent-Teacher Nite and lost my connecitons.

I mainly put up displays at work and the local library. I have one scheduled for the library in November---Month of Veteran's Day. And I may plan to have a lecture one night on "The Forgotten Front: the Italian Campaign". I'll know more when the time gets nearer. It may be nothing more than a 30-minute talk and show some militaria and then answer questions.

Steve

US Army Maps was/is the job of th corps of Engrs. So when you need maps go to the source.

Jim: The sleeve rank is Navy LT 2 gold stripes and the star should mean supply type. double breasted Blazer was normal wear in Pre- WW2 Navy. DRess uniform.

Thanks Paul. You are absolutely correct. Once again, the engineers are our boys! :pdt34:

Marion J Chard

So, does that mean that when the soldiers got lost, they could blame the EnGinearz ?? No wife to blame. :rolleyes:

Some truly nice pieces! I don't have much WW2 stuff (I can't afford it!!). A couple of plain jane M1 helmets, a luftwaffe M40 and M42, various bits and pieces of web gear, and a couple of medals I picked up at a flea market years ago. The most prized is my great uncle's copy of "We the 48th". I do have a bunch of cold war items, mainly helmets, and the stuff I picked up or kept from Bosnia. For you map folks, I could wallpaper my "war room" with the military map sheets of Bosnia that I have. I also kept my vehicles patrol map with all of the our check points and routes marked. I know it's not WW2, but it is military. :D One neat thing I got over there was a 1943 US quarter that I got as change in the PX. Would love to hear the tales it could tell.

One neat thing I got over there was a 1943 US quarter that I got as change in the PX. Would love to hear the tales it could tell.

Oh yes indeed! Now if we could only coax it into talking. :D:D

I need to photograph all the things the vets have been sending me and place them here. There's no excuse (well ya time, time, time) because I have a new digital. I'll get around to it someday! Now where's my cup of :coffee: ?

Marion J Chard

the British Expeditionary Force at Dunkirk, 1940. It is a map of the Calais area and has many plotted coordinates on it from field use.

Doddaddy,

Your Dunkirk map is quite a find. I have never studied the Dunkirk evacuation in great detail. I was looking at your map and I assume the city to the northern edge is Dunkirk. Oh! Wait. That must be Calais, as that is the name at the top of the map.

It appears from the markings that they disembarked from the beaches along the center of the map, and maybe as far south as that point. Do you know much about the history and where they were picked up??

Wow! By June 1944, that beach would be covered with bunkers for the Atlantic Wall.

Steve