Forums
Info on Richard Conn - 540th Combat Engineer - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: World War II (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Forum: WWII ENGINEERS (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Info on Richard Conn - 540th Combat Engineer (/showthread.php?tid=5159)

Info on Richard Conn - 540th Combat Engineer - Walt's Daughter - 10-21-2016

I desire to become a member I am working on a school project involving a solder in the 540th Engineer Corps. My soldiers name is Richard M Conn and I've looked through your website for about 3 weeks and can not find enough information on him. I've found his census, serial number, and even where he is buried. I'm looking for detailed information about him from February to March 1,1944 , the date of his death.

Thank you

I wrote back and stated...
Sounds like a great project Zane! Thanks for joining.
Unfortunately it's very difficult gleaning info on a specific soldier, so unless the veteran or one of his family members has shared this history, the only thing we are likely to have on site, is the soldier's name, rank and serial number. The 540th (my dad's unit) had two battalions, so that means there were approximately 1500 men who comprised this regiment.
I can try looking for the date in my archived records, to see if I can find anything specific.
Thanks,

This is what i discovered for you, Zane.

Daily Journal Report from Lt Col Monnier

and

Activity Journal from 1st Lt Clifford

From what I can ascertain, it would appear that Richard Conn was part of an air raid that took place on March 2, 1944 at Anzio, Italy. This strike took place at 2310 (that's 11:10 PM) and affected men of F Co, who were billeted, causing massive damage to the building, with 11 known dead and 11 missing, with 12 hospitalized.

Let me know how I can be of further assistance.

Info on Richard Conn - 540th Combat Engineer - Zane Griff - 10-24-2016

Thank you :)

Info on Richard Conn - 540th Combat Engineer - Walt's Daughter - 10-24-2016

You are most welcome. Glad I could assist you with your project!

Info on Richard Conn - 540th Combat Engineer - Walt's Daughter - 01-23-2018

I have been in correspondence with Michael "Cowboy" Stevenson, who is trying to get in touch with Zane. We emailed him, but have not received a reply. Here is Cowboy's first email to me:

I am "Cowboy" of the NATIONAL DRAG SCHOOL YOUTH PROJECTS INC in the capitol region of PA.  Our website is  www.dragschoolusa.org.   Long story but I am writing about the HEROES of DEVILBISS HIGH SCHOOL (toledo, Ohio).  AMong them was a young man named Pvt Richard M. Conn, 22.  He was a DeVilbiss High School graduate.  I noted that someone named "Zane Griff" inquired about him.  Could you please put me in touch with Zane... or send him our message.   My email is below.  Thank you so much.

He sent me the following attachment which is his latest newsletter. Thank you Cowboy. Sure hope we can get in touch with Zane.

Devilbiss Press Release 2018.pdf

Info on Richard Conn - 540th Combat Engineer - Zane Griff - 01-23-2018

I just received an email on my phone from this thread and am shocked. I worked on this project two years ago and did not expect a reply with any more information. Please get in contact with me cowboy, my email is "zanegriff.techs@gmail.com" I look forward to hearing from you.

Info on Richard Conn - 540th Combat Engineer - Walt's Daughter - 01-23-2018

Hi Zane: Oh I am tickled to hear from you.  and I know that Cowboy is going to be downright thrilled. Great day for all. As with so many posts on this site, you truly never know when something will transpire. I've had post from 10 years ago that finally get answers to their questions. You never know when someone comes upon something of interest. :-)