Forums
Hello everyone from new member malcal1211 - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous Topics (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Forum: Introduce Yourself! (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Hello everyone from new member malcal1211 (/showthread.php?tid=4990)

Hello everyone from new member malcal1211 - Saddleblanket - 05-22-2015

Just wanted to say "hi" and express my thanks for allowing me into the site. My name is Mal Callahan from Hendersonville, NC. My grandfather, Jennings Bell, passed away six years ago but only recently have I found some his Army records. His discharge papers state he was with the 342nd Engineer General Service Regiment, Company B.(Enlisted April '42/ discharged May '45) A google search has, fortunately, led me to this group. He would never discuss with me his time during the war, and I would greatly appreciate any info involving his unit. Along with his papers, there were several photos that I will post in the next few weeks. Most of these photos have several men, but no ID's noted on the back. Again, many thanks for your help.

Hello everyone from new member malcal1211 - colinhotham - 05-23-2015

Welcome to the best WW2 site on the web Mal. Looking forward to your future posts.

Colin. :smwave:

Hello everyone from new member malcal1211 - Walt's Daughter - 05-23-2015

Yes, welcome to the forum. It's great that you have taken an interest in your grandfather's military history. Thanks for keeping the memories alive. Hope we can help you and we look forward to hearing more and seeing the images.

Hello everyone from new member malcal1211 - CaptO - 05-27-2015

Welcome! There is a lot of gouge here; enjoy.

Hello everyone from new member malcal1211 - parker - 05-27-2015

Welcome. You couldn't find a better site for people who live and breath WW11. I received so much help and encouragement in my research that I can say it would not have been a success without them. Good luck and if I can be of any help just ask.

Parker

Hello everyone from new member malcal1211 - Jean Jacobson - 05-27-2015

Welcome! And you hit the Jackpot!

Between Marion and the members - it is absolutely amazing what you will find and learn!

Jean

Hello everyone from new member malcal1211 - buk2112 - 08-04-2015

Hello malcal1211, this might give you a little to go on. According to Stanton's WWII Order of Battle the 342nd Engineer General Service Regiment was:

Activated on 12 APR 1942 at Camp Claiborne LA

Staged at Ft. Dix NJ on 2 JUN 1942

Departed New York P/E on 1 JUL 1942

Arrived in England 12 JUL 1942

Landed in France 12 JUN 1944

Crossed into Belgium 23 DEC 1944

Returned to France 2 JAN 1945

Reentered Belgium 9 JAN 1945

Inactivated in France 6 MAY 1946

Campaigns: Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland,Ardennes-Alsace

August 1945 Location: Leige Belgium

Hope this helps you some, good luck with your search!

Hello everyone from new member malcal1211 - Sir Gator - 08-05-2015

Welcome, malcal! This forum has an amazing amount of info and even more amazing people that populate it (see buk2112 above as an example). Enjoy your time and keep up the search. You never know who you may run across to assist you.

Hello everyone from new member malcal1211 - Walt's Daughter - 08-09-2015

Love seeing all the replies to this post, this morning. Love having all of you as members and love knowing that my labor of love has brought so much joy and info to each and everyone of you.

I've been a little preoccupied as of late, and to be honest, haven't been posting as much or as often as I'd like. So if I haven't replied to anyone's emails or posts, or have kept you waiting longer than anticipated, I certainly apologize for that. Sometimes you just get wrapped up in too much and don't know where to start.

Thanks everyone!