Forums
WW 2 ALMOST DID NOT END 1945 - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: PAPA ART (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Forum: The Papa Art Section! (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: WW 2 ALMOST DID NOT END 1945 (/showthread.php?tid=438)

Pages: 1 2

WW 2 ALMOST DID NOT END 1945 - Cadetat6 - 06-27-2005

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/...1/downfall.html

papa Art

WW 2 ALMOST DID NOT END 1945 - texas38 - 06-27-2005

Not too long ago I finished reading, "With The Old Breed," by E.B. Sledge. This guy was a Marine that fought on Peleliu and then Okinawa and later wrote about his experiences there. I am old enough to remember the stories being told in those war years about the ferocity and tenacity of the Japanese; they were real tigers and every inch of territory won from them was paid for, deeply, in lives and in blood, by the troops who were tasked to fight them. If there is anyone out there who still questions the benefits derived from dropping the Bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, then I urge you to read Sledge's book. Simply, he tells it like it was - and it was horrific.

Marilyn

WW 2 ALMOST DID NOT END 1945 - j3rdinf - 07-02-2005

Operation Downfall

The Invasion of Japan, November, 1945

"An Invasion not found in the history books" by James Martin Davis, The Omaha World Herald, November, 1987 ". Yes, the invasion of Japan was a well known fact back in

1945. Many ETO divisions were scheduled to be "pipelined" for it. However thanks to Harry Truman using his head it was not needed as was shown. The "news media" is just

showing a "newsbreaking story" after 40 years. As far as I am concerened it was only

to sell papers. Same as they do now about Iraq, Gitmo and anything. The U.S. ALWAYS has contingencery plans for one hell of a lot of countries, just in case. Along

with manpower needed and probable casualties.

WW 2 ALMOST DID NOT END 1945 - Walt's Daughter - 07-02-2005

Joe:

I have to agree with you. It seems they are now treating this as something new and astounding. What the hell? This was always in the works and never a secret. Yes, I'm sure the details and planned actions were, but everyone in the world knew that we were to invade the Japanese mainland. The only thing that stopped this occurence was the guts of our then president Truman.

It sickens me everytime I hear these young brats admonish our men and government for dropping the BIG ONES. God bless them for doing so. They simply have NO comprehension of the Japanese mindset in pre-1946. NONE! They would have fought until the VERY bitter end and my God, we would have lost millions more on both sides. How dare they play Monday morning quarterback and criticize. It is so easy to do 60 years later and with the world in a totally different frame of mind.

WW 2 ALMOST DID NOT END 1945 - Cadetat6 - 07-04-2005

GOOD old Harry.

If it was not for him there would be no papa Art.

Aug. 14,1945 papa was in Philippine Island (Panay)

training for Japanese Invation.

Happy papa

WW 2 ALMOST DID NOT END 1945 - Reg from the Bulge - 07-06-2005

GOOD old Harry.

Happy papa

Leroy ,

Please tell me more about this .

WW 2 ALMOST DID NOT END 1945 - Walt's Daughter - 07-06-2005

I am glad that Harry dropped the big one because Papa Art might not be around and then we wouldn't have met and then I wouldn't be as happy and then and then... Wow, things could be a whole lot different huh Papa?

:(

WW 2 ALMOST DID NOT END 1945 - Cadetat6 - 07-09-2005

YUP PARTNER,

Harry saved a lot of us.

For those who think he should not have dropped it, you would not be here to-day if he had not dropped it.

papa Art

WW 2 ALMOST DID NOT END 1945 - Walt's Daughter - 07-09-2005

Ah, Papa, sounds like Lennon wants to hear more about your adventure....

QUOTE (Cadetat6 @ Jul 4 2005, 04:48 AM)

GOOD old Harry.

Happy papa 

Leroy ,

Please tell me more about this .

WW 2 ALMOST DID NOT END 1945 - Reg from the Bulge - 08-11-2005

thanks for that link Art