Forums
294th Engineer Combat Battalion - 1944. - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: World War II (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Forum: WWII ENGINEERS (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: 294th Engineer Combat Battalion - 1944. (/showthread.php?tid=419)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

294th Engineer Combat Battalion - 1944. - Walt's Daughter - 01-20-2014

Oh my God and thank God he was "slacking" that day, or he wouldn't be here to tell you that story and others. How frightening to know he was THAT CLOSE.

Jim, thanks for joining and we look forward to hearing more from you and your dad. So glad he is still here among us. :pdt12:

294th Engineer Combat Battalion - 1944. - Walt's Daughter - 02-28-2014

Posting this event for the Vicar who contacted me today. Many thanks to you kind sir!

=====================

Dear Ms Chard

I am the Vicar of Sherborne Abbey in Dorset, UK, and I have discovered your website whilst researching the training accident which occurred on 20th March 1944 on the Sherborne Castle Estate in which 29 members of C Company of the 294th Engineer Battalion were killed. I am particularly grateful for the account of the incident given there by Joe Izzillo.

The 70th anniversary of that tragic accident occurs this year, on Thursday 20th March. As it happens, at 11.00 am the next day, Friday 21st March, we have in Sherborne Abbey at 11.00 am our monthly Commemoration called ‘Remembering the Fallen’. At that Commemoration one page from each of three Books of Remembrance are read: the Dorset Regiment Book of Remembrance from the First World War; ditto from the Second World War, and from the Sherborne Town Second World War Book of Remembrance.

I intend that on 21st March the 29 names of the US soldiers killed in 1944 shall also be read. They are, of course, recorded on a special plaque at the War Memorial in the Abbey Close. Every year on our Remembrance Sunday (the Sunday nearest to 11th November) a member of the US Military places a wreath by the plaque.

If you think this piece of information is worthy of being posted on your website, I and the people of Sherborne would be honoured.

With warmest best wishes

Your sincerely

The Reverend Canon Eric Woods DL

Vicar of Sherborne

Additional email!

================

Dear Marion (if I may – I’m English!)

Thank you so much for your speedy reply to my email. I am fascinated to see how many responses there have already been to the posting.

In response to those who would like to see a clearer image of the memorial tablet in the Close at Sherborne Abbey, I will ask my PA on Monday to send you what we have here. I hope we can help.

The ‘old folks’ in Sherborne still remember with tears that tragic incident on 20th March 1944. Please reassure your followers that we will honour all those who died with both love and dignity. We are not too sure, here in the UK, that the US still considers that it has a ‘special relationship’ with us. But I and my parishioners still believe we have a special relationship with the US!

One other thing: if any of your fellowship are planning to come to the UK at any time, please put them in touch with me. My wife and I would be delighted to offer them hospitality here, and to show them the Memorial in the Close. We can also walk them up to the site of the accident. It is – how shall I put it? – evocative, moving, full of resonances. Non-Christians might describe it as ‘spooky’. But it is not. Your brave soldiers are hallowed there.

Blessings

Eric +

I must admit, I just love hearing this and it warms my heart, as I'm sure it warms the hearts of all the remaining members of the unit, their families, and the entire engineer brotherhood! Thank you Eric and everyone else involved. Three cheers for remembering our "boys"!

294th Engineer Combat Battalion - 1944. - Walt's Daughter - 05-15-2014

Here's a note sent to Joe Izzillo, along with two photos. Thought everyone here would like to see this.

Dear Joe

I thought you might like to see a couple of photographs of the Combat Engineers’ plaques on the Sherborne War Memorial, complete with their 20th March wreath. They are attached. I hope they will be visual evidence of the fact that that tragic accident, and the presence of the Combat Engineers in Sherborne, are still remembered and commemorated here.

I am copying this to Marion but, as I said in an earlier email, my latest messages to her have bounced back. So if you could forward this to her, I would be grateful. I’m hoping she might like to put one of the photographs on the website. The photographer was my PA, Linda Woods – same surname, no relation, endless confusion!

A small package is now on its way to you ‘across the pond’, including a birthday card for the 29th. Whether it will make it in time I don’t know – but here’s hoping!

Every blessing

As ever

Eric

post-2-0-57902600-1400165558_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-08802800-1400165560_thumb.jpg

294th Engineer Combat Battalion - 1944. - donjocko - 05-27-2014

Hi folks, I've been doing some family research and I was hoping someone here might be able to shed some light. I remember my mom talking about her cousin that was killed during D-Day. Another cousin of mine seems to remember him taking part in the assault on Point du Hoc and falling on a grenade. I eventually found his headstone at Arlington and his death certificate from the Army. He was PFC. Stanley E. Price 294 Engr. Cmbt. Bn. Company C. His death certificate has his date of death as 20 June 1944 in St. Mere Eglise. I've not found any record of the 294th taking part in the landings, so I doubt he was part of that. But I'm hoping that maybe someone remembers him or knows something about what Company C did during the early part of the invasion up to June 20. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Don.

294th Engineer Combat Battalion - 1944. - Walt's Daughter - 05-27-2014

This is from earlier in this topic. This was posted by Joe Izzillo, who began as a 294th Engineer and later went onto a topographic engineer unit.

...the 294th went up to Wales and from there sailed to Normandy in the Susan B. Anthony to Utah Beach on June 7, 1944. As they approached the beach, the ship hit two mines and sank. Destroyers came alongside and were able to rescue all the men on board. They lost all of their equipment. Later, they were reequipped and went on with the war...

294th Engineer Combat Battalion - 1944. - Walt's Daughter - 05-27-2014

BTW, welcome to the forum. I'm sure we can help you find out even more. This topic of discussion is filled with tidbits.

294th Engineer Combat Battalion - 1944. - Walt's Daughter - 06-20-2014

Sent to me today:

Sgt Donald J Walsh

T/5 Francis X Gallagher

T/5 Warren F Frapp

T/5 Lawrence C Sbaratta

PFC Francis J Murphy

PFC Martin A Norton

PVT Charles W Brinkofski

PVT Robert M Bucella

PVT Edward D Chiarieri

PVT Anthony Cutrone

PVT John P Deevy

PVT John W Gadek

PVT Robert Gladen Jr

PVT George E Gundy

PVT Harry B Hanschka

PVT Joseph B Henning

PVT Leonard B Kerr

PVT Stephen E Kisiorowski

PVT Roger E Kroeger

PVT Leo A Lyon

PVT John J Mc Hugh

PVT Thomas S Nicol

PVT Conrad Propp

PVT Robert J Ready

PVT Anthony T Russo

PVT Andrew T Waarbeek

PVT Fred C Tracey

PVT J Zanelli

Regards Martin

294th Engineer Combat Battalion - 1944. - Walt's Daughter - 04-29-2016

A new member wrote to me and asked if I could upload the info on his father and the 294th. I just uploaded it to the main site this morning and am sharing it with you here.

Dear Marion

Thank you for the WW2 work you are doing. I appreciate the opportunity to join the community.

My name is James Calabrese. My father was Joseph Anthony (Joey/Tony) Calabrese. He served in WW2 as a member of the 294th Combat Engineers. He died at age 48 (I was 21) before I had a chance to take him to Normandy and hear his history, one of my greatest regrets. I have been to Normandy six times and have studied Utah Beach and the battle extensively.

While my dad was stationed in Sherborne, the town of the mine explosion, he met and married my mom, Daphne Hanney. Mom was born in Sherborne and lived there all her life before she moved to New York City in 1946 as a WW2 War Bride. My dad met my mom’s brothers, my uncles, John and Rex Hanney members of the Dorset Regiment, both of whom served in WW2. Although an American, I have been honored to become an Associate Member of the Dorset Regiment.

As a boy I lived in England, and visited my grandmother in Sherborne. She took me to see the 294th Plaque .

I have been trying to find out what Company my dad was in, so far no luck. I noticed a photo of Company B in your thread. I remember my dad talking about John Bott, his nickname “Swede” being in his unit, I think that he might be in the photo. (He became a contractor and built our first house, that was in New Jersey ). If Swede is in the photo, then I think that I see my dad in it. My dad talked about Lt. Donahoe, also in the unit.

I hope to find out all the information I wish I had asked my father.

If invited to join I believe that I will become a contributing member of the Community. Thank you…..james calabrese

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/docs/Engineers/Joseph%20Anthony%20Calabrese%20-%20294th.pdf