Forums
294th Engineer Combat Battalion - 1944. - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: World War II (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Forum: WWII ENGINEERS (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: 294th Engineer Combat Battalion - 1944. (/showthread.php?tid=419)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

294th Engineer Combat Battalion - 1944. - Bob Mehm - 08-26-2010

Marion, my Dad's name was the same, Robert Adam Mehm. I have a different middle name.

I do have a book from his unit, but I will have to look since I have moved since the last time I knew where it was. I will keep you informed. I am a communications engineer for the AF, kind of keeping the tradition going.

Bob

294th Engineer Combat Battalion - 1944. - Walt's Daughter - 08-26-2010

Well that will be easy to remember!

I hope you can find that. Would love to see part or all of it in the near future.

Thanks for your service to our country, and for keeping the engineering spirit alive and kicking.

All the best,

M1

294th Engineer Combat Battalion - 1944. - ChrisL - 10-01-2010

Hello all,

Looking for information on 249th Engineer Combat Battalion, Company C. My Grandfather inlaw, George Memmer, was in this battalion. George passed away a few years back and his wife just passed away two weeks ago. We just found information on his battalion by finding his discharge papers. His Granddaughter and Great Grandsons are interested what and where the 294th served in WWII. George said very little about his time in WWII. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hello,

My Uncle Jay Wingate was a Lieutenant in the 294th Engineer Combat Battalion, Company C. He was in charge of Company C on the day of the anti-tank mine accident in Sherborne and served with Company C from Normandy to Berlin. I interviewed Uncle Jay this past July and recorded the interview with my HD camcorder and made a DVD of it. In the interview Uncle Jay explained the actual cause of the explosion. He also discussed in detail the activities of the 294th from Normandy to Berlin. Jay even has a map of western Europe that shows where they went. I made a digital copy of the map and will gladly send it to you if you would like to see it. I will be happy to provide other information about the 294th if you would like. Please contact me if you are interested in obtaining more information.

Sincerely,

Chris

294th Engineer Combat Battalion - 1944. - mckeever - 12-30-2010

Greetings,

Just a quick note. My dad was in the company that lost all the men from Jersey City. His Guardian Angel was looking over him and he had the duty to drive an officer around that day. They had just returned and were in the mess tent when the explosion occured. He always talked about having to recover the remains of the guys who were killed. He had other stories and I wish we had recorded them all. My brother has some of the maps and books that he brought back with him from the war. By any chance do you remember my dad, Ken McKeever?

Cordially,

Ken McKeever

294th Engineer Combat Battalion - 1944. - Walt's Daughter - 12-30-2010

Hello Chris and Ken:

Welcome to the forum. I hope you are finding information you can use. It's great to have so many participating in this topic.

Oh Ken, I am removing your email addresses from the post. I urge people not to post them because it only leads to you to personally experience problems from hackers and no-gooders! Forum members can reach each other by clicking on the usernames while logged in. Just trying to save you major problems in the future.

294th Engineer Combat Battalion - 1944. - rvermar - 12-11-2012

M1,

Thank you for forwarding Chris's email. I have sent him the two photos I have from my Sherborne visit in 2005 in the original format. The plaque is easily readable so I'm sure they will do.

Colin.

I, too, am interested in copies of the memorial photos at Sherborne. My 1st cousin once removed was killed in that tragedy. I'd especially like the photo with his name on the plaque: Andrew Ter Waarbeek.

I sent you a PM about a week ago, but maybe it got misdirected.

Thanks for the info that you and others have provided about this tragic event. No one in my family's recent history knew what had happened to Andrew other than he "died in the War."

Marilyn

294th Engineer Combat Battalion - 1944. - Walt's Daughter - 12-12-2012

Colin will be pleased to see your post. Welcome to the forum, Marilyn. Sorry to hear about your cousin. So very sad.

294th Engineer Combat Battalion - 1944. - rvermar - 01-18-2013

Colin will be pleased to see your post. Welcome to the forum, Marilyn. Sorry to hear about your cousin. So very sad.

No answer yet from Colin. Do you think he is still on this board?

294th Engineer Combat Battalion - 1944. - Walt's Daughter - 01-20-2013

I just sent him a note. We correspond all the time, but I haven't heard from him in a couple of weeks.

294th Engineer Combat Battalion - 1944. - jimbo - 01-19-2014

My father, Ed Schulhafer, age 90, was a member of the 294th Engineer Combat Battalion Company C. He was with another group of men that had laid mines on a plot of ground right next to the one where the men were killed.

He was responsible for sketching the location of the mines so that they could later be located. He was busy with his sketch as his fellow soldiers were telling him to hurry up. Had he listened, their truck would have been right behind the

one that was blown up.

Jim