Forums
Farewell G. Paul Blackburn - 36th Combat Engineer - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: NEWS & ADDITIONS (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Announcements, Get Well Wishes & Farewells (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Farewell G. Paul Blackburn - 36th Combat Engineer (/showthread.php?tid=3601)

Farewell G. Paul Blackburn - 36th Combat Engineer - Walt's Daughter - 12-29-2010

Hi. I’ve read the information on your web site from time to time, particularly since my great uncle Paul Blackburn was mentioned. Paul was a motor sergeant for Art Cook. Paul passed away earlier this week on Christmas. He was 91 years old. I’ve copied a link to his obituary below. Just thought you’d like to know.

Thank you for a wonderful web site. It is amazing what these men went through and accomplished during world war II. I’m glad that you’ve been capturing some of the recollections of what these men did.

Forrest Blackburn

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/timesrepo...p;pid=147459180

G. Paul Blackburn

age 91 of Cadiz, Ohio died Christmas day, Dec. 25, 2010 after a long battle with Alzheimer's. He was born in Bloomingdale, Ohio on March 1, 1919, one of several children of the late George and Maude Parks Blackburn. Paul was preceded in death by five brothers, Ralph, Wilbur, Raymond, Wayne and Doyle Blackburn; and a sister, Sarah Carman. Paul was one of the last living graduates of the Class of 1937 from the Hopedale High School. After graduation, he was drafted into the U.S. Army in a newly organized regiment of the 36th Combat Engineers at Plattsburg, N.Y. Paul was a Master Sergeant in charge of the motor equipment in the battalion. He and his company were in a five different invasions starting in Africa, then Sicily, Italy and France, always being the first men on the beaches. After the war, he went to work at the Carson Auto Parts in Cadiz, Ohio. Paul married his wife of 64 years, Ruth Dickey Blackburn on Dec. 8, 1946. During this time Paul and Hugh Holligan of Bergholz, Ohio, partnered and purchased the Saline Oil Company in Salineville, Ohio which they operated for over 20 years. The two men then purchased land near Richmond, Ohio and started and operated the Spring Hills Golf Course for several years. After retirement, he and Ruth moved back to Cadiz, Ohio where they have lived for the last 25 years. Paul was an active member of the Salineville Masonic Lodge #348 where he was a past master and held several other offices. He also was active and held an office as a director in the Cadiz Lions Club.

He is survived by his wife, Ruth Dickey Blackburn of Cadiz; a daughter, Janice (Walter) Ward of Florida; three grandsons; six great-grandchildren; and several loving nephews and nieces.

Friends may call at the Blackburn Funeral Home at 324 High Street in Hopedale, Ohio on Tuesday, Dec. 28, 2010 from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. with services there on Wednesday, Dec. 29 at 1 p.m. The Rev. R.J. Leek will officiate. Burial will follow at the Cadiz Union Cemetery. Masonic services will be held on Tuesday evening at 8:45 p.m. The Salineville Lodge will provide honor. Military honors will be provided by the Hopedale American Legion.

--------------

Ah, another one of my buddies is gone. There is no GOOD time to die, but how sad to pass on Christmas Day. Sigh!

My condolences to all the men of the 36th, and to all his family and friends, especially his dear wife Ruth. You shall be missed but never forgotten, for your face and will grace our pages and your memory carried on forever in my documentary. Rest in peace.

Farewell G. Paul Blackburn - 36th Combat Engineer - Walt's Daughter - 12-29-2010

Here are two photos

The second one features Paul Blackburn, Thomas Farrell and Art Cook, a dear friend.

post-2-1293620308_thumb.jpg

post-2-1293620461_thumb.jpg

Paul is front row, extreme left, in group photo. These were taken in 2006 at the reunion.

In the next one, he and his lovely bride Ruth, with Greg Gringle.

post-2-1293621615_thumb.jpg

post-2-1293621873_thumb.jpg