Forums
George Jackson, 326th Airborne Engineering Battalion - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: World War II (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Forum: WWII ENGINEERS (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: George Jackson, 326th Airborne Engineering Battalion (/showthread.php?tid=3600)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

George Jackson, 326th Airborne Engineering Battalion - Walt's Daughter - 02-06-2011

Thanks so much. I certainly appreciate your comments. You helped make a great day even better!

Working on part two and am very hopeful you will like it as well.

Have a great day and I'm sure when you get it done, it will be worth the wait.

George Jackson, 326th Airborne Engineering Battalion - vette97 - 04-04-2011

Progress! Finally, I finished up editing the interview. We discussed so many things throughout nearly 2 hours of discussion and I wanted to keep it in chronological order and relevant to his time in the war, so this required a lot of time set aside to concentrate. I also needed to adjust the audio since my camera placed a very annoying hiss into the recording which I was able to notch out. Now, I just want to include an introduction, some of his pictures and then split the clip so it can be uploaded in sections. I should have about 1 hour 30 minutes when complete.

I received a letter from George a few weeks back saying how meeting me, talking about his time in the war, and conducting this interview has brought up so many good memories from the past and how this has made a huge positive impact on his life! I was so deeply touched by this. I can't wait to share his stories!

George Jackson, 326th Airborne Engineering Battalion - Walt's Daughter - 04-04-2011

Tremendous news. I am very happy to hear all this. You did a great service, for you let a WWII tell his story, created a lasting friendship and are sharing it with the world so no one will forget. Can't wait.

George Jackson, 326th Airborne Engineering Battalion - vette97 - 04-23-2011

It's with great pleasure to announce that I was able to perform the necessary editing of the interview, and I found a utility which allowed me to change the bitrate, so that the 6 part series wouldn't take 3 weeks to upload to YouTube (it only took the greater part of one day). The link to the playlist can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=BC2738D08E1055C7

Many thanks to everyone, especially Marion, for the guidance and feedback throughout this process. It has been an honor to produce this interview and I hope that everyone who watches it can learn a little bit more about what it was like to participate in the war. Even though this interview is very long, George is very fun to listen to! I'm honored to have him as a friend.

Thank you,

Pat Freeman

George Jackson, 326th Airborne Engineering Battalion - vette97 - 08-22-2011

I just got off the phone with George. A member of the National WWII Museum performed his own interview after finding out about George on the Internet. He was surprised and happy! Apparently, his story is spreading.

George finally got the answer he was looking for, as to why he had to be selected to go with those gliders, rather than jump in Holland with the rest of his unit. Larry Miller, a historian with the Museum, let him know that they needed engineers to come in on that glider on that day to help repair a bridge if it was blown up. George is finally happy to get an answer after 60-some years. I'm so happy for him!

George Jackson, 326th Airborne Engineering Battalion - Walt's Daughter - 08-23-2011

Wow, this is a wonderful turn of events for both of you. Thanks for posting all the latest regarding George.

I am thrilled he is thrilled with all that's happened, especially him finding out the answer to that question after ALL THESE YEARS!

Send him a big hug and kiss from me.

:huggybears:

George Jackson, 326th Airborne Engineering Battalion - vette97 - 09-17-2011

Thank you! He's really high on life right now. He's so amazed at all the attention. It's a great thing to enjoy it with him when I do get to see him.

He passed along to me that the unit he was with was the 167th Combat Engineers prior to volunteering for Airborne duty. I was able to find him in the roster:

http://167thengineercombatbattalion.com/Documents/HS%20Transferred.htm

It's neat to come across this stuff, bits and pieces, as time goes one.

George Jackson, 326th Airborne Engineering Battalion - Walt's Daughter - 09-17-2011

Ah, more good news. I'm happy he is enjoying his well-deserved fame. And also happy both of you have learned more about the 167th ECB's.

George Jackson, 326th Airborne Engineering Battalion - vette97 - 01-05-2018

It's been 7 years and I've neglected this thread.  My apologies.  I just wanted to report that George is still doing very well.  As time has gone on, he has been interviewed by many different folks, including the Nat'l WWII Museum, and local historians.  He wears his WWII Veteran hat and rarely has to pay for meals when he's out in public.  The cold weather in Eastern PA hasn't kept him down.  His truck battery died in the cold so he went out to charge it so he could plow the driveway.  He's still very active!  He even came to WWII Weekend at Reading, PA in June 2017 year and did some dancing!  I have a photo of he and I at the dance, attached.  I didn't expect him to be there, because we were unable to sync up on the phone prior to the event.  During the playing of the Army Song, he came out of the crowd and I ran to him after it was over for a hug.  It was great to see him again as it's been a few years, even though we talk on the phone.

I also recently started using Ancestry.com to look into my family tree.  While I was there, I found the grand-niece of George and shared with her the link to his interview.  She was amazed to hear the details and her family is going to get in touch with George soon to talk with him about family information for their family tree.  I also looked up his buddy Dick Werner, who died on Oct 5, 1944 in the Netherlands.  I was able to find some other family trees that had Dick in them, but none of the owners have gotten back with me yet.  George regrets he never reached out to Dick's parents when George made it home to the states.  I hope to find someone who might have old photos, letters or memories of Dick, that I can get talking to George.  I would love to have George's wish to talk to Dick's family completed.  He also wishes he could have seen Dick's grave marker.  I found that pretty easily through Ancestry:  https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/56305115/richard-w-werner/photo

Finally, I picked up the book Bridging Hell's Highway: The 326th Engineer Battalion During Operation Market Garden, July 2011, by John Sliz, ISBN: 978-0-9783838-6-2.  I didn't know this existed until it turned up on a search I did recently.  Amazon delivered it today and it's very small, but has valuable information in it which I want to share with George.  I believe we can now identify the exact area and bridge his unit was responsible for.

Happy New Year!

Pat

meandgeorge.jpg

george and rebecca.jpg

George Jackson, 326th Airborne Engineering Battalion - Walt's Daughter - 01-06-2018

Pat:  So good to hear from you. It was such a surprise to see your post this morning and was even more delighted to hear that George is still with us. Please send him my love. The photos are great and he looks like he hasn't lost his step. God bless him.

You know what? I haven't seen that book either. Even though you say it's a tiny book, still every time we find something, it just adds more to our stories and fills in another gap. Wonderful.

A few years back, our group held our WWII reunion in Reading. We had a splendid time and a nice turn out. We weren't there in June, but met in October.

Keep in touch and really, so glad to see you here once again.  :wub: