Forums
Fave WWII movies - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: World War II (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Forum: TV Shows, Film, Videos (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Fave WWII movies (/showthread.php?tid=358)

Pages: 1 2

Fave WWII movies - Walt's Daughter - 05-14-2005

Okay, we need a new general topic discussion. Tell me about your favorite WWII movies/documentaries...

Here we go...

One of our favorites is Tora, Tora, Tora!

Fave WWII movies - Bader40 - 05-14-2005

Blimey, where should i start? there are so many, many of them are those old black and white British films (if John Mills starred in it then it had to be a good film....God rest his soul).

Anyway here's my list and in no particular order:

1. Battle of Britain.

2. The Dambusters.

3. In which we serve

4. Zulu

5. Band of Brothers

6. Das Boot (with the English subtitles)

7. Ice cold in Alex.

Fave WWII movies - texas38 - 05-14-2005

Hmmm....eenie, meenie, minie, moe....

I think my favorite is "Battleground", the WWII movie about the Battle of the Bulge with Van Johnson, Ricardo Montaban, and the incomparable James Whitmore playing the crusty sergeant. The movie came out in 1949 and it made a big impression on me. Of course, we kids were constantly reinacting the movie. Then it snowed. In Texas! One of those rare occurrences, but it snowed. Oh, boy! Dust off the lines for "Battleground" and let fly with your imagination! One could really get into the role since we had real snow and gee whiz! - was it ever cold. "Band of Brothers" is in a class by itself. The excellence of this series sets it apart from all the others. But if you're talking regular Hollywood movies, those made before "Band of Brothers", then I have to go with "Battleground."

Marilyn

Ah Bader, Das Boot. A new classic. Realistic, scary and claustrophobic. First rate all the way. Can't disagree with that one. Have watched it several times already.

Battleground. It has been a while for me. Now you give me the incentive to go back and watch once again. Thanks!

Fave WWII movies - texas38 - 05-15-2005

Just thought of another WWII movie that I never tire of watching no matter how many times I've seen it before: The Enemy Below with Robert Mitchum, Curt Jurgens and Theodore Bikel. This movie is about an American destroyer captain on the hunt for a German u-boat commanded by Curt Jurgens. The story is so well-written and acted that I always end up crunched in a tight ball just from the suspense of it all.

Fave WWII movies - Cadetat6 - 05-15-2005

I am from the Romanic era of 1940's

" BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES "

papa

Fave WWII movies - Jiggersfromsphilly - 05-15-2005

I could divide it into 2 catagories Realistic and willing suspension of disbelief.

In no particular order

The Caine Mutiny

Tora Tora Tora

Guadalcanal Diary

A Walk in the Sun

Battleground

The Story of GI Joe

Bataan

They Were Expendable

PT 109

Paratroop Battalion

Objective Burma

Task Force

Merrills Mauraders

A Bridge Too Far

The Longest Day

Destination Tokyo

The Battle of Britan

Cockleshell Heros

Desert Rats

Desert Fox

Das Boot

Twelve O'Clock High

666 Squadron

The Dambusters

To name a few.

Fave WWII movies - Walt's Daughter - 05-15-2005

Oooo, oooo, A Bridge Too Far. My gosh I have probably seen that one 20 times. One of my very faves. When I was sick a couple of months ago, my hubby got it out for me again. He thought I would love to lay there and watch while I was sick because I was also reading George K's book, Hell's Highway at the time too. Now this man knows how to make me happy! :lol:

Fave WWII movies - Walt's Daughter - 05-15-2005

Bader -

An interesting tidbit on Zulu. If you've ever noticed a Lt named Chard, well, that's our relative! B)