Forums
Willie and Joe - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: World War II (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Forum: WWII Humor (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Willie and Joe (/showthread.php?tid=287)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Willie and Joe - Walt's Daughter - 11-15-2006

The Leaky Tree

Thank Moose for this one! :pdt34:

post-19-1163626211_thumb.jpg

Willie and Joe - j3rdinf - 11-22-2006

Roque: Sent the book out yesterday via USPS priority mail. You should have it by

friday or saturday.

Willie and Joe - Walt's Daughter - 10-11-2007

Received this tonight:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

History Revealed- Bill Mauldin and Jules Feiffer

The Jean Albano Gallery is pleased to announce an exhibition, History Revealed, featuring work by famed cartoonists BILL MAULDIN and JULES FEIFFER. The show opens on Friday, October 26, 2007, and will run through Saturday, January 6, 2008. The gallery will host an opening reception on Friday, October 26, from 5:30 to 7:30 pm at 215 West Superior Street, Chicago. This exhibition will explore subtleties between the work of these two men, whose editorial cartoons continue to be socially and politically relevant. Original watercolor drawings, editorial cartoons, and Feiffer’s illustrations from The Long Chalkboard (2006) will be shown. In addition, new limited edition prints by Bill Mauldin will be featured, including a special limited edition printing of Mauldin’s iconic “Weeping Lincoln†image.

The late cartoonist BILL MAULDIN is remembered for his depiction of life in the trenches during World War II. Stationed in Europe during the war, Mauldin drew cartoons for the Stars and Strips featuring two infantrymen named Willie and Joe. In 1945, Mauldin won his first Pulitzer Prize, “for distinguished service as a cartoonist, as exemplified by the series entitled ‘Up Front with Mauldin.†Mauldin became staff cartoonist for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch in 1959. In the same year, he won his second Pulitzer for a cartoon entitled I won the Nobel Prize for Literature. What was your crime? In 1962, Mauldin moved to the Chicago Sun-Times, where he worked until his retirement in 1991. One of Mauldin’s most famous cartoons, depicting the statue of Abraham Lincoln at the Lincoln Memorial holding his head in his hands, appeared in the paper after the assassination of John F. Kennedy in 1963. Mauldin passed away at the age of 81 in 2003.

JULES FEIFFER is a legendary, multi-dimensional personality whose talent is reflected in his many endeavors, including his beautifully composed and engaging artwork. In 2003, Feiffer was honored with a solo exhibition, Julz Rulz: Inside the Mind of Jules Feiffer, at the New York Historical Society. In addition, Feiffer’s most recent play, A Bad Friend, was commissioned by and performed at Lincoln Center, New York in summer, 2003. HiHJules Feiffer is known for his internationally syndicated cartoon strip, which ran for 40 years in The Village Voice and as a monthly feature in The New York Times. He is the author of over 35 books, including the children’s books By the Side of the Road, (2002) and I Lost My Bear (1998). He has written film scripts, among them Popeye (1980) and Carnal Knowledge (1971), and won an Academy Award for Munro (1960), an animated cartoon based on his story. Feiffer won the Obie and Outer Critics Circle Awards for his first full-length play, Little Murders, in 1969. He lives and works in New York City.

Gallery hours are Tuesday through Friday, from 10:00 am until 5:00 pm, and Saturday from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm, or by appointment. For further information, please contact Sarah Kaliski or Lindsey Walton at 312.440.0770.

Jean Albano Gallery

215 West Superior Street

Chicago, Illinois 60610

312.440.0770 fax 312.440.3103

www.jeanalbanogallery.com

post-2-1192150064_thumb.jpg

Willie and Joe - roque_riojas - 10-11-2007

When I went to San Antonio and on the way back I stayed in Ok. City, with Martha,

she took me to the 45th Divn. Museum there. It is a huge place. It was on a Monday,

last Monday, and it was closed but the Curator was there and when he saw my cap,

(34th Inf. Divn.), he gave me a personal tour, that lasted over an hour. Anyway there

is one HUGE room filled with Bill Mauldins' sketches, BUT the one I was looking for was

not there. So I asked the Curator about it and he rememberd so we went to the office and he found it. and the book. put the open book on a machine and he MADE me a 8x11 copy.

and all he said was, THIS IS FROM THE 45th to the 34th.!!!! What a prize, Bill Mauldin

drew it when the 34th reached 600 days of combat. I walked out of that Museum

like I was 10ft. tall. The Curator standing at the door justa grinin'.

The sketch was of Willie and Joe walking with canes and had beards 2 ft. long

Joes' shirt had the RED BULL patch. Roque,(Rocky) :armata_PDT_01::armata_PDT_37:

Willie and Joe - texas38 - 10-12-2007

What a nice story. I am so glad for you that you got not only a special tour of the museum but a copy of Bill Mauldin's cartoon that meant so much to you! After all, nothing is too good for you guys who served our country during the war.

Sincerely,

Marilyn

Willie and Joe - Walt's Daughter - 10-12-2007

Rocky:

What a wonderful story. How kind of him to open the museum for you and he surely went out of his way to make you feel welcome. There are a lot of nice people in this world, and he is indeed one of them.

I am sure that Willie and Joe will have a special place of honor in your home. :armata_PDT_37:

Willie and Joe - roque_riojas - 10-12-2007

M-1, I'm going to put it in a frame and mount it next to the pic. of Pres. and Mrs Bush and me

It's a dandy. As soon as I can get the film developed I will send you some pics. Just hope

they come out ok. especialy the ones I took of Willie and joe. Rocky

Willie and Joe - Walt's Daughter - 10-13-2007

Thanks! Now how did I know you were going to do that...

:wub:

Willie and Joe - 206thmpco - 10-15-2007

So cool Rocky!!! :armata_PDT_37: It's so great that they gave you

a personal tour and treated you so well. Like Marilyn said - nothing

is too good for you guys!! :14_2_108:

My Dad loved Bill Mauldin! The MPs were "victims" of his humor, but

my father thought it was HILARIOUS. He loved the cartoon of

the MP in the crossroads foxhole with only his hand visible.

There's another one that he especially liked - if I remember it

correctly, it had Willie & Joe on a troop ship on bunks & there's a

duffel bag with "Salerno, Anzio" written on it & Willie says to Joe:

"I hope the beach ain't too rocky. My feet are awful sensitive

since they got webbed". (that's how I remember it anyway).

Here's Bill Mauldin photos from Lone Sentry. I never knew that he got his

drawing ink from the COMBAT ENGINEERS! :armata_PDT_25: :pdt34:

http://www.lonesentry.com/features/f30_bill_mauldin.html

mary ann

Willie and Joe - Sgtleo - 10-24-2007

:argue::argue:

This is one of my favorites. A Newbie(Banana Bar) 2nd Lt.

talking to one of my troops(LOL). He's asking why the man

is dressed like this and how long he has been in the Army

Honest to goodness we actually had one of these so-called(ASTP) Officers!!!

Newbie.jpg

Sgtleo :banghead::banghead: