Forums
A Little Ardennes Tour - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: World War II (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Forum: OTHER WWII UNIT STORIES AND INFO (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: A Little Ardennes Tour (/showthread.php?tid=2557)

Pages: 1 2

A Little Ardennes Tour - Frank Gubbels - 10-20-2008

To all.

Last weekend I made a small Ardennes tour. I was doubting the whole day if I should start a topic about it but, because of different interests here, I decided to share this with you.

First I went to La Gleize. The 119th infantry regiment of the 30th Old Hickory division fought here against Kampfgruppe Peiper. The Kampfgruppe was held up and had to retreat. There is a museum in La Gleize with a tiger tank in front of the door.

La Gleize pictures part 1.

The Tiger tank

dsc6848kleineraf5.jpg

Little monument at the side of the museum

dsc6850kleinerrg4.jpg

German troopers surrenders to American troopers. (Old Hickory :14_1_107v: )

dsc6853kleineryt2.jpg

What was George Luz saying in Carentan???

dsc6861kleineron3.jpg

First picture of La Gleize area.

dsc6865kleineraw4.jpg

La Gleize itself

dsc6866kleineroc0.jpg

Overlooking the valley from La Gleize.

dsc6867kleinerpl0.jpg

Then I went to Stavelot where the 117th infantry Regiment of the Old Hickory fought. It was a little bit dissapointing. Bad smell!!! I found a monument and a halftrack which you can see on the pictures below.

Stavelot was liberated for the first time at the same day as our little village. Then there was a heavy fighting and you can see which units were involved.

dsc6874kleinerjx4.jpg

Another plaque.

dsc6876kleinerhf5.jpg

And the monument with the plaques.

dsc6877kleiner1mq6.jpg

The halftrack. Behind the halftrack you can see the bridge which was used by Kampfgruppe Peiper to cross the Ambleve river.

dsc6884kleinereq6.jpg

After Stavelot I went to Malmedy. It was my intention to go to Baugnez where the Malmedy massacre took place. About 80 American prisoners where killed by men from Kampfgruppe Peiper. Only 2 Americans survived the massacre. In Malmedy I drove in the wrong direction so I had to turn <_< . Then traffic jam :cuss: and so it became 5.45 when I arrived at Baugnez and the museum closed 15 minutes later. So I have to go back up there. I went to the monument of the Malmedy Massacre which is on a crossroads 100 meters from the new Baugnez museum.

An erie place.

First stone.

dsc6902kleinerui8.jpg

No words can be added to this....

dsc6905kleinerss0.jpg

The monument in autumn.

dsc6907kleinerlg3.jpg

All the troopers who were massacred have their names in the wall.

dsc6910kleinergj7.jpg

As you can see here.

dsc6912kleinerwa8.jpg

Well that's it. I had to go back home. When I make another tour I will surely post another trip report here.

Regards,

Frank

A Little Ardennes Tour - verow - 10-21-2008

Great pictures, as usual, Frank! once Again . I' m jealous! :armata_PDT_19:

But, I would go certainly soon also .

PS: Frank, you did not take your GPS .

You would not have taken the wrong direction .

Then , Found you in a traffic jam . I joke :frown:

Vee ;)

A Little Ardennes Tour - Frank Gubbels - 10-21-2008

Hey Vee.

I've been there before so I was so smart to think that I didn't need GPS :doh: . But I expected some jokes about that and I don't care.

A Little Ardennes Tour - Reg from the Bulge - 07-14-2009

To all.

Last weekend I made a small Ardennes tour. I was doubting the whole day if I should start a topic about it but, because of different interests here, I decided to share this with you.

First I went to La Gleize. The 119th infantry regiment of the 30th Old Hickory division fought here against Kampfgruppe Peiper. The Kampfgruppe was held up and had to retreat. There is a museum in La Gleize with a tiger tank in front of the door.

La Gleize pictures part 1.

The Tiger tank

dsc6848kleineraf5.jpg

Little monument at the side of the museum

dsc6850kleinerrg4.jpg

German troopers surrenders to American troopers. (Old Hickory :14_1_107v: )

dsc6853kleineryt2.jpg

What was George Luz saying in Carentan???

dsc6861kleineron3.jpg

First picture of La Gleize area.

dsc6865kleineraw4.jpg

Hi Frank ,

Great photo's .

The tank in front of the La Gleize Museum is a 60 ton "King" Tiger .

Peiper made it all his way through La Gleize without any resistance untill he reached Stoumont Station about 5 miles down that road where the Ambleve connects to the railroad tracks .

In fact Tank commander Cohen got all the credits for stopping Peipper's advance and the 82nd was just around the corner but the 110 AAA Bn already managed to take two of the first three tanks with their anti aircraft guns supported by a 143 AAA gun that was located next to the old station building . The rest of Peipper's convoy managed to use the gap in the lines and got away throught the southern part .

110AAAStoumont2.png

110AAAStoumont1.png

Thanks for the pics . Keep 'em posted and a little early but HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!

Reg

A Little Ardennes Tour - Walt's Daughter - 07-15-2009

Somehow I managed to miss this post. What a shame, for the photos are A-1! The First picture of La Gleize area is just beautiful. Hard to believe so much hardship and death could occur there, for it looks so peaceful and tranquil.

I loved how they placed the names of soldiers on the stone wall.

Reg nice maps with arrows. It's cool that we can do things like that and show everyone the exact locations on terrain maps.

BTW, it's good to see you here Reg. :armata_PDT_01:

A Little Ardennes Tour - Frank Gubbels - 07-15-2009

Thank you very much for the additional information Reg.

A Little Ardennes Tour - Ronald - 07-16-2009

Very nice pictures Frank

Ronald

A Little Ardennes Tour - Frank Gubbels - 07-16-2009

Thank you Ron but I see that some pictures aren't visible anymore. Will re-upload them ASAP.

Frank