Forums
292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous Topics (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Forum: Introduce Yourself! (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: 292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) (/showthread.php?tid=2447)

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Jeweler - 03-06-2016

Randy,

Thanks! Yep, that's him. He ended the war as a corporal, so this must be late 1944 / early 1945? Or who knows??? I don't even know what a Marching Party is. The list is classified as Secret, so it must be something during their stay in Europe.

Pete

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 03-06-2016

Here is one for Pete. It is a Marching Party list from one of the Morning Reports, I'm afraid I do not currently have a date for this document. The arrow points to his uncle's name, Pvt Dean F Belmonte. The ASN is a little fuzzy but I believe it is #36900101. Have a good day everyone!

Randy

attachicon.gifIMG (989x1280).jpg

I think we'd all agree... Randy, you are the master of 292nd info who generously disseminates that info. I am inspired to work hard for you and all here to reciprocate as much info as I can find so I can feel like I am doing my part. We are all lucky to have found you or for you to have found us on this forum. :)

Just my two cents worth, my friend!

Gary

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Walt's Daughter - 03-07-2016

I've never run across those exact words "marching party", but am sure it means the same thing as marching orders. Just when you think you've seen it all.

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Tony's Boy - 03-09-2016

Hello everyone,

I just posted on the other string forum about my background but wanted to introduce myself here as well. My grandfather was Anton "Tony" Pagoria from La Salle, IL and was a member of C Company of the 292nd. Pete - very likely your uncle and my grandfather knew each other since both were in the same company and both Italians from Illinois.

His information was drafted as a plumber, but was placed in the 669th Engineer Topographical Corps, 1149th Combat Group. The 669th was a transportation corps unit that included railroad training. This was a natural fit for him since his occupation prior to the war was a Railway Section Hand. He trained at Camp Clairborne, Lousiana. He was the last of his italian brothers to be enlist/be drafted. He was the 6th of his family to be in WWII and the first 6 star family in La Salle, IL. He also had 6 cousins in the war and one brother and one sister work at the LST shipyard in Seneca, IL. Amazingly only 1 cousin and 1 brother wounded and all returned to the US.

After the V-E Day he re-upped and was at a POW camp for Germans. I have group photos I will post once I find them in storage. Here is a photo that I will share to start.

post-2511-0-14173000-1457509510_thumb.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Jeweler - 03-09-2016

Welcome aboard Tony's Boy, I'm sure we 292nd guys are all looking forward to whatever photos you can post!

Pete

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 03-09-2016

Hello everyone,

I just posted on the other string forum about my background but wanted to introduce myself here as well. My grandfather was Anton "Tony" Pagoria from La Salle, IL and was a member of C Company of the 292nd. Pete - very likely your uncle and my grandfather knew each other since both were in the same company and both Italians from Illinois.

His information was drafted as a plumber, but was placed in the 669th Engineer Topographical Corps, 1149th Combat Group. The 669th was a transportation corps unit that included railroad training. This was a natural fit for him since his occupation prior to the war was a Railway Section Hand. He trained at Camp Clairborne, Lousiana. He was the last of his italian brothers to be enlist/be drafted. He was the 6th of his family to be in WWII and the first 6 star family in La Salle, IL. He also had 6 cousins in the war and one brother and one sister work at the LST shipyard in Seneca, IL. Amazingly only 1 cousin and 1 brother wounded and all returned to the US.

After the V-E Day he re-upped and was at a POW camp for Germans. I have group photos I will post once I find them in storage. Here is a photo that I will share to start.

attachicon.gif669th Fall Dance.jpg

Kenneth,

Wonderful to see you here, my friend! I am so happy I ran across you elsewhere and that you were able to join our small, but growing community. I look forward to many fruitful posts and to the opportunity to exchange information here in this thread. Let's all continue to seek out others who may have interest in this unit and these great men and any and all information that can be found so that the memories of their patriotic service will not fall into the abyss of history.

Have a great one, Kenneth, and accept this hearty welcome!

Gary

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Tony's Boy - 03-10-2016

After looking at information, I really don't know what company my grandfather was a part of I don't really see it listed in any of his information that I have. As for the photo you have Gary. I have that same photo....Could it not be by company but by Combat Group, since there was the 1149th and 1141st that made up the 292nd. One of my other family members has the photo and it is not damaged attempting to get it scanned so I can provide it.

Not sure if any of you have ever seen this but I am attaching it so you can review.

US 9th Army Station and Assignment List.pdf

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Walt's Daughter - 03-10-2016

It would not be by Combat Group as that is the same as the regiment. Combat Group was simply the "new name" that the army gave to regiments after 44/early 45.

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - buk2112 - 03-10-2016

Hello everyone,

attachicon.gif669th Fall Dance.jpg

Warmest welcome to the forum, we are glad to have you with us! Our 292nd community is growing here and we look forward to what you might have to share.

Randy

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 03-11-2016

After looking at information, I really don't know what company my grandfather was a part of I don't really see it listed in any of his information that I have. As for the photo you have Gary. I have that same photo....Could it not be by company but by Combat Group, since there was the 1149th and 1141st that made up the 292nd. One of my other family members has the photo and it is not damaged attempting to get it scanned so I can provide it.

Not sure if any of you have ever seen this but I am attaching it so you can review.

Thanks, Kenneth, for the offering up this tidbit! I look forward to seeing a scan of the photo that you have. If it is indeed the same one as I posted (hopefully, without the damage) then the mystery clearly is highlighted... what group is this a picture of? Incidentally, is your grandfather in the photo you spoke of? That would mean both of our grandfathers were in this picture! Cool, but we still need to try to figure out what group it is a picture of.

I want to reiterate how happy we are that you have joined our "merry band"! :)

Gary