Forums
292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous Topics (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Forum: Introduce Yourself! (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: 292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) (/showthread.php?tid=2447)

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - buk2112 - 04-18-2017

3 hours ago, sirgator said:

Thanks, Randy!  I aim to please.  :)   Ponder this... what significance is there in the date on the cancellation stamp?

Later,

Gary

Hmmm... April 18th 1944, let me think here for a moment. That would have been the 2nd anniversary of the daring Doolittle Raid, nope, don't believe that is it. It was a year to the day that Admiral Yamamoto's plane had been shot down by US forces resulting in his death, still don't think that is it. I'm gonna say it is in reference to the bombing incident that occurred on that date in the 292nd CO A billet area, and your grandfather was wounded in this action. I'm I close Gary? Did you ever persue a Purple Heart for him?

Randy

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 04-19-2017

8 hours ago, Walt's Daughter said:

Aw, shucks!  Hope everyone had the chance, though, to read the history behind that poster. Fascinating!

That was a great story and I think about it now when I look at the poster.  Thanks for sharing it, Marion!  :)

Gary

7 hours ago, buk2112 said:

Hmmm... April 18th 1944, let me think here for a moment. That would have been the 2nd anniversary of the daring Doolittle Raid, nope, don't believe that is it. It was a year to the day that Admiral Yamamoto's plane had been shot down by US forces resulting in his death, still don't think that is it. I'm gonna say it is in reference to the bombing incident that occurred on that date in the 292nd CO A billet area, and your grandfather was wounded in this action. I'm I close Gary? Did you ever persue a Purple Heart for him?

Randy

Interesting, but not correct.  Remember, the bombing was in 1945 and the 292nd was still at Camp Butner in 1944.  Now that I check myself I see I kind of screwed up on this... I meant to put the date of May 19th!  What a serious brain freeze!  The bombing did occur on April 18th, but of 1945 so maybe this is what got my lines crossed.  :(   As for the Purple Heart, the only possibility is to get to the St Louis Center to see if there is information about the bombing that could assist in this in unit morning reports. I've never seen the names of the 10 guys lightly wounded in that incident and getting that list would solve for sure if his part in the incident was documented.  Getting there is just not in the cards for me at this time (taking care of my 101 yr old grandmother), but down the road definitely.

Until next time,

Gary

GatesRandall_PostalStamp_Single.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - buk2112 - 04-19-2017

Guess I was too focused on the month and day instead of the year, happens to the best "em.  :blush:

2 hours ago, buk2112 said:

Guess I was too focused on the month and day instead of the year, happens to the best "em.  :blush:

So any idea what the significance is of May 19th, 1944?

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - rwrich51 - 05-11-2017

On 4/19/2017 at 1:44 PM, sirgator said:

So any idea what the significance is of May 19th, 1944?

May 19th 1944 is  the date the company photo was taken

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - buk2112 - 05-12-2017

Think you nailed it Ralph!

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sterling's daughter - 07-06-2017

Gary,

I'm back! I'd like to get a copy of the Clear the Way 292d poster, but I can't seem to find your post about how to go about it. Can you refresh my memory?

Lisa

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - buk2112 - 07-10-2017

On 7/6/2017 at 5:59 PM, Sterling's daughter said:

Gary,

I'm back! I'd like to get a copy of the Clear the Way 292d poster, but I can't seem to find your post about how to go about it. Can you refresh my memory?

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Gary hasn't been on the forum in over two months, have a feeling he is dealing with some personal issues, hope he is ok. Here is the link to the image which you can download and take to your photoshop to be made into a poster. Have a good day!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ghnJbeN7QkYS1FQ0pTVVNmbGs/view?usp=sharing

Randy

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - buk2112 - 07-12-2017

On 4/18/2017 at 0:22 PM, buk2112 said:

20170418_115112.thumb.jpg.3caa551e352654c34a7c57a2836fa955.jpg

Got the poster from the print shop and have it all framed and ready to give to my dad for his birthday. It has turned out great, really pleased with it, will be ordering one for myself sometime. His birthday is on May 10th, can't hardly wait to present it to him, I know he will like it. Big thanks to our forum photo expert Gary for his fine work on this piece, you are a gentleman and a scholar my friend! This has really helped me out too. My dad is hard to buy for because he will never tell you what he wants, if you ask him he will just say, "I don't need anything". This will beat the boring gift card I usually have to settle on and it will be something more personal I know he will appreciate. So thanks again Gary, and thanks to Marion for providing the original image. Have a good day everyone!

Randy

I meant to post this at the time but you know, stuff happens! Gave my dad the "We Clear The Way" poster I had made for his birthday May 10th. I explained to him the history behind the poster and the modifications Gary had made to it. He liked it a lot and was happy to have one. One comment he made about it, he thought the gentlemen (Vincent Leckey) in the poster looked like George C. Scott from the movie "Patton". Which I can see a resemblance, LOL! He has proudly put the poster on display in his barbershop where he has worked for the last 56 years now, the man will just not retire! He has told me that he has received many comments from customers about the poster. Below is a pic the day we gave it to him. Another shout out to Gary for a job well done on the poster ,thanks Gary!

Have a good one everybody!

Randy

Resized_20170513_164944.thumb.jpeg.868e5fcae02e8db73e6cda73ff32fd05.jpeg