Forums
292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous Topics (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Forum: Introduce Yourself! (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: 292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) (/showthread.php?tid=2447)

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Walt's Daughter - 03-03-2017

That's the Memphis Belle crew and it was signed by one of the men.

The document at the top is a certificate regarding the Battle of the Bulge. My father's name and unit are inscribed on it. I received that years ago. 

The airplane is a signed painting (I also have the signed book) from a veteran I knew years ago. It was a Christmas present to my husband . It's Herschel H Green of the 325th Fighter Group. Here it is, unframed.
 post-11-1130844466_thumb.jpg

Dad's BOB cert.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 03-03-2017

How very cool!  Thanks so much for taking some time to share some of your family treasures.  :)

Gary

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - buk2112 - 03-07-2017

On 3/2/2017 at 10:42 PM, sirgator said:

Alrighty, folks!  Here's a little something to take look at and please feel free to comment with your opinions.  Higher res versions are also available. :)

Thanks in advance!

Gary

EDIT: Thanks to the graciousness of Marion passing along information concerning the poster and the soldier who posed (see below) for it.  This version is in honor of Vincent Lackey of the 43rd Engineer Combat Regiment and all of the "Vincent Lackeys" of the 292nd Engineer Combat battalion and other units who sacrificed so much for all of our freedoms.  Just normal "Joes" doing their duty for all of us.  G

CorpsOfEngineersWeClearTheWay292Version.jpg

Job well done, Gary! I like it a lot, what resolution would be needed to make a full size poster? Think my dad would love to have one to hang in his barbershop or man cave. Thank you for all your efforts!

Randy

On 3/3/2017 at 0:19 PM, Walt's Daughter said:

Sure thing. 

As far as the loved one, that's something I have to write about to you in private. It's a longgggg story...

Here's where the image hangs among others. This is one wall in our entertainment room.

IMG_1272.JPG

IMG_1279.JPG

IMG_1280.JPG

IMG_1281.JPG

These are great Marion, thanks so much for sharing them with us.

Randy

On 3/3/2017 at 0:57 PM, Walt's Daughter said:

That's the Memphis Belle crew and it was signed by one of the men.

The document at the top is a certificate regarding the Battle of the Bulge. My father's name and unit are inscribed on it. I received that years ago. 

The airplane is a signed painting (I also have the signed book) from a veteran I knew years ago. It was a Christmas present to my husband . It's Herschel H Green of the 325th Fighter Group. Here it is, unframed.
 post-11-1130844466_thumb.jpg

Dad's BOB cert.jpg

Just curious Marion, is the signature on the Memphis Belle crew photo that of Robert Hanson, the radio operator?

Randy

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Walt's Daughter - 03-08-2017

The signature is the Mike Morgan's, the Memphis Belle pilot.

Corrected, Robert Morgan!

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - buk2112 - 03-08-2017

4 hours ago, Walt's Daughter said:

The signature is the Mike Morgan's, the Memphis Belle pilot.

That is so cool Marion! Thanks for sharing your wonderful keepsakes with us. It's Robert Morgan though, not Mike. You knew that, you were just testing me right?

The crew for the Memphis Belle are as follows:[5]

• Pilot: Captain Robert K. Morgan
  • Co-pilot: Captain James A. Verinis
  • Navigator: Captain Charles B. Leighton
  • Bombardier: Captain Vincent B. Evans
  • The First Engineer/Top Turret Gunner: Leviticus "Levy" Dillon
  • The Second Engineer/Top Turret Gunner: Eugene Adkins
  • The Third Engineer/Top Turret Gunner: Harold P. Loch
  • Radio Operator: Robert Hanson
  • Ball Turret Gunner: Cecil Scott
  • Right Waist Gunner: E. Scott Miller
  • Right Waist Gunner: Casmer A "Tony" Nastal
  • Left Waist Gunner: Clarence E. "Bill" Winchell
  • Tail Gunner: John P. Quinlan
  • Crew Chief: Joe Giambrone

Have a good day,

Randy

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Walt's Daughter - 03-08-2017

Yes, sorry about that. I have a good friend named Mike Morgan. Got them twisted...

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 03-08-2017

On 3/7/2017 at 11:27 AM, buk2112 said:

Job well done, Gary! I like it a lot, what resolution would be needed to make a full size poster? Think my dad would love to have one to hang in his barbershop or man cave. Thank you for all your efforts!

Randy

Well, the resolution is 7200x9600 and is thus scaled for an 18x24 poster and it should print with no issue.  I had a question from someone wondering why I used 292d and not 292nd.  I did it because in the unit documents that I have it was 292d.  However, the map has 292nd in the body of the text so I created a second version with 292nd for anyone who would prefer that version.

Gary

CorpsOfEngineersWeClearTheWay292dVersion.jpg

CorpsOfEngineersWeClearTheWay292ndVersion.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 03-31-2017

It's arrived! Now to get 'er framed!  :)

Gary

170331_IMG_5544CM.jpg