Forums
292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous Topics (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Forum: Introduce Yourself! (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: 292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) (/showthread.php?tid=2447)

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - buk2112 - 02-27-2017

On 2/23/2017 at 3:24 PM, Walt's Daughter said:

Gosh, isn't it great to be back. Having the forum down for a few days in regards to upgrade, really made me appreciate what we have!

:rolleyes:

Yes Marion, it is great to be back. Like the new look for the forum, kudos on a job well done   :clappin2:

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - buk2112 - 02-27-2017

On 11/23/2016 at 10:25 AM, KRO said:

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum to post this but I thought I'd try here first. Please let me know if I should post to a different on as I am new here.

The tombstone of my uncle (and godfather), Herbert Joseph Rice (#32261778) says he was in Co A, 292nd Eng C Btn. In searching for info on this unit I found this informative website so am hoping someone on here can help me figure out his connection to the 292nd.

I tried the NPRC but only received the dates of enlistment and discharge. I am not next-of-kin -- he married but had no children.

Briefly, here is what I have pieced together so far on his military service:

1. Enlisted 23 Mar 1942, Fort Dix NJ – from NY (born in Ireland but brought to US as infant and raised in Manhattan NYC)
  1. Photo (undated) – in dress uniform, MP slip-on arm band, Sam Brown belt, & pistol with barracks-type buildings in the background. Looks like the US south.
  1. Was attached to 77th Infantry Div (I have the actual patch he wore!!) - is listed as a Private in Co K in the Div roster but was transferred out before the 77th went to the Pacific, March 1944.
  1. Wedding photo Jan 1944 – jacket has patch of the 4th Area Service Command.
  1. Photo (undated) of Herb in uniform having a beer in a bar/club. Written on the photo is “178 (US) Gen Hosp Non Coms Club”. The 178th was in the area of Reims, France.
  1. A 3 ring binder covered with leather and hand tooled with “Reims 1945” on the cover which he sent home to his sister and now in my possession.
  1. Excerpts from letters of medical tech father of a fellow researcher written in Reims, 1945, where he was with the 178th Gen Hospital. He mentions “Rice from NY” who told him about the GIs trying to get photos at the school house where the surrender was signed; and then “Herbie Rice, a 253rd man” and says Herb was the supply Sgt and in charge of the bar/beer garden.
  1. Discharged 8 Mar 1946.

I can’t figure out is how the 292nd fits into this -- from what I’ve read, they landed in France in Dec 1944 and then onward into Germany. I do not see him in the photo of Co A – he was 6'4", skinny as a bean pole, very high forehead, and ears standing way out.

Don’t know what the 253rd was (as mentioned in the letter noted above) or when he was with the 292nd. Could he have been left behind when the Btn went to Germany? Or gone there and come back or ????? I’ve come across 2 other Herbert Rices - one was a POW and another was a Ranger.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas about this mystery, I’d love to hear from you. Thank you in advance !!

I was curious to see a headstone photo for Kathleen's uncle, so I requested one for his Find A Grave memorial page. A gracious photo volunteer fulfilled my request yesterday. 

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=82629662

82629662_1488142496.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Walt's Daughter - 02-27-2017

Three cheers!

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 02-28-2017

On 2/27/2017 at 1:27 PM, buk2112 said:

I was curious to see a headstone photo for Kathleen's uncle, so I requested one for his Find A Grave memorial page. A gracious photo volunteer fulfilled my request yesterday. 

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=82629662

82629662_1488142496.jpg

Wow, Randy, what a great idea!  Proves my earlier point!  :)

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 02-28-2017

On 2/27/2017 at 1:01 PM, buk2112 said:

Wow Gary, that's some pretty high praise there. Not sure if I'm worthy of all that but thanks for the thought!

Randy

You are worthy, you are worthy!!! :)

Gary

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 03-03-2017

Alrighty, folks!  Here's a little something to take look at and please feel free to comment with your opinions.  Higher res versions are also available. :)

Thanks in advance!

Gary

EDIT: Thanks to the graciousness of Marion passing along information concerning the poster and the soldier who posed (see below) for it.  This version is in honor of Vincent Lackey of the 43rd Engineer Combat Regiment and all of the "Vincent Lackeys" of the 292nd Engineer Combat battalion and other units who sacrificed so much for all of our freedoms.  Just normal "Joes" doing their duty for all of us.  G

CorpsOfEngineersWeClearTheWay292Version.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Walt's Daughter - 03-03-2017

Do you know that I have a story about the engineer who posed for this poster? His name is Vincent Leckey and you can read all about him here.

I also have a signed copy of this poster, that he gave me, shortly before he passed. It's hanging in my office and I'm very proud to have it! 

And Gary, it looks great!

6 hours ago, Walt's Daughter said:

Do you know that I have a story about the engineer who posed for this poster? His name is Vincent Leckey and you can read all about him here.

I also have a signed copy of this poster, that he gave me, shortly before he passed. It's hanging in my office and I'm very proud to have it! 

And Gary, it looks great!

Wow, Marion, that is so cool!  Thanks for the info on Mr Leckey!  Maybe his loved one will post more about his service?  I'm sure everyone here would love that. Can you do me a favor?  Any chance you could take a photo of the signed poster hanging where you have it up?  I think it would be cool to see it in place as you have it hung.  :)

Until next time...

Gary

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Walt's Daughter - 03-03-2017

Sure thing. 

As far as the loved one, that's something I have to write about to you in private. It's a longgggg story...

Here's where the image hangs among others. This is one wall in our entertainment room.

IMG_1272.JPG

IMG_1279.JPG

IMG_1280.JPG

IMG_1281.JPG

9 minutes ago, Walt's Daughter said:

Sure thing. 

As far as the loved one, that's something I have to write about to you in private. It's a longgggg story...

Here's where the image hangs among others. This is one wall in our entertainment room.

IMG_1272.JPG

IMG_1279.JPG

IMG_1280.JPG

IMG_1281.JPG

Thanks so much, Marion!  Send me a direct message as you have a chance.  A couple of questions... What is the text on the bomber crew photo and is there a relation to you of any of the men?  What is the certificate in the center above the fighter artwork and is there a story behind it?  I just love the stories behind photos, artwork, signatures, etc. as they make the history of the visuals come alive.

You are the best, Marion!

Gary