Forums
292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous Topics (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Forum: Introduce Yourself! (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: 292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) (/showthread.php?tid=2447)

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - SamHarrison - 01-08-2017

Hello Y'all,

Sorry for the absence from here as of late. Between the holidays we moved and that really complicated most things in my life. But getting back on track now.

Over the last few months, I've been emailing a member of the 292nd whom I nearly accidentally found online. To be 95, his computer skills are impressive. He was a lieutenant, a recon officer in H&S company. I've begun to run out of questions and thought I would solicit some specific queries from y'all. I've invited him to join us here, but haven't seen him do that yet in several months of conversations so far. Fingers crossed though. Thanks for any ideas, And Thanks to Gary for keeping me on task in this effort.

SaM

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 01-08-2017

Hello Y'all,

Sorry for the absence from here as of late. Between the holidays we moved and that really complicated most things in my life. But getting back on track now.

Over the last few months, I've been emailing a member of the 292nd whom I nearly accidentally found online. To be 95, his computer skills are impressive. He was a lieutenant, a recon officer in H&S company. I've begun to run out of questions and thought I would solicit some specific queries from y'all. I've invited him to join us here, but haven't seen him do that yet in several months of conversations so far. Fingers crossed though. Thanks for any ideas, And Thanks to Gary for keeping me on task in this effort.

SaM

Sam,

No apologies needed, my friend! You have afforded us a unique opportunity with your "discovery" of Lt Baxter and appreciate your followup with him. What a sharp guy for 95! I definitely think we need to keep the number of folks contacting him directly limited so we don't overload him. So for now, I would think you as the sole liaison would be best especially since you seemed to have struck up a budding friendship with him. Although slow in coming, the information that he starting to provide is interesting in the least and I look forward to anything he may have to offer in the future. Do you think he would mind if we were to spread the wealth to everyone here by posting the photos that he has provided? Don't want to post anything out of respect unless he's cool with it.

Exciting developments to say the least and one which hopefully will continue.

Gary

p.s. I hope you had a great holiday and that all of your moving exploits have gone well, also! :)

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 01-09-2017

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum to post this but I thought I'd try here first. Please let me know if I should post to a different on as I am new here.

The tombstone of my uncle (and godfather), Herbert Joseph Rice (#32261778) says he was in Co A, 292nd Eng C Btn. In searching for info on this unit I found this informative website so am hoping someone on here can help me figure out his connection to the 292nd.

I tried the NPRC but only received the dates of enlistment and discharge. I am not next-of-kin -- he married but had no children.

Briefly, here is what I have pieced together so far on his military service:

1. Enlisted 23 Mar 1942, Fort Dix NJ – from NY (born in Ireland but brought to US as infant and raised in Manhattan NYC)
  1. Photo (undated) – in dress uniform, MP slip-on arm band, Sam Brown belt, & pistol with barracks-type buildings in the background. Looks like the US south.
  1. Was attached to 77th Infantry Div (I have the actual patch he wore!!) - is listed as a Private in Co K in the Div roster but was transferred out before the 77th went to the Pacific, March 1944.
  1. Wedding photo Jan 1944 – jacket has patch of the 4th Area Service Command.
  1. Photo (undated) of Herb in uniform having a beer in a bar/club. Written on the photo is “178 (US) Gen Hosp Non Coms Club”. The 178th was in the area of Reims, France.
  1. A 3 ring binder covered with leather and hand tooled with “Reims 1945” on the cover which he sent home to his sister and now in my possession.
  1. Excerpts from letters of medical tech father of a fellow researcher written in Reims, 1945, where he was with the 178th Gen Hospital. He mentions “Rice from NY” who told him about the GIs trying to get photos at the school house where the surrender was signed; and then “Herbie Rice, a 253rd man” and says Herb was the supply Sgt and in charge of the bar/beer garden.
  1. Discharged 8 Mar 1946.

I can’t figure out is how the 292nd fits into this -- from what I’ve read, they landed in France in Dec 1944 and then onward into Germany. I do not see him in the photo of Co A – he was 6'4", skinny as a bean pole, very high forehead, and ears standing way out.

Don’t know what the 253rd was (as mentioned in the letter noted above) or when he was with the 292nd. Could he have been left behind when the Btn went to Germany? Or gone there and come back or ????? I’ve come across 2 other Herbert Rices - one was a POW and another was a Ranger.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas about this mystery, I’d love to hear from you. Thank you in advance !!

Kathleen,

I took a look through all of the unit documentation that I have and did not see a Herbert Rice listed. :( What a curious dilemma. Someone had previously mentioned that maybe he was attached to the 292nd for the trip back which was not that uncommon. maybe he was a late transfer to the unit as the documentation at this point is sparse from later in 1945.

Anyone else have any ides on this?

Gary

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Tony's Boy - 01-09-2017

Kathleen,

I took a look through all of the unit documentation that I have and did not see a Herbert Rice listed. :( What a curious dilemma. Someone had previously mentioned that maybe he was attached to the 292nd for the trip back which was not that uncommon. maybe he was a late transfer to the unit as the documentation at this point is sparse from later in 1945.

Anyone else have any ides on this?

Gary

Gary...I had stated earlier that the 253rd was probably the 253rd combat battalion that was part of the 9th army, which the 292nd was also a part of. Also could he have re-upped at the end of the war and been put with the 292nd which was building and supervising POW camps?

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 01-10-2017

Gary...I had stated earlier that the 253rd was probably the 253rd combat battalion that was part of the 9th army, which the 292nd was also a part of. Also could he have re-upped at the end of the war and been put with the 292nd which was building and supervising POW camps?

Interesting ideas, Ken. I'm not sure we can do much more for Kathleen right now. Hopefully she will be able to get records from NARA on Rice's service that may answer some of the questions. I would remind Kathleen that Marion has resources that can be referenced on this site that may help her in her search. I'm sure Marion could chime in on this.

Gary

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Walt's Daughter - 01-10-2017

Yes, of course. Kathleen and anyone else who needs assistance with research and acquiring documentation, please see this post:

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/engforum/index.php?showtopic=23

:pdt12:

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - KRO - 01-10-2017

Thank you, Gary, for checking your files for my uncle. I have been tied up with another project but shortly I'll have time to go through the resources Marion has listed and see what I can search for from there. I did apply to the NPRC for his records but was told they were among the burned files. I will also try NARA as soon as I can.

Happy New Year and thanks again,

Kathleen

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Walt's Daughter - 01-11-2017

Excellent. Do try the other resources to acquire your uncle's DD214's. Don't be discouraged by NARA in St Louis. A great many people including myself have gotten lucky by inquiring elsewhere.

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 01-19-2017

Here's a work in progress for a signature image. Just wanted to see what folks honesty think. Constructive criticism is a good thing. :)

Gary

post-2431-0-06528800-1484811893_thumb.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - CaptO - 01-19-2017

Looks good. Thought about putting "In memory of" on it?