Forums
292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous Topics (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Forum: Introduce Yourself! (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: 292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) (/showthread.php?tid=2447)

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - shurlox - 09-30-2016

Martha,

If you can at least find one from the period in or out of service where you (or if you post it... we) can get a good look at his face from the era then you can use the following link to download the high res version of the image of the Company A photo:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ghnJbeN7QkSU8xaFhSclRtOUE/view

Just be aware that the file is nearly 80 megabytes in size so is quite large. Thus, be patient when downloading. It should give you a very close view of the men's faces. If you have issues then just let me know. The file is a Tiff file so if by chance you can't read it then I'll upload a JPEG version which you will have no problem reading. Until next time... have a wonderful night! :)

Gary

Gary;

I downloaded the image and believe my grandfather is the guy on the top row 15th from the right, however I also see things in the guy on the bottom 7th from the left. I just never seen my grandfather any way but smiling...he was quite a prankster actually. Here are the photo's as well as the military photo I have of him..(not great) with another photo after the war, I have been told it was not too long after.

Any one have an opinion?

Regards,

Martha DalSanto

Granddaughter of

Edwin J Grosskurth

292nd Eng Combat Bn Co A

post-2585-0-73357800-1475214453_thumb.jpg

post-2585-0-12513500-1475214492_thumb.jpg

post-2585-0-40748200-1475214591_thumb.jpg

post-2585-0-25144100-1475214688_thumb.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - shurlox - 09-30-2016

Hello Lisa,

Warmest welcome to the forum! It is always exciting to me to meet another family member of a 292nd soldier. My grandfather, PFC Arthur A. Clark, was in company A of the 292nd. I have been doing some research on this unit for the last few years and have a lot that I can share with you. I have obtained from the NARA the unit histories, after action reports, and journals of the 292nd. I have copied a number of the morning reports of company A from the NPRC in St. Louis. According to one of the morning report documents I have your father-in-law, S/SGT Sterling C Sykes ASN# 34454730, was also a member of company A. I have attached a copy of this document below, sorry it is not that easy to see but you can understand because of the age. Your father-in-law's name is listed in the first column, 6th name down. You will notice my grandfather's name is listed just four names down from your father-in-law. As Marion has stated there is no problem posting your photos, and I as well as others are really looking forward to seeing them. I have photos to share as well. Hope to hear from you soon,

Randy Clark

attachicon.gifIMG.jpg

Hello Randy;

My grandfather was in the 292nd Company A. I am having a hard time finding much about CO A. I am seeing some things on the 292nd but most reference Co B or C. If you have more information on CO A as far as photos of this group and their campaign etc. I would be appreciative if you could post.

Regards,

Martha DalSanto

Grandaughter of:

Edwin J Grosskurth

292nd Engr Combat Bn Co A

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 09-30-2016

Gary;

I downloaded the image and believe my grandfather is the guy on the top row 15th from the right, however I also see things in the guy on the bottom 7th from the left. I just never seen my grandfather any way but smiling...he was quite a prankster actually. Here are the photo's as well as the military photo I have of him..(not great) with another photo after the war, I have been told it was not too long after.

Any one have an opinion?

Regards,

Martha DalSanto

Granddaughter of

Edwin J Grosskurth

292nd Eng Combat Bn Co A

Martha,

Wow, thanks so much for sharing! I can 100% put one thing to bed... the guy in the first row is definitely not your grandfather. I know this because coincidentally he happens to be my grandfather. :) By comparing the photos you posted it sure does look like your father is the soldier 15th from the right in the top row. Do others here have an opinion? How about your mother? What does she think? I believe I found an obituary for your great grandfather that mentions your grandfather and also a birth notice for you from 1963. Not info directly on your grandfather, but info related to him. I attached them to see if they are indeed related to you and your family.

Until next time,

Gary

post-2431-0-81429100-1475250795_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-70571600-1475250824_thumb.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - shurlox - 10-02-2016

Martha,

Wow, thanks so much for sharing! I can 100% put one thing to bed... the guy in the first row is definitely not your grandfather. I know this because coincidentally he happens to be my grandfather. :) By comparing the photos you posted it sure does look like your father is the soldier 15th from the right in the top row. Do others here have an opinion? How about your mother? What does she think? I believe I found an obituary for your great grandfather that mentions your grandfather and also a birth notice for you from 1963. Not info directly on your grandfather, but info related to him. I attached them to see if they are indeed related to you and your family.

Until next time,

Gary

Gary;

Yes that is my birth announcement. That I did have; the obituary of my great grandfather I did not. Thank you for that.

My mother believes that the man in the top row is her father...this has caused some confusion for her though.

When I started to research my grandfather my mother kept saying that something was not right about his service record as she remembered him in the service longer than it indicated; well she found this letter that was sent by him to her Aunt ( my grandmother's sister) who's husband was oversees as well at that time. It was written by my grandfather to encourage her Aunt on her wedding anniversary. He was that kind of guy, always concerned for others despite what he might have been going through. Ok I am getting off the point here.

The letter is dated JUNE OF 1942 and he addresses himself as a SGT at this time in the 292nd.....????? Any thoughts on how this can be???

Regards,

Martha DalSanto

Granddaughter of

Edwin J Grosskurth

292nd Eng Combat Bn Co A

post-2585-0-00006100-1475417256_thumb.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 10-02-2016

Gary;

Yes that is my birth announcement. That I did have; the obituary of my great grandfather I did not. Thank you for that.

My mother believes that the man in the top row is her father...this has caused some confusion for her though.

When I started to research my grandfather my mother kept saying that something was not right about his service record as she remembered him in the service longer than it indicated; well she found this letter that was sent by him to her Aunt ( my grandmother's sister) who's husband was oversees as well at that time. It was written by my grandfather to encourage her Aunt on her wedding anniversary. He was that kind of guy, always concerned for others despite what he might have been going through. Ok I am getting off the point here.

The letter is dated JUNE OF 1942 and he addresses himself as a SGT at this time in the 292nd.....????? Any thoughts on how this can be???

Regards,

Martha DalSanto

Granddaughter of

Edwin J Grosskurth

292nd Eng Combat Bn Co A

Martha,

Glad I could provide you with something you didn't have. A little off topic perhaps, but still related to you and your family. I will add your grandfather identification to the 292nd Company photo.

As for the confusion... it is curious. The 292nd wasn't even formed until November of 1943 with the bulk of the troops not actually assigned until about February of 1944 so he could not have been part of the unit in 1942. According to the "Numerical Listings of APO's 1942-1947" put out by the Army Postal Service the APO 339 used on the letter wasn't even created until September 4th, 1944 starting in Rennes, France (see page 90 in the following pdf link).

http://www.7tharmddiv.org/docrep/Location%20of%20APOs%201942-1947.pdf

So, I believe there must be a mistake on the letter concerning the date. Collaborations is the name of the game here so I welcome other opinions and explanations that others may have. It definitely sounds like your grandfather was a very considerate sort thinking of others which more than likely also helped him during the tough times away from his family.

I'll post the updated 292nd photo with your grandfather added shortly.

Gary

addendum: We have almost 200 letters that my grandfather sent home to my grandmother and the ones after deployment to the continent (aka Europe) were also APO 339.

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 10-02-2016

Folks,

Here's the updated Company A photo with the addition of Edwin Grosskurth.

Gary

post-2431-0-40725000-1475428091_thumb.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - buk2112 - 10-03-2016

Gary;

Regards,

Martha DalSanto

Granddaughter of

Edwin J Grosskurth

292nd Eng Combat Bn Co A

Hi Martha,

What a great letter, thanks so much for sharing this family treasure with us. Your grandfather's discharge paper shows he was inducted on 17 JAN 1944 and as Gary has said the 292nd wasn't formed until 5 NOV 1943. Someone just made a mistake when they wrote the date, it happens. Considering the timeline on your grandfather's service and the APO from where it was sent, the date of the letter was probably June 1945 instead of 1942. Hope this may have clarified your mother's confusion. Have a good day!

Randy

Hello Randy;

My grandfather was in the 292nd Company A. I am having a hard time finding much about CO A. I am seeing some things on the 292nd but most reference Co B or C. If you have more information on CO A as far as photos of this group and their campaign etc. I would be appreciative if you could post.

Regards,

Martha DalSanto

Grandaughter of:

Edwin J Grosskurth

292nd Engr Combat Bn Co A

Hello Martha,

Here is a little information about the 292nd. The 292nd Engineer Combat Battalion was established on 5 November 1943 at Camp Butner, North Carolina. The battalion consisted of four companies designated H&S(Headquarters and Supply), A, B, and C. The battalion trained at Camp Butner until departing in October 1944 heading for the European Theater of Operations. The following two images are a timeline for the battalion after leaving Camp Butner.

post-2432-0-34740700-1475500139_thumb.jpg post-2432-0-11783200-1475500207_thumb.jpg

The headcount for the battalion changed over time with men being transferred in and out for various reasons. When they arrived in the war zone at Merkstein Germany on 23 December 1944 the battalion consisted of 632 men, 599 enlisted and 33 officers. Of this number there were 159 making up Company A. Hope this has helped some Martha, have a good one!

Randy

Hello Martha,

Here is a link to another thread on this forum discussing the 292nd Campaign Map.

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/engforum/index.php?showtopic=7813&hl=

If your family does not have one of these maps I would be glad to send you one.

Randy

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 10-03-2016

Hello Martha,

Here is a link to another thread on this forum discussing the 292nd Campaign Map.

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/engforum/index.php?showtopic=7813&hl=

If your family does not have one of these maps I would be glad to send you one.

Randy

Take him up on it, Martha! :)

He sent me a copy when I first found him trolling around the internet and it is great! Just another step in your quest for information pertaining to your grandfather's service. Thanks, Randy!

Until next time,

Gary