Forums
292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous Topics (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Forum: Introduce Yourself! (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: 292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) (/showthread.php?tid=2447)

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - buk2112 - 09-28-2016

Hello ...

Well, I was digging through old photos this evening and I found a few Army photos of my father with other soldiers. None of them are labeled, nothing written on the back. I though I would post them here just in case someone may recognize a face or a place. Enjoy.

Kent

Kent your pictures are great, thanks for sharing them with us. I find it interesting in the first picture the soldier in the middle is wearing an Army Air Forces patch on his left sleeve. Have a good one!

Randy

mnc_m0Omo8Qmb6YusVTAPtg.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 09-28-2016

Hello ...

Well, I was digging through old photos this evening and I found a few Army photos of my father with other soldiers. None of them are labeled, nothing written on the back. I though I would post them here just in case someone may recognize a face or a place. Enjoy.

Kent

Kent,

Thanks so much for posting the photos. Just another small step in documenting the men who served this great nation! We'll have to do some examination to see if any of these may have been taken when your father was in the 292nd. If so, maybe we can identify some of them?

Thanks for becoming a valued member of our small, but growing group of "292nd aficionados". :)

Gary

attachicon.gifcla65350 (3500x915).jpg

292 ECB Company C

Black and White panoramic

Hello everyone and apologies for the delay in reporting back on the Company C panoramic. The print shop did an excellent job, I am most pleased with the quality and I believe everyone else will be too. The only regret here is that I agreed to have them restore it to a true black and white, which gives it a different appearance next to the Company A panoramic. If I was to be granted a "do over" I would not have had that done, so the two pictures would probably have appeared very similar. Hindsight is always 20/20, but it's all good, at least we have it. Of course the image above is not the high resolution one, but it is better than the ones I had posted previously. I still have to post the high resolution image on a photo storage site. As soon as I have done this I will post the details on how to view the image and how you can get a printed copy if you would like one. I already have had a printed copy made and plan to donate this item to the new Camp Butner Museum. It would be nice to find the H&S and B Company pictures sometime in the future. Have a good one everybody!

Randy

Randy,

My friend... never apologize for doing your best in trying to assist others. We all appreciate what you are doing and thank you for it. This is a huge step in the continuing effort to document the unit and the men who served in it. A free Google account will get you 15gb of free storage. With this you can upload the image and then post a link that allows access to the image of C Company to individuals or to anyone depending on your preference. As an example, here is a link to the A Company image from my Google Drive space:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5ghnJbeN7QkSU8xaFhSclRtOUE

Great job donating to the Camp Butner folks. They are fledgling and any assistance that can be provided is so important. An update on the Earl Haughton IDPF... well, after a year I got a hold of someone last week and was told the file was 24 pages, scanned and sitting in their system. Why it was not sent out is a mystery. I was told it would be sent out that afternoon or the next day. Knowing the volume of request they have, I gave them the rest of the week, but still have not seen it. I called back and left a message and am currently waiting for a call back. Clearly, patience is a virtue, but this is a bit frustrating. I will continue pursuing it and let you know as things start to move forward. Incidentally, the Charles Crawford IDPF should be available as soon as I get done wrestling with them about it. Randy, did you ever get a chance to put in a request for the IDPF for Millard Weaver who died on Jan 1, 1945? I received a document recently that leads me to believe that he died in some kind of accident (see note in Jan 6th entry of attached image).

We'll keep digging and our noses to the grindstone to continue to answer the questions we have. :)

Gary

post-2431-0-00590200-1475085611_thumb.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - shurlox - 09-28-2016

Hello;

I am trying to find information on the 292nd Eng Combat Battalion CO A: I have seen various items but am confused if there was more than (1) Co A during WWII? I am sorry I am new to all of this.

My Grandfather (Edwin J Grosskurth) was a member of the battalion and my mother (his daughter) only has his discharge papers, and she would like very much to have more info. I have spent quite a while searching but his name does not come up in the national registry. I see photo's on this site but am not sure if he would be in these as I don't know how many Co A's there may have been during WWII.

If anyone can help I would be extremely grateful.

I am posting the only thing I do have and hope this will be enough to be pointed in the right direction, I am trying to get some kind of time line and understanding of what my grandfather would have done or been involved in so as to present her. I don't have a military photo like I see people display, hoping that I might find a picture of him through others.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards,

Martha

post-2585-0-05947600-1475097717_thumb.jpg

post-2585-0-61087800-1475097672_thumb.jpg

Hello;

I am trying to find information on the 292nd Eng Combat Battalion CO A: I have seen various items but am confused if there was more than (1) Co A during WWII? I am sorry I am new to all of this.

My Grandfather (Edwin J Grosskurth) was a member of the battalion and my mother (his daughter) only has his discharge papers, and she would like very much to have more info. I have spent quite a while searching but his name does not come up in the national registry. I see photo's on this site but am not sure if he would be in these as I don't know how many Co A's there may have been during WWII.

I am posting the only thing I do have and hope this will be enough to be pointed in the right direction, I am trying to get some kind of time line and understanding of what my grandfather would have done or been involved in so as to present her. I don't have a military photo like I see people display, hoping that I might find a picture of him through others.

Regards,

Martha

attachicon.gifGrosskurth.Discharge.jpg

Hello Martha,

Warmest welcome to the forum, we are so glad to have you here with us. You most certainly have come to the right place, unless I have lost count, including you there are currently 12 folks here on the forum with family members who had belonged to the 292nd. There was only one Company A in the 292nd, as there would be only one in any battalion. Looking at your grandfather's discharge paper it shows he was a cook with the 292nd.Have you had an opportunity to look for your grandfather in the Company A photo that has had many postings here on the forum? With him being a cook he may very well be one of the soldiers dressed in white in the middle of the photo that we have previously wondered about. We are currently working on digitizing hundreds of documents relating to the 292nd, so stick around with us,I'm sure you will learn a lot. I know Gary has some General Orders for the 292nd, he probably has one listing your grandfather receiving his Good Conduct Medal. Glad to have you aboard Martha.

Randy

Martha,

After looking back through the thread, Gary had already posted a list of soldiers receiving their Good Conduct Medals. Your grandfather is on this list, have a good one.

Randy

post-2432-0-23301500-1475102759.jpg

Hello;

Regards,

Martha

attachicon.gifGrosskurth.Discharge.jpg

Martha,

A hearty welcome to our growing group of those interesting in the heroes that served in the 292nd! Randy is truly a leader here and as you can see from his posts extremely helpful to any and all. Interesting that in the area where his awards are listed it also says "Go 2 HQs 292nd Eng Combat BN 45". Makes me wonder whether he spent some time with Headquarters and Service Company? Do you have any period photos of him (preferably ones where we can really get a good look at his face) that we may use to help to identify him in the Company A photo? Let me take a look at the documentation that I have to see where he is mentioned which I will then post.

Thanks so much for stopping on in and please don't be a stranger here. Be sure and follow this conversation and you can get an email sent to you when someone posts here.

Gary

Incidentally,

With the addition of Martha, here's is a list of the current contributor's to our 292nd Discussion:

Randall Gates (Gary Gates [sirgator], grandson) - A Company
Dean Belmonte (Pete Belmonte [Jeweler], nephew) - C Company
Sterling Sykes (Lisa Sykes [sterling’s Daughter], daughter-in-law) - A Company
Arthur A. Clark (Randy Clark [buk2112], grandson) - A Company
Ralph W. Richardson (Ralph Richardson [rwrich51], son) - A Company
Anton Pagoria (Kenneth Burger [Tony’s Boy], grandson) - A Company
Paul Corzine (Sam Harrison [samHarrison], grandson) - H&S Company
Julian Mizell (Sam Harrison [samHarrison], great nephew) - A Company
Warren Schroeder (Dennis Schroeder [Warren’s Son], son) - A Company
Charles Crawford (Steve Crawford [Ohioborn], nephew) - A Company
Earvin Watson (Jon Watson [Jwatson757], son) - A Company
Sylvester A. Stuiber (Kent J. Stuiber [kstuiber], son) - A Company
Edwin J. Grosskurth (Martha [shurlox], granddaughter) - A Company

Wow, this is fantastic! So much interest... how cool is that!

Gary

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Jeweler - 09-28-2016

Gary,

I suspect that the "GO 2 HQs 292 Eng Combat BN 45" indicates that his Good Conduct Medal was awarded via General Orders #2, Headquarters, 292nd ECB. Pretty sure that's the case anyway! Also, reference your list above, I am actually Dean Belmonte's nephew, not his son. Thanks for the list!

Pete

Gary,

I suspect that the "GO 2 HQs 292 Eng Combat BN 45" indicates that his Good Conduct Medal was awarded via General Orders #2, Headquarters, 292nd ECB. Pretty sure that's the case anyway! Also, reference your list above, I am actually Dean Belmonte's nephew, not his son. Thanks for the list!

Pete

Pete,

Just thought I'd upgrade you, my friend! :) Thanks for the clarification. You are correct as the document that he was awarded the Good Conduct Medal on is listed as General Order #2. You are a man of men and a very good nephew! :)

Gary