Forums
292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous Topics (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Forum: Introduce Yourself! (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: 292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) (/showthread.php?tid=2447)

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - buk2112 - 09-23-2016

I agree Marion.

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - kstuiber - 09-23-2016

Kent,

Thanks, my friend! We all do what we can to further the cause of helping folks tell their relatives story and also to tell the story of this little known unit. I have something you can do if you would? We may have identified your Dad incorrectly on the unit photo and I now have another soldier from this photo for you to view. Can you tell me is this your father with his head down a bit shielding from the sun? I also attached a yearbook photo of him I found on Ancestry.

Thanks so much and please, take your shoes off and stay awhile. :)

Gary

Yup, that's him. I spotted it yesterday and was going to post about it today, but you beat me to it!

Also, thank you for posting the his yearbook page from Kaukauna. That's the first time I've ever seen that.

I remember my father mentioning Camp Butner once in a while and I've spotted him in the

May 19, 1944 Camp Butner photo. I'll post about that in a bit.

Kent

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 09-23-2016

Yup, that's him. I spotted it yesterday and was going to post about it today, but you beat me to it!

Also, thank you for posting the his yearbook page from Kaukauna. That's the first time I've ever seen that.

I remember my father mentioning Camp Butner once in a while and I've spotted him in the

May 19, 1944 Camp Butner photo. I'll post about that in a bit.

Kent

That'd be really cool, Kent, seeing something from Butner. Here's the updated and corrected A Company photo and I also posted the whole page from the yearbook for you, my friend!

post-2431-0-64894700-1474661287_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-10479800-1474661323_thumb.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Tony's Boy - 09-24-2016

Great resolution on the photo. Thanks Gary !

I can say without a doubt that my father, Sylvester A. Stuiber is the first man on the left in the second row, the one with his eyes closed.

I cropped him out of the picture and attached it, he's the one in the center. He was probably 19 years old at the time.

Welcome, I can most assuredly say that the photo Gary gave you is of Company A since my grandfather was never in H&S. I am taking my copy to him in the near future so he can get a high resolution of the photo and then he can share it.

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 09-24-2016

Welcome, I can most assuredly say that the photo Gary gave you is of Company A since my grandfather was never in H&S. I am taking my copy to him in the near future so he can get a high resolution of the photo and then he can share it.

Yes and Ken's copy has somewhat less wear and tear on it. :) It'll be both of our pleasures to share the undamaged platoon photo with all. Thanks, Ken, for the opportunity.

Gary

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - kstuiber - 09-25-2016

Hello Ken,

I think I see what you're getting at. I'm just getting oriented to the photos here, but it looks like my father could be in the photos of company A and company C, if that's possible. I've attached the enlargement of part of the company C photo and I think he's in the first row, 4th from the right with the Sargent stripes. My eyes say %80-%85 that's him, my gut says %100. I would welcome any other opinions.

Also, does anyone have an idea when the company A photo was taken?

Kent

------------------------------------------------------

A little later .....

I've added some photos from the same time period for comparison.

post-2576-0-15344700-1474834168_thumb.jpg

post-2576-0-45201600-1474851938_thumb.jpg

post-2576-0-60408700-1474851955_thumb.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 09-25-2016

Hello Ken,

I think I see what you're getting at. I'm just getting oriented to the photos here, but it looks like my father could be in the photos of company A and company C, if that's possible. I've attached the enlargement of part of the company C photo and I think he's in the first row, 4th from the right with the Sargent stripes. My eyes say %80-%85 that's him, my gut says %100. I would welcome any other opinions.

Kent

To be honest that would seem kind of odd, Kent, but anything is possible. We are working on getting a high res image of the C company photo and with this we can answer this question. We'll keep you in the loop. The A company photo was not dated unlike the C company one, but we surmise they must have happened right around the same time.

Gary

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - kstuiber - 09-25-2016

Hello ...

Well, I was digging through old photos this evening and I found a few Army photos of my father with other soldiers. None of them are labeled, nothing written on the back. I though I would post them here just in case someone may recognize a face or a place. Enjoy.

Kent

post-2576-0-98108000-1474854292_thumb.jpg

post-2576-0-17546700-1474854318_thumb.jpg

post-2576-0-76307600-1474854338_thumb.jpg

post-2576-0-18512100-1474854358_thumb.jpg

post-2576-0-56136400-1474854376_thumb.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - buk2112 - 09-28-2016

post-2432-0-70818900-1475038446_thumb.jpg

292 ECB Company C

Black and White panoramic

Hello everyone and apologies for the delay in reporting back on the Company C panoramic. The print shop did an excellent job, I am most pleased with the quality and I believe everyone else will be too. The only regret here is that I agreed to have them restore it to a true black and white, which gives it a different appearance next to the Company A panoramic. If I was to be granted a "do over" I would not have had that done, so the two pictures would probably have appeared very similar. Hindsight is always 20/20, but it's all good, at least we have it. Of course the image above is not the high resolution one, but it is better than the ones I had posted previously. I still have to post the high resolution image on a photo storage site. As soon as I have done this I will post the details on how to view the image and how you can get a printed copy if you would like one. I already have had a printed copy made and plan to donate this item to the new Camp Butner Museum. It would be nice to find the H&S and B Company pictures sometime in the future. Have a good one everybody!

Randy

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - buk2112 - 09-28-2016

Hello Ken,

Kent

------------------------------------------------------

A little later .....

I've added some photos from the same time period for comparison.

Kent,

I am confident that the Company A photo would have been taken the same day, 19 May 1944, along with the rest of the battalion. They would have had the companies staged and ready so the photographer could snap each company photo one right after another. I think it is a bit odd that there is no writing on the Company A photo. Most every unit panoramic picture I have ever seen, including ones from the World War I era, have the unit number, date, and location. If it turns out your father appears in both photos, now that would be a real head scratcher! Have a good one!

Randy