Forums
292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous Topics (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Forum: Introduce Yourself! (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: 292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) (/showthread.php?tid=2447)

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - CaptO - 08-25-2016

Wow, Royer was 36 at the end of the war - he must have been "the old man" in the platoon!

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 08-25-2016

Wow, Royer was 36 at the end of the war - he must have been "the old man" in the platoon!

Yes, sir! I completely respect his service all the more and understand it as my grandfather was 34 when he enlisted in Dec of 1943 and was 36 when he came back in Oct of 1945. Hats off to these men and to all of those who have served our great nation!

Gary

Incidentally, for those interested, there was a blog set up about Royer's service by his nephew. It has since been abandoned (the nephew passed away), but has some interesting info about his experiences and some low res images of photos that he took while serving. Here's the link:

http://wilburmusserinww2.blogspot.com/

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - kstuiber - 09-18-2016

Let me introduce myself ...

I just want say hello to all the descendants, relatives and friends of the members of the WWII 292nd Combat Engineers Battalion. My father was Sylvester A. Stuiber. He passed away last August 23 at the ripe old age of 92. http://www.zacherlfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Sylvester-A-Stuiber?obId=1047815#/obituaryInfo

I came across this thread a while back when I was researching his WWII past. My Dad never talked much about the war. Frankly, he was not much for conversation in the first place and much less so when it came to the war. So, I was excited to find this thread and to find his name mentioned and pictures of him before he shipped out.

I have a few things I can contribute here, some pictures and things I remember him mentioning. And, this is a bit of a tease, but I have an souvenir he brought back that I took out if the box today and discovered it has names and addresses on it! I'll post about it later when I get some good images of it.

Most of all I want to thank all of you for posts and pictures and research. This gives me a better idea of what his experience was like in WWII, and, well, makes me feel a little more connected to him now that he's gone. Thanks.

post-2576-0-40643200-1474243247_thumb.jpg

post-2576-0-66533700-1474243266_thumb.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Ohioborn - 09-19-2016

Welcome Kent, glad to have you with us!

I will be interested in learning more about your father, and his experiences during his military service. Like you, I have been amazed by all the information the members of this forum have been able dig up. Everyone here is so helpful, and it has been a great learning experience for me. I have spent the last month or two trying to dig up more information about my uncle from other relatives in New England, sadly with no success.

I look forward to learning more about the service and sacrifice the men of the 292nd made, and more about your father. Thanks for joining!

Steve

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 09-19-2016

I just want say hello to all the descendants, relatives and friends of the members of the WWII 292nd Combat Engineers Battalion. My father was Sylvester A. Stuiber. He passed away last August 23 at the ripe old age of 92. http://www.zacherlfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Sylvester-A-Stuiber?obId=1047815#/obituaryInfo

I came across this thread a while back when I was researching his WWII past. My Dad never talked much about the war. Frankly, he was not much for conversation in the first place and much less so when it came to the war. So, I was excited to find this thread and to find his name mentioned and pictures of him before he shipped out.

I have a few things I can contribute here, some pictures and things I remember him mentioning. And, this is a bit of a tease, but I have an souvenir he brought back that I took out if the box today and discovered it has names and addresses on it! I'll post about it later when I get some good images of it.

Most of all I want to thank all of you for posts and pictures and research. This gives me a better idea of what his experience was like in WWII, and, well, makes me feel a little more connected to him now that he's gone. Thanks.

First and foremost, sorry for you loss, Kent.

Next, though, is a hearty welcome, my friend! Thanks so much for posting and for joining our 'lil band! We all look forward to anything you have to offer and hope that others here can help fill in some of the gaps to allow you to better understand your father's service and sacrifice. Despite delays due to work, more information will be forthcoming in the very near future and we will continue in our project to identify as many of the men as possible in the Company A photo. Remember, Kent, that if you are interested in a copy of the photo to call Hampton House Art & Framing at 336-723-8869 and refer to the 292nd Company A print. You won't be disappointed. Very soon there should be a copy of the C Company photo available for all of those interested. We also have a long term scanning project on unit operational records and very soon should have more of the Engineer Group operational records that the 292nd was attached to.

So as you see we a have many coals in the fire here for the benefit of all. Thanks kindly for your initlal contributions and we all look forward to long and fruitful discussions concerning the service of these great men.

Gary

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 09-19-2016

Welcome Kent, glad to have you with us!

I will be interested in learning more about your father, and his experiences during his military service. Like you, I have been amazed by all the information the members of this forum have been able dig up. Everyone here is so helpful, and it has been a great learning experience for me. I have spent the last month or two trying to dig up more information about my uncle from other relatives in New England, sadly with no success.

I look forward to learning more about the service and sacrifice the men of the 292nd made, and more about your father. Thanks for joining!

Steve

Steve,

Just keep at it, my friend, and hopefully more information will be forthcoming. As soon as information regarding your Uncle's IDPF file arives you will be the first I contact. Until the next time... au revoir!

Gary

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - buk2112 - 09-22-2016

My condolences on your loss, Kent.

We are certainly glad to have you here on board with us, our little 292nd family is getting larger, and hopefully will continue to grow with others finding us such as you have. Really looking forward to anything and everything that you might want to share with us, we love pictures!

I noticed from you father's discharge paper that his entry date into service of 3 Mar 43 predates the 5 Nov 43 formation of the 292nd. This tells us he was probably assigned to another engineer unit before the 292nd. It was common practice to transfer in or "seed" newly formed units with some soldiers that already had some experience to go with the "green" new recruits.

Enjoy your stay here with us Kent!

Randy

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - kstuiber - 09-22-2016

Randy,

No problem, my friend. I assure you that I will never disappear from those that I have made contact with here. I look forward to anything you can provide in the way of documentation and will reiterate that as someone who owns a photography company and deals with media every day, I would love to get copies of any and all documentition and photos that ANYONE has to provide, welcoming the opportunity to scan this information with the very high quality scanner that the company has to distribute for any and all. We need to get this information out so that this one of many little documented units does not fade into history.

Randy, here's the image, most likely a company photo, that I spoke of earlier. My family believes that my grandfather started as a mechanic in "A" company and then later was moved to "H&S" due to a shortage of mechanics and then may have moved back to "A" company later. I imagine that this photo was taken before deployment in the Fall/Winter of 1944, but cannot be sure whether it is "A" company or "H&S" company. Clearly, it has some issued having an old burn hole that destroyed the faces of two members along with some fold creases. My grandfather is fourth from the left in the back row. Maybe any and all can take a look to see if you see your relative and this would in turn allow us to determine which company this was for sure. This photo is relatively small compared to the original scan. Here is a link to 4x size version of the image so that you may better zoom into faces:

www.photozealots.com/tempalbums/19440000_292dCombatEngineers_large.jpg

Keep in mind that the file is quite large at 5.5 megabytes. I actually have a version that is 4.5x larger that this one, but at 57 megabytes figured it would be more than what folks needed.

Thanks to all for there time in posting here. We an and should band together so that this unit and these men do not fade into depths of history.

Great resolution on the photo. Thanks Gary !

I can say without a doubt that my father, Sylvester A. Stuiber is the first man on the left in the second row, the one with his eyes closed.

I cropped him out of the picture and attached it, he's the one in the center. He was probably 19 years old at the time.

post-2576-0-40288700-1474570145_thumb.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 09-23-2016

Great resolution on the photo. Thanks Gary !

I can say without a doubt that my father, Sylvester A. Stuiber is the first man on the left in the second row, the one with his eyes closed.

I cropped him out of the picture and attached it, he's the one in the center. He was probably 19 years old at the time.

Kent,

Thanks, my friend! We all do what we can to further the cause of helping folks tell their relatives story and also to tell the story of this little known unit. I have something you can do if you would? We may have identified your Dad incorrectly on the unit photo and I now have another soldier from this photo for you to view. Can you tell me is this your father with his head down a bit shielding from the sun? I also attached a yearbook photo of him I found on Ancestry.

Thanks so much and please, take your shoes off and stay awhile. :)

Gary

post-2431-0-31472700-1474600368_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-86130000-1474600387_thumb.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Walt's Daughter - 09-23-2016

Sure does look like him, doesn't it?