Forums
292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous Topics (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Forum: Introduce Yourself! (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: 292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) (/showthread.php?tid=2447)

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 07-26-2016

Gary,

I'm so impressed with the matching you're doing. Who would have thought you'd get this far?

I said earlier that it was a shame that we couldn't see insignia on more of the guys, but now that I'm looking at the photo more closely on my computer, I obviously there's plenty of insignia. Are you narrowing it down any using rank? I can see you found the captain. Does the lieutenant insignia narrow down the other three guys against anyone on your lists?

As for arm patches, I only see five unidentified corporals and six sergeants (luckily, the only one with an arm patch that I can't see clearly is Sterling, so we already have him identified -- I'm pretty sure he was a corporal at the time they shipped out).

Concerning the uniforms, I'd have to agree that those white coats look like the KP uniforms, although I can't make up my mind about their head gear. How odd they didn't change for the photo. As for the khaki semi-formals, Sterling got married in his. I don't have any photos of him in Class As -- but I don't have many photos of him at all. Did the NCOs and enlisted men have Class As when they shipped out? Just curious, it doesn't make any difference for our photos.

Lisa

Lisa,

Thanks so much for caring what we are trying to do here. :) How am I doing the matching? Well, I am basically using unit documents that I have to get the names of A Company soldiers and with the names I look up each using Ancestry searching for as much information as possible which sometimes leads to photos that can be used for comparisons. Eventually I will run out of potentials this way and will look to connect with folks that may provide photos for comparisons and may also lead to more folks joining the conversation here. Obviously, any photos that folks have who are currently participating here can provide with information on them can be helpful for identification purposes.

I don't think we'll ever know why these guys couldn't have changed into their Summer Service Uniforms for the photo. As for whether they shipped out with their Class A uniform... don't know this. Maybe Marion has an idea?

Back to the identification process.

Gary

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Walt's Daughter - 07-27-2016

Hi:

I have addressed your question directly to one of my veterans, who was an officer with the 36th Engineers. He is always a superb wealth of info.

Did the NCOs and enlisted men have Class As when they shipped out?

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Walt's Daughter - 07-27-2016

Captain John says that yes, everyone he saw on the ship...

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 07-27-2016

Captain John says that yes, everyone he saw on the ship...

Ahhhh, isn't it wonderful to have sources with such a wealth of information. Thanks so much, Marion! And to all of her veteran assistants... keep up the good work, folks! :)

Gary

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 07-28-2016

Folks,

Here's a link to hundreds of documents about the 103rd Infantry Division from the 103d Infantry Division WW II Association:

https://www.yumpu.com/user/103didww2assn.org

The 292nd was not attached to this unit. However, there are examples of Morning Reports which we hope to get for the 292nd from the St Louis Center sometime in the future. This site has some abbreviations used on Morning Reports:

http://www.327engineer.com/morningreports/morningrportsintro.htm

There is a ton of interesting reading at the above links!

Gary

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 08-02-2016

This is one is a little more difficult so I am asking for opinions. Arthur A. Rennels SN 35 813 469 listed as being award a Good Conduct Medal on March 28, 1945. I attached a cropped photo of his face in a photo of him in his Class A uniform along with a guy I think may be him. The guy in the A company photo is looking to avoid the sun and so his face is contorted as he squints making this a bit more difficult. The thing for me is the the right eyebrow... both photos have a distinctive wave in it which is different than most folks and that seems to be identical to me. Opinions?

Gary

post-2431-0-98021600-1470154277_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-73078700-1470154285_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-41321900-1470154300.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sterling's daughter - 08-02-2016

This is a tough one. The lower lip looks like a match, and from what I can see, the ear could be a match (ears are supposedly as unique as fingerprints). The face shape and chin seem about right. The nose seems longer and more prominent in the company photo than in the headshot. Just took a look at myself in the mirror, and my nose seemed to drop as the rest of my face pulled up in a squint, so I think that could explain the more prominent nose. So yeah, I think you've got a match.

Lisa

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 08-04-2016

This is a tough one. The lower lip looks like a match, and from what I can see, the ear could be a match (ears are supposedly as unique as fingerprints). The face shape and chin seem about right. The nose seems longer and more prominent in the company photo than in the headshot. Just took a look at myself in the mirror, and my nose seemed to drop as the rest of my face pulled up in a squint, so I think that could explain the more prominent nose. So yeah, I think you've got a match.

Lisa

Thanks so much, Lisa! Your opinions positive or negative mean a lot in trying to get this identification process correct. :) Here's an updated image with Rennels added. Time to keep up the research.

Gary

post-2431-0-09347900-1470312817_thumb.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 08-06-2016

Folks,

The next comparison is of Morton Sagan SN 12 225 767 listed as being awarded a Good Conduct Medal on March 28, 1945. Attached are photos from the Stuyvesant High School in New York from 1943 and a fella I believe may be him from the Company A Photo. What do others think?

Gary

post-2431-0-76594600-1470454954_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-36465900-1470454965_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-59442800-1470454974_thumb.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sterling's daughter - 08-08-2016

Rennels is a match.

Lisa