Forums
292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous Topics (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Forum: Introduce Yourself! (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: 292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) (/showthread.php?tid=2447)

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - buk2112 - 06-18-2016

Randy,

That's great timing as I will have some significant time around that time and thereafter to get those files put into digital format for all to get copies of. The discussions can then continue on so many details in so many more directions. In the meantime, here's a bit of pre-292nd nostalgia... I scanned a postcard that my grandmother had in her possession when she passed on a few years back of my grandfathers basic training unit at Fort Sheridan. She, of course, wanted to be sure that any and all who saw it realized where her husband was in the photo and marked him with a circle and arrow. Ahhh, Gram... a cardinal sin, but one that could be understood! :)

See ya, my good Missouri friend,

Gary

Wow Gary! That's an awesome pic, thanks for sharing it with us. Was there a date with the photo? I asked my grandmother a couple of years ago before she passed if she remembered my grandfather being stationed somewhere before Camp Butner. She replied, and she seemed quite certain, that he had been at Camp Crowder. So I believe that Camp Crowder is where he took his basic training but have no other evidence to back it up at this time.

Randy

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Ohioborn - 06-18-2016

Steve,

It is a shame that your uncle's items were lost in a fire. I was wondering if you had one of these 292nd campaign maps, showing their movements during the war. If not, we can sure hook you up with one.

Randy

attachicon.gifIMG_0495 (2200x1650).jpg

Randy,

No I don't have a copy of the 292nds campaign map. That is one neat looking item. How do I go about getting one? Once again, I appreciate all of your help.

Steve

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - buk2112 - 06-18-2016

Randy,

No I don't have a copy of the 292nds campaign map. That is one neat looking item. How do I go about getting one? Once again, I appreciate all of your help.

Steve

No problem Steve we can fix you right up. The originals of these maps were fairly large measuring approx. 23" X 29" inches. What I will be sending you is a reduced size version at 11" X 17" inches. I already have extra copies on hand. Just send me your mailing address in a private message and I'll drop it in the mail to ya Monday morning.

Randy

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Jeweler - 06-18-2016

Randy and Gary,

I've got the 1149th Ops Reports and an official history of the 292nd from creation until they "entered the war for Germany." Also, so papers related to a reunion of the battalion in about 2002. I was on their mailing list for a while, don't know what ever became of the group. There is quite a lot of paper, so I hope Gary doesn't mind scanning...

Pete

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 06-18-2016

Wow Gary! That's an awesome pic, thanks for sharing it with us. Was there a date with the photo? I asked my grandmother a couple of years ago before she passed if she remembered my grandfather being stationed somewhere before Camp Butner. She replied, and she seemed quite certain, that he had been at Camp Crowder. So I believe that Camp Crowder is where he took his basic training but have no other evidence to back it up at this time.

Randy

Randy,

It was noted that this photo was taken the day before my grandfather was inducted which was Jan 27, 1944. So, we have the date as Jan 26, 1944. Here are a few links to info on Camp Crower that may help you with background info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Crowder

https://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/mdh_splash/default?coll=crowder

https://armyhistory.org/camp-enoch-h-crowder-missouri/

Later, my friend,

Gary

Randy and Gary,

I've got the 1149th Ops Reports and an official history of the 292nd from creation until they "entered the war for Germany." Also, so papers related to a reunion of the battalion in about 2002. I was on their mailing list for a while, don't know what ever became of the group. There is quite a lot of paper, so I hope Gary doesn't mind scanning...

Pete

Pete,

Scan baby, scan! The more the merrier and I will take anything you are willing to provide. This stuff gets my blood pumpin'!!

Gary

Gary,

This stuff will be a good foundation to the history of the 1149th and especially the 292nd. It will be worth it, I'm so glad you're willing to undertake this. By the way, how can I attach a photo to my post? I have a couple of my uncle that might be of interest to our 292nd brethren.

Pete

Gary,

This stuff will be a good foundation to the history of the 1149th and especially the 292nd. It will be worth it, I'm so glad you're willing to undertake this. By the way, how can I attach a photo to my post? I have a couple of my uncle that might be of interest to our 292nd brethren.

Pete

I looking forward to it, Pete! Start a post and then hit "more reply options" below and it will give you the opportunity to attach photos.

Later, my friend,

Gary

Thanks Gary! Here's my uncle, Dean Belmonte, later in Co. C, 292nd ECB. This photo is at Fort Sheridan, February 1944. He is in the very front row of crouching men, third from the left.

Pete

post-566-0-25759000-1466292568_thumb.jpg

Thanks Gary! Here's my uncle, Dean Belmonte, later in Co. C, 292nd ECB. This photo is at Fort Sheridan, February 1944. He is in the very front row of crouching men, third from the left.

Pete

Very cool, Pete! Anyone have any ideas what the numbers denote on both Pete and my basic images?

Gary