Forums
292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous Topics (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Forum: Introduce Yourself! (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: 292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) (/showthread.php?tid=2447)

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 06-03-2016

Hello everyone,

My uncle Charles Crawford served in "A" Company of the 292, and died February 18, 1945. He is buried in Holland, and after my Dad's passing, I have been trying to gather information on his military service. I was pleasantly surprised to see his name on some documents already posted in this forum, and would appreciate any information anyone has on his unit.

Thanks,

Steve Crawford

Hey Steve,

Glad to have you on board, my friend! Hope you are here for the long haul as we are just a bunch of folks who are determined to honor those who sacrificed so much and document one of the many little noted units from WW2. Most if not all of the folks who have banded together here look to share any information that is found so I am sure you will be seeing much more info about the unit in the near future.

Thanks so much for joining our merry band and I look forward to many fruitful discussions. :)

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 06-03-2016

Hello everyone,

My uncle Charles Crawford served in "A" Company of the 292, and died February 18, 1945. He is buried in Holland, and after my Dad's passing, I have been trying to gather information on his military service. I was pleasantly surprised to see his name on some documents already posted in this forum, and would appreciate any information anyone has on his unit.

Thanks,

Steve Crawford

Steve,

One further thing in case you missed it... Lisa (aka Sterling's Daughter) posted information on ordering a Company A panoramic photo on page 3 of this thread if you are interested. In know many of us who had relatives in the company ordered copies and my family ordered seven copies. I know everyone who has posted about what they received were happy and my family was thrilled with the quality of the prints we received. We are currently getting ours framed and I will post a photo as soon as this is complete. Just wanted to be sure you didn't miss this opportunity in case you are interested. :)

Good night, my friend!

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - buk2112 - 06-06-2016

Hello everyone,

Thanks,

Steve Crawford

Hey Steve,

We are most certainly glad to have you here aboard with us, and look forward to anything you may wish to share with the group. As you have probably read there are a growing number of folks here with connections to the 292nd, and we hope still many more will find us like you have. Gary (sirgator) and I are working together to get the paper documents of the 292nd from the National Archives into digital form so they can be easily shared with everyone. There is a wealth of information about the unit in these documents, hopefully we can get those available in the near future, so be sure to hang out with us for awhile.

I am attaching another document that mentions your uncle's name, but I am afraid it is not a very pleasant entry. The document is from the 292nd unit journal from February 1945. It states that at 1530 hours on February 11th, 1945 Company A reported that Pvt. Crawford had stepped on a AP (anti personnel) mine. Sadly, he later died from his wounds.

I take it from your user name you lived or still live in Ohio, just wanted to mention that I lived in Columbus for a short time many moons ago, back in 1972. Again we are glad to have you here with us Steve, if you have pictures to share, we love pictures!!! Have a good one,

Randy

post-2432-0-41759800-1465228505_thumb.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 06-07-2016

Hello everyone,

Thanks,

Steve Crawford

Steve,

As I had a brain freeze and forgot to attach the files, see the next post.

Gary

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 06-07-2016

Hello everyone,

Thanks,

Steve Crawford

Steve,

Here's couple of things that I dug up on your Uncle from various sources including his enlistment record and his entry in a book about those who died in WW2 published by the government in 1946. He is 22nd down in the left column with the DOW meaning "died of wounds".

Gary

post-2431-0-73344600-1465308347_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-59135700-1465308365_thumb.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Ohioborn - 06-08-2016

Thanks so much for the warm welcome. I hope to be an active part in this community! Most of what my uncle sent home from his service before his death, was sadly lost in a fire in the 1950's. I am going to look through my Dad's stuff to see if he has anything from Uncle Charlie that I might be able to share. I currently only have 1picture of my uncle, which is a photocopy. I have already learned more about my Uncle, and his fate from you folks, than I had learned all of my life, so I thank you all. I dont even think my Dad or any of his brothers ever learned of how Charlie died. So I am grateful for that information Gary! I will definitely be looking to get a copy of that picture provided by Lisa, of the unit. It will be a treat to see not only my uncle, but those men he shared his service with.

Thanks again,

Steve

ps: Yes, I was born and still reside in Ohio, between Akron and Cleveland.

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 06-08-2016

Thanks so much for the warm welcome. I hope to be an active part in this community! Most of what my uncle sent home from his service before his death, was sadly lost in a fire in the 1950's. I am going to look through my Dad's stuff to see if he has anything from Uncle Charlie that I might be able to share. I currently only have 1picture of my uncle, which is a photocopy. I have already learned more about my Uncle, and his fate from you folks, than I had learned all of my life, so I thank you all. I dont even think my Dad or any of his brothers ever learned of how Charlie died. So I am grateful for that information Gary! I will definitely be looking to get a copy of that picture provided by Lisa, of the unit. It will be a treat to see not only my uncle, but those men he shared his service with.

Thanks again,

Steve

Steve,

Just to reiterate... great to have you on board, my friend! The photo is wonderful and I'm sure you will be thrilled as will your family. It is 8x36" and costs $20 ea plus shipping, but is a bargain at those prices. The folks at Hampton House are top notch so the print will be a prize to any family that values the service of those in the unit and sacrificed for all of us. One of the ones we received should be framed and complete soon and I will post a photo of it when it is done.

The search is ongoing and sometimes you don't know that you already have a "diamond in the family rough" already so keep looking through what your have and who knows. You should start to see some unit records soon and if you are lucky enough maybe your inquiry with NARA will get you an intact service file for your Uncle (and your Dad, also). I'd be interested in knowing some information on your Dad's service if you have that information. Just another patriot giving for the greater good.

Until next time,

Gary

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Walt's Daughter - 06-09-2016

Thanks again,

Steve

Ah, must have been close to your home this week, for we drove to PA and back, from Michigan. Welcome to the forum. Glad you have found this thread to be very helpful to you.

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 06-12-2016

Well folks,

My family's three and half month odyssey is over. Our Company A, 292nd CEB prints are framed and an identification plate is attached. Thanks, again, to Lisa for giving us the opportunity to not only own a piece of history, but one near and dear to our family. Thanks, also, to Marion for creating her little piece of cyberspace and thus facilitating this project as well assisting so many others in documenting those who came before and sacrificed for all of us.

As promised, here's the final project as complete.

post-2431-0-40332200-1465743890_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-68177700-1465743916_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-23690700-1465743939_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-00552700-1465744017_thumb.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - rwrich51 - 06-12-2016

Very nice Gary, Thanks for posting, Mine should be done soon and hope it looks as good as yours, I was wondering how you determined it was taken in May ? Ralph...