Forums
292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous Topics (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Forum: Introduce Yourself! (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: 292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) (/showthread.php?tid=2447)

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Jeweler - 03-13-2016

I have the original of that book, well worth it.

Pete

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - buk2112 - 03-13-2016

Ken,

you mentioned a book on the 9th Army that recently came back in print at the following link:

http://www.amazon.com/Conquer-Story-Ninth-Army-1944-1945/dp/1530041368/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457848631&sr=8-2&keywords=ninth+army

Here's a link to the original publication available to view online:

http://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015019378531

Gary

I have not read this book but will definitely check it out, always looking for something new to read.

Randy

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 03-14-2016

I just ordered seven copies of the Company A panoramic photo for various members of my family. The folks at Hampton were very cordial and patient and I had a long discussion about how this all came about and about the unit. They were happy to here that others had received their copies and were happy with what they received.

I will anxiously wait for them to arrive as will other members of my family! Thanks, again, to Lisa and Marion for this once in a lifetime opportunity!

Gary

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - warren's son - 03-17-2016

Greetings from Warren's Son. My father, Warren Schroeder, was with the 292nd Engineers and while doing some research I discovered your website. My father has been deceased for many years and I wish I could question him about his past experiences. He did not talk too often or in depth about what he did and saw. He was wounded in North Africa at Kasserine Pass, I remember him saying. You will see from the transcript that he went on to many other countries after that.

Anyway, I felt the need to share what little I had of his past and thought you would be interested in seeing his military record. I attached a copy along with some photos of him and hopefully it can be enlarged by clicking on it. Let me know what you think.

Best regards,

Dennis Schroeder

post-2501-0-38641900-1458183809_thumb.jpg

post-2501-0-90573000-1458183818_thumb.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Tony's Boy - 03-17-2016

Ok everybody,

Here are the photos I have that have more than just my grandfather in them.

The most important photo is the group titled "This is 1st squad" It is labeled on the back (not in order of the photo) My grandfather is in the middle row in the center for frame of reference.

The labeling is top to bottom starting at: Will, Pagoria, Bateman, Lawrence, Herzie, Savill, Toot, Guthrie, Schemehorn, Kollman, Santer

There is one with you boxing with someone unidentified

There is one with him with a man with the last name Gardecki all bundled for winter.

There is one with him planning at Gosselies Belgium

There is a group photo that is unlabeled

There is one at the POW camp, not sure if any of you had any serve there as well but thought I would attach it.

There is one with him in a picture with Captain Moran and Staff Sergeant Kosmari (I think that is how it is spelled on the back) and it is at Camp 20 Grand.

post-2511-0-74806400-1458186679_thumb.jpg

post-2511-0-65227700-1458186684_thumb.jpg

post-2511-0-68137900-1458186685_thumb.jpg

post-2511-0-40169100-1458186687_thumb.jpg

post-2511-0-66571100-1458186688_thumb.jpg

post-2511-0-85117500-1458186689_thumb.jpg

post-2511-0-24040700-1458186691_thumb.jpg

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Walt's Daughter - 03-17-2016

Greetings from Warren's Son. My father, Warren Schroeder, was with the 292nd Engineers and while doing some research I discovered your website. My father has been deceased for many years and I wish I could question him about his past experiences. He did not talk too often or in depth about what he did and saw. He was wounded in North Africa at Kasserine Pass, I remember him saying. You will see from the transcript that he went on to many other countries after that.

Anyway, I felt the need to share what little I had of his past and thought you would be interested in seeing his military record. I attached a copy along with some photos of him and hopefully it can be enlarged by clicking on it. Let me know what you think.

Best regards,

Dennis Schroeder

Great to have you here Dennis! As you can see, this topic is one of the most popular on the forum right now. It's wonderful to see the exchange of information.

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - buk2112 - 03-17-2016

Best regards,

Dennis Schroeder

Hello Dennis!

We are certainly glad that you have found us and hope you will hang out with us for awhile. Unless I have lost track, counting you now makes 8 individuals on this fine forum that had relatives in the 292nd, one more an we can have our own baseball team! There is one observation I have made so far about your father's service, and that is he must have belonged to another unit before the 292nd. The reason I say this is because the 292nd were active in the Rhineland and Central Europe campaigns only. The 292nd was formed on 5 NOV 1943 and with your father entering service in 1941 he must have belonged to a different unit before being transferred to the 292nd. We look forward to anything you my have to share with us and I would like to wish you a warm welcome to the forum. Have a good one Dennis!

Randy

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 03-17-2016

Best regards,

Dennis Schroeder

Dennis,

Wonderful to have you on board, my friend. I echo Randy in saying we hope that you will hang out with us for a long while. No doubt your father was part of another unit especially since you mentioned he was wounded at the Kasserine Pass in North Africa. We all work together here to try and assist folks in finding out more info about their relatives and about the unit itself. It is all about give and take as you probably already realize.

Thanks so much for dropping by... stay awhile and put up your feet, my friend! :)

Gary

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 03-17-2016

Ok everybody,

Here are the photos I have that have more than just my grandfather in them.

The most important photo is the group titled "This is 1st squad" It is labeled on the back (not in order of the photo) My grandfather is in the middle row in the center for frame of reference.

The labeling is top to bottom starting at: Will, Pagoria, Bateman, Lawrence, Herzie, Savill, Toot, Guthrie, Schemehorn, Kollman, Santer

There is one with you boxing with someone unidentified

There is one with him with a man with the last name Gardecki all bundled for winter.

There is one with him planning at Gosselies Belgium

There is a group photo that is unlabeled

There is one at the POW camp, not sure if any of you had any serve there as well but thought I would attach it.

There is one with him in a picture with Captain Moran and Staff Sergeant Kosmari (I think that is how it is spelled on the back) and it is at Camp 20 Grand.

Ken,

Thanks so much for posting these images. Even if the images don't have relatives of most us they are sure another glimpse into the past and how these men survived their service away from their families in a foreign land. I look forward to many long and fruitful posts and to reading everything and anything that you have to say. You are such an asset to our little group. :)

Onward and upward, my friend!

Gary

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) - Sir Gator - 03-21-2016

Whoa, Boy! I received my 292nd Combat Engineer Battalion, Company A prints today and they are fantastic!!! I couldn't have asked for a better value for what I received. Hampton House did a wonderful job on their end! Thank you, thank you, thank you, Lisa, for taking the time to set this up and to Marion for having the foresight years ago to set up this portal to the past! My family and I are forever in your debt!

Gary