Forums
Documentary - No Bridge Too Far - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: NO BRIDGE TOO FAR - The documentary and more... (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+--- Forum: Published articles and more (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: Documentary - No Bridge Too Far (/showthread.php?tid=2111)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Documentary - No Bridge Too Far - Walt's Daughter - 09-02-2008

Gary Swanson, one of the prominent WWII interviewers, sent me a video tape containing interviews with the following men:

Norman Mansell - 112th Combat Engineer

and

Floyd Mock (left)

Lewis Grace - (right)

both 208th Combat Engineers

I am currently having the VHS transferred to DVD for use within the documentary.

Here's to Gary and these three engineers. :armata_PDT_37:

post-2-1220405327_thumb.jpg

post-2-1220405348_thumb.jpg

Documentary - No Bridge Too Far - Walt's Daughter - 09-08-2008

I need a gentleman to also play the part of Ernest Wayne Warner - 19th Combat Engineer

Documentary - No Bridge Too Far - Walt's Daughter - 09-13-2008

Found something very cool (well it is to me), to use in my documentary...

While typing some text regarding an Ernie Pyle wireless document from Oran, Algeria, Dec 1942, I was wondering what kind of typewriter Ernie used, as I always try and make things look as authentic as possible in my production. So got on the internet and found Ernie used a Remington Noiseless, and was able to download the font and dump it into my OpenOffice document. Very cool!

Here's an example, which will be used in the documentary.

The_US_and_Vichy___E_Pyle.pdf

Documentary - No Bridge Too Far - Jeeper704 - 09-13-2008

Now that's great ..... you sure have an eye for detail. :armata_PDT_37:

Erwin

Documentary - No Bridge Too Far - Walt's Daughter - 09-13-2008

Thanks "Jeeps"! I think that's something that most people wouldn't spot at first, but detail is what really makes or breaks a lot of productions. It may take me a lot longer to complete this project, but I think in the long run I will be happy that I paid so much attention to the small things.

I really want to set the tone for this production with backgrounds and music. My goal is to transport the viewer back into the 40's and make them feel as though they were right there. Everything from the hiss and pops on radio broadcasts, old worn paper, and words taken directly from the soldiers and the broadcasters.

Well, my husband has given me the entire day off, so I may work on my documentary. Gotta love him. It's a mild, rainy day, and I am sitting here with the window open in my office. I think it's a perfect environment to create...

Documentary - No Bridge Too Far - Walt's Daughter - 09-17-2008

Hey Rocky J Squirrel!

Now we are getting into your territory in the documentary. I just completed another part of the script, which lays the basis for the invasion task force for North Africa. Here's a sneak preview:

Operation Torch, began on November 8, 1942, and consisted of U.S. and British forces, commanded by American General Dwight D. Eisenhower. Their mission was divided into three task forces; The Western, Center and Eastern, and would be the largest amphibious operation in history.

The Western Task Force, sailed from America, under the flagship USS Augusta, commanded by Admiral Henry Hewitt. The hundred ships of task force 34 were comprised of 35,000 troops, and commanded by Major General George S. Patton. He was assigned to capture Port Lyautey and Casablanca, with soldiers of the US 2nd Armored, and 3rd and 9th Infantry Divisions.

A British convoy of 300 ships, commanded by Admiral Edmund Burrough, left England, and included the two remaining task forces.

The Center Task Force, was under the command of Major General Lloyd Fredendall, and consisted of 39,000 troops. It was scheduled to overtake Oran, and included the US 509th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 1st Armored and 1st Infantry Divisions.

The Eastern Task Force, was led by Major General Charles Ryder. The 33,000 men were to assault the port of Algiers, composed of the US 34th Infantry Division, two brigades of the British 78th, and two commando units.

These territories were controlled by Vichy France, with approximately 60,000 troops in place.

Prior to the operation, an very important role was played by General Mark Clark, who landed behind enemy lines in Algeria, risking his life to meet with Allied sympathizers. This clandestine mission was a vital key to the success of the invasion, which collected useful intelligence regarding ports and coastal defenses, helped to gather various diplomatic codes, and let Clark master his skills of diplomacy.

I plan on including a part of your taped interview for this segment of the documentary. Can't wait to get it done and show it to ya!

Documentary - No Bridge Too Far - roque_riojas - 09-17-2008

I'LL BE AWAITING TO "EXTRA,EXTRA--READ ALL ABOUT IT!!!!" ------- :26_6_7:-----ROCKY J

Documentary - No Bridge Too Far - Peanuts - 09-17-2008

The documentary sounds good! I do have a question due to contradictory information. Carlo D'Este in his book about the Sicily invasion said it was the largest amphibious operation ever mounted up to that time. According to Dragoon, southern France was the second largest U.S. landing operation (and became the largest operation of its kind). Now for the first time I'm hearing that Operation Torch "would be the largest amphibious operation in history." Most sources say Normandy was the largest. Well, I'm confused.---Peanuts

Documentary - No Bridge Too Far - Walt's Daughter - 09-17-2008

That's HISTORY as of November 1942. When they are talking about an invasion, they are comparing it up to and including that point, not future dates, which didn't exist yet.

When Operation Torch was carried out, the world had NEVER seen anything like it. It was a FIRST!

Now if a book or movie is comparing the entire war from 41-45, then that's a different story. Here we are talking from the viewpoint of someone standing in November of 1942. It's all written in present tense.

Hope that helps you!

Documentary - No Bridge Too Far - Walt's Daughter - 09-24-2008

Whew! I think I'm lucky if I got a shower in this week! Just kiddin', but have been spending MEGA hours on the documentary, in preparation for the reunion tomorrow. Really wanted to get a lot more done on the North Africa sequence, and I succeeded. Had a few hair-pulling moments, and plenty of frustration, trying to do all that and work in the store and all the other stuff I do...

But as of a few minutes ago, I got 'er done, up to the part I was shooting for, and what a sigh of relief! I now have approximately 22 minutes completed of the N African chapter.

I am creating a Windows Media video right now, which I can watch out in the store on my laptop. This way I get to see it running and I can critique and then do some tweaking tonight before putting it all on DVD. Will let hubby and sister-in-law watch it too.

Leaving tomorrow morning at 7:30 and heading to the airport. Here I come 36th and 540th Engineers Reunion. Are you guys ready for me?

Bon voyage all!

:clappin: