Forums
49th Engineer Combat Battalion - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew)
+-- Forum: Search, Research & Preservation (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=47)
+--- Forum: LOOKING FOR... (http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/forumnew/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: 49th Engineer Combat Battalion (/showthread.php?tid=139)

Pages: 1 2 3

49th Engineer Combat Battalion - Walt's Daughter - 08-27-2008

Barbara:

Nice to have you here. I can put you in touch with everyone associated with the 49th. Will send you the list tomorrow. Getting ready for bed tonight. Have an early interview with a radio station in Ottawa, Canada tomorrow morning at 8 AM.

Welcome. Would love to hear your dad's stories!

49th Engineer Combat Battalion - sf11dude - 12-28-2008

This goes to Ernest Napier's grandson.

If he would like to talk to my Dad, he said he could call him. He has fond memories of Ernest and funny things too. Dad, Guy H. Mills used to read his letters from home to him and write letters for him too. Ernest at the time could not read or write. I will give you his phone number and you can post it or blank it out. But Dad asks if you will give it to the guy and hope he calls him.

Barbara

Guy Mills

P O. Box 224

Bluewater, NM 87005

505 876 2651 That is for anyone that wants to talk to Dad from the 49th Engineers B co.

and Battalion Headquarters, where he was transferred after 6 wks because of his specialization of Demolition,.

+++++++++++++++++++++ For Barbara Patterson, daughter of Guy Mills ++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Barbara, I tried calling Guy tonight but there was no answer. I am really looking forward to hearing stories about my grandfather. I actually wrote NARA and got all of the information on the 49th which has a few pictures in there of them building bridges. I had some momentos my grandfather gave me before he passed but they were stolen by a family member. I hope some day to get them back and post them online to be preseved and shared. There was a drawing of a unit insignia that included Pike's Peak and had all the men's names on the back, also there were maps of all the bridges built by the 49th overseas.

I am a veteran myself (Co C 2nd Battalion 11th Special Forces Group (Airborne)).

Your dad is welcome to write me and I will keep trying to get in touch.

Bill Carr

830 Woodland Drive

Robins, IA 52328

sf11dude@yahoo.com

49th Engineer Combat Battalion - sf11dude - 12-29-2008

Barbara:

Nice to have you here. I can put you in touch with everyone associated with the 49th. Will send you the list tomorrow. Getting ready for bed tonight. Have an early interview with a radio station in Ottawa, Canada tomorrow morning at 8 AM.

Welcome. Would love to hear your dad's stories!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Marion, I want to again thank you for being so kind and hosting such a great site, thank you for all your hard work, care and concern.

I've been working on an extract from the NARA files to try and find a way to provide information to everyone. I have spent a lot of time compiling a spreadsheet with quite a few tabs along the bottom listing personnel, unit info, etc. Can I upload it to this site as an attachment, do you want me to copy and paste it or would you prefer to screen it first and decide how best to display it? The file size is 438Kb. Here is one of the tabs - 49th ECB CO's.

49TH ENGINEER COMBAT BATTALION - COMMANDING OFFICERS

GENERAL ORDER RANK BRANCH FIRST NAME MIDDLE NAME LAST NAME DATE COMMAND LOCATION NOTES

1 Major CE R. Ernest Leffel Thursday, April 01, 1943 Camp Carson, CO CE = Combat Engineer

5 Major CE R. Ernest Leffel Tuesday, September 21, 1943 Camp Carson, Colorado

4 Major CE James P. Neville Wednesday, March 14, 1945

8 Major CE James P. Neville Sunday, June 03, 1945

14 Major CE Julius R. Noble Thursday, August 16, 1945

15 Major CE Charles D. McLeod Sunday, August 19, 1945

16 Major CE James P. Neville Monday, August 27, 1945

17 Major CE Charles D. McLeod Monday, September 03, 1945

18 Captain CE Dale E. O'Brien Sunday, September 30, 1945

19 Lieutenant Colonel FA Fred N. Wisehart Monday, October 08, 1945 FA = Field Artillery

20 Captain IN Jack J. Jarvis Tuesday, November 06, 1945 IN = Infantry

Thanks.

49th Engineer Combat Battalion - Walt's Daughter - 12-29-2008

Hi Bill:

So good to hear from you, and thanks for your kind comments.

Yes, you can upload it as an attachment and/or send it to me as an attachment, and I can convert it to a PDF also, for inclusion on the main site. Would love to see the whole thing. Thanks for compiling that data.

Well it's getting late this evening, and about time for me to close the laptop. YAWN! -_-

Happy New Year to you and yours.

49th Engineer Combat Battalion - sf11dude - 12-30-2008

Thanks Marion! Iwill upload it as an attachment here.

49th Engineer Combat Battalion - sf11dude - 12-30-2008

Thanks Marion! I will upload it as an attachment here.

Marion, I might be doing something wrong. I chose the "browse" option below, and then "upload" but I don't see either of them on the site. It is giving me a message saying "Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file"

I tried to upload VII Corps Casualties and the 49th CEB History (both Excel files). I will send them to you via email and if you don't mind, you could add them here for the others to see.

Thanks!

49th Engineer Combat Battalion - Walt's Daughter - 12-31-2008

I will have to convert the files. We do not allow certain documents because of potential security risks and file size. Thanks! I should have the file completed later today. :armata_PDT_01:

49th Engineer Combat Battalion - Walt's Daughter - 01-02-2009

Okay, this took a while.... Sorry for the delay, but it's a HUGE document (several sheet Excel file)! I have included the Excel spreadsheet, which is in read-only mode and password protected. You can open the file, but NOT alter it.

I have also included an HTML file, for those who are unable to open an EXCEL spreadsheet.

Both documents can be found on Ernest's page also, as of this morning.

Bill, I can't imagine the HOURS you spent on this document. It's incredible. A gold star is sent your way.
:armata_PDT_37: If anyone wants to know anything about the 49th, well...it's pretty much ALL here.

Ernest Napier's Web Page

MARION's NOTE: Nov 25, 2009

Bill wanted me to temporarily pull these files from the server, for he found erroneous data, etc., which he would like modify before restoring to the server. Thank you for your patience. We apologize for this inconvenience.

49th Engineer Combat Battalion - sf11dude - 10-11-2009

Hi Marion, I hope all is well. Guy Mill's daughter Barbara Patterson and I finally made contact which was great - they sent me some information frm the 49th ECB. I am busy making a Google map of the movements of the 1106th ECG and plan to do one for the 49th ECB at some point. Is there a way for you to display them or will they have to be linked through URL?

Does anyone know if there are any 49th ECB reunions?

I am writing Total Army Personnel Center to get information on MIA and KIA's from the 49th - it takes a while to get a response. I was researching the 49th ECB casualty reports and noted that on Sunday September 17, 1944 near Dasburg Germany 4 personnel were declared MIA.

Major Ernest M Cassidy

1st Lt Vincent J Slomka

TSgt Albert H Meyer

Ssgt Chester W Morris

Does anyone know what happened on that day?

I learned about 1st Lt Slomka - O-1297797 SLOMKA VINCENT J ARMY European Theatre: Germany Returned to Military Control, Liberated or Repatriated GERMANY Oflag 64 or 21B Schubin (Moved to Usedom) Poland, Altburgund 53-17

Oflag64 was a German POW camp for Officers near Sczubin (not Schubin) Poland - the story of this group is incredible.

Here is a link:http://www.talkingproud.us/HistoryOflag64A.html

I haven't found any information on the others yet but I am looking.

Can I continue to send you information for posting? You can put all links on my granddad's page Ernest Napier.

Thank you!

49th Engineer Combat Battalion - Walt's Daughter - 10-11-2009

Great to hear from you again, and congrats on a job well done. Gratifying isn't it? :armata_PDT_37:

Yes, will be pleased to add more to his page. Feel free to send me things and we'll see what will work.

Don't be a stranger.

I hope we can find more info for you too.

:armata_PDT_01: