Forums

Full Version: Breakfast at the Bulge 1944-1945
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Another link sent to me by Jim Hennessey.

Breakfast at the Bulge

Yes, you can certainly feel the cold in that one. - Marilyn

Yes, doesn't the picture just exude the cold and bleakness of the time? Here's another link too:

Battle of the Bulge- The BBC

The Battle of the Bulge has always held a significant part in my memory bank. I was in 1st grade and, consequently, out of school for Christmas vacation. My dad owned a gas station and mother worked right alongside him, pumping gas, greasing cars, changing tires, changing oil, etc., because if Dad was able to hire a boy in high school, it was never for long because as soon as he graduated - boom! - he was gone to the army or marines or navy. For some reasons, one day while on Christmas vacation Mother was home from the station and I was with her. Maybe she was trying to get ready for the big Christmas dinner. I remember her washing the dishing and the big radio console was on in the living room. The news was on and it was the same as it always was: the War. Only lately, it seemed to me to be more intrusive than ever. You couldn't get any grown-up to pay any attention to you - the radio was on and it was, "Shhh....shhh...shhh...." I was sick of it. The War. The Shhh-shhh-shhh. Everything. I turned the radio off.

"Marilyn! Turn that back on!" When Mother spoke, I listened. So I grudgingly turned the radio back on. Looking back over the years and putting 2 + 2 together, I know now that it was the Battle of the Bulge that was claiming everyone's attention.

That is a wonderful memory from childhood. Thanks for sharing that. Yes, how could you as a child understand the signifigance of any of it, other than it took up time and you always got a scolding for interrupting the adults.

Moments like that always stick out in your mind, like when Kennedy was shot, when 911 occurred, etc. You remember it forever.