Forums

Full Version: New member Filip
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

FIWI

Hi,

I am Filip from Belgium, I would describe myself as a history buff, or with a great word "amateur-historian" with a special interest in the 101st Airborne Division, in particular 463 PFA (and also a bit 506 PIR).

I live 2 1/2 hours from Bastogne and I work freelance and as a volonteer for the City Council. I am also assistant to visiting Veterans and try to help them with all their needs. Sometimes I do a free battlefield guiding for friends and family, in the neighborhood.

Besides my work as a Computer Support Operator in a Steelplant, I try to do some teaching to adults (Microsoft Access).

And I have a passion for WW2 vehicles. I owe a Willies Jeep, but not WW2 (very expensive in Belgium). My model is a Willies M38A1 (Korea Model). Later, if possible, I would like to buy a Dodge 4x4.

I used to be in the Military for 11 years as NCO. Now I am in the Belgian National Guard, what we call the 'Trained Reserve'.

A warm HI to everybody here on the boards.

FILIP :wave:

colinhotham

Hi Filip and welcome, B)

Like you I research WW2 history. As an ex Royal Air Force MT Fitter I am also interested in WW2 vehicles, in fact when I joined the RAF in 1955 we were still using some of them! You will find this a very helpful and interesting website.

Colin.

:tank:

Welcome Filip, i hope you find your visits to this forum worthwhile.

Thanks and a happy new year 2005 !

May 2005 be healthy, warm, full of love and friendship.

Filip

P.S. about the RAF : is the battle cry still PER ARDUA AD ASTRA ?

My favorite airplane is still the SPITFIRE, and by multiple and strange coincidences it looks almost that there is a connection with a Spitfire pilot of Dundee who was KIA on September 5th, 1943. His name is John Smart Carmichael.

Yo FIWI !

I am always glad to see a familiar face on a site. Keep up the good work you do for all vets.

By the way I am looking for anyone who might have some more in depth information on an action near the Our river on December 17 1944. My father was with the Battery C 229th field Artillery ,28th division. They and a anti aircraft battery dueled some panzers at the range of 150 yards. My father was in charge of the battery defense 50 caliber machine guns. I remember him saying that gun crews bore sighted the guns and didn't use fuzes. He didn't really say a lot more about it and would never go into detail . He was awarded the Bronze star for his efforts and the Combat command of the 112 th regiment was awardeed the Presidential unit citation in 1947 or so. I have read some of the story in Hugh Coles book, but it seems that it and the action at Hosuington are confused in some of the other books. Can you give mre anyone 's name who is well versed in theis action ?

Thanks

Jiggersfromsphilly

Nice to have you hear Jiggers. BTW, love your log-in name. Everytime I saw that on other forums I thought, hey that's cool!

Of course we will see what we can find on your dad. Remember the super-sleuth is here. :pdt12:

Just wanted to say thanks too for supporting my decision regarding the Dick Winter's Petition. It will be interesting to see how this entire things unfolds. :wacko:

We look forward to your future posts and we hope that you will enjoy your stay here. Of course we want to hear any of your experiences regarding your meetings with Wild Bill and others of the great 101st Airborne too. Always hungry for knowledge here!

Jiggers,

As your dad speaks of the 112th IR, he probably was in the Ouren area during The Bulge.

The 112th was located in that area which was one of the few front positions that withstood the first German assault on December 16, 1944.

They were opposed by elements of the 560th Volksgrenadier and 116th Panzer Divisions (if my memory still is correct).

I have been in that area a lot and there are still foxholes to be seen.

Later, the 112th IR and 424th IR (106th Division) heroically fought the Germans in the Saint-Vith area (Spinneux is one village where they fought; there is a monument for these two units).

Hope this helps a little.

Erwin

A warm Michigan hello Erwin. Nice seeing you here. I always look forward to new members. We all have so much to learn from each other. Of course it's even better when we get to communicate across the ocean.

Thanks for giving Jiggers some info on that time period. I am sure he will appeciate your time and efforts.

It still amazes me that foxholes still exist after all this time. You would think that after 60 years wind and rain and other erosive elements would have taken their toll. I hope they will always be there to remind us of those horrible years under Nazi rule. :armata_PDT_23:

Thank you. :armata_PDT_01: Btw, thank you for joining our Forum (ww2-ETO).

Well, it is even more shocking to see foxholes surrounded by craters (artillery fire) there. At one place, the German positions were very close to these foxholes.

If Jiggers needs more info, I can always look it up for him.

Erwin

I love the forum. Have visited there several times in the last 24 hours. I feel so welcome. It's great that you have a section for Dutch and for English. :armata_PDT_37:

I have visited so many forums, but don't return to many because either

1- they are poorly run

2- they don't like new people

3- they have their own circle of friends and don't accept others ,etc.

4- many don't like women, even though they won't admit it

I have a feeling that I will be a regular on your site. You and Daan have treated me so nicely. :wub:

Pages: 1 2