Forums

Full Version: Joining Up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Esteemed veterans thank you so very much for sharing your memories, a couple questions if I may:

How did your family feel about you joining the military?

Did you have other family members who were in military service or served at an earlier time?

Hugs,

Brooke

Brooke: Naturally my mother was unhappy but she knew that I would enlist soon as

I was of age. Yes, my dad was in the service already, and also my only brother. Many

cousins and unkles also. All of us in the ETO. One unkle in Canada was in the their navy..

Brooke,

I was flying Piper Cub around Detroit and getting lost on flight Detroit to Saganaw so I enlisted in Air Corp 1943 to 1946

cadetat6 Art

Thanks guys for answering. It's interesting to learn a little about the other members of the family. My grandad was the youngest boy and all the rest were already in when he became of age.

Hugs,

Brooke

Esteemed veterans thank you so very much for sharing your memories, a couple questions if I may:

How did your family feel about you joining the military?

Did you have other family members who were in military service or served at an earlier time?

Hugs,

Brooke

This time my parents were in the know about the draft and I got

the first letter from the draft board saying I would be called soon.

And no they didn't forget. Nov. '42**HELLO,** Left to Ft.

Leavenworth,Ks. then to Camp Roberts, Ca. Didn't see no one

till I came home Nov.'45. I have a bro. that was in the battle of

the bulge. Another that was in Korea and a Grandson in

Desert Storm. Other than that nothing much.

Thank you Roque for sharing your memories.

Hugs,

Brooke

Roque Riojas,

What was your brother name and info on him.

I also had a brother in Battle of the Bulge but K.I.A. crossing Rhine River

cadetat6 Art

chucktoo1926

Four boys in my family. We sort of spread it around. My oldest brother Don was drafted into the medics and served with the 8th in england. Clarence ( JR. to us)

enlisted in the Marines and wounded on Bouganville. Ken was next and enlisted in Nay Air Corps as gunner on a TBF. I was the last to go, and enjisted in Army Air Corps. my sister Dolores, was too young so she stayed home and wrote tons of letters.

As to how they felt having each of us being away, I cant say. I imagine four stars in the window was a bit un-nerving. I do remember my Mom telling us later that my Gramma called her one morning all shook-up. She said she had a bad dream and woke up to find JR. standing at the foot of her bed. She said, " Pearl,you're going to hear something about JR.". The next day the telegram came.

chuck

Posting this here for "Rocky".

| Chambers; My little piece to your post is. My dad was

| proud as punch when he saw me board the bus to go to

| Ft. Leavenworth,Ks. from K.C. Mom had a tear in her

| eye or maybe it was dust. Mexican people are very

| proud and dad said ,son, makes us proud. Did'nt see

| them for 3 yrs. Have a bro. Henry Riojas that was in

| the battle of the bulge. Another brother, Joshua Riojas

| in Korea and a grandson in Desert Storm. I don't

| remember seeing any USO shows, There were tents

| set up in the REAR so when we were pulled off the line

| we went back there got a shower and clean clothes.

| Neverheard of the Montecatinni Rest Area. I guess

| cause we up in the mountains. Just read the history of

| the 34th in Italy, under Divisions. Roque

| Short thought(it's hell to be old,lot of things forgotten.)