Forums

Full Version: Monthly Journal HQ 540th - July 1945
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

I sent this to Al Kincer, 48th CE today. As I sort through all my docs from NARA, I find references to many units, including infantry and engineering. This is a file from 540th HQ. It is a Monthly Activity Journal from July 1945 when they were in Germany. This particular doc mentions the following units:

• 48th CE
  • 290th CE
  • 2832 and 3833 which are the battalions of the 540th CE
  • 552nd Eng Heavy Ponton Bn
  • 1144th Labor Supervision Co
  • 1142nd Labor Supervision Co
  • 8912 PW Co
  • Co C, 384th Eng Bn (Sep)
  • 3980th Quartermaster Truck Co (1 platoon)

HQJuly1945.pdf

Yes, Thank you Marion...Le multa dolce....It is interesting to see what they did after I left. Many of the fillers WE had received in the last few months of the war were on their way to Pacific. AL

My pleasure. More to come soon. It's really is fascinating to go through all these declassified documents. I'm really learning a lot.

Speaking of "on their way to the Pacific...", I found out that my dad's regiment was going was scheduled to head out for the great Pacific. Thank God Truman dropped that bomb. Scary to think that my dad's unit might have gone off to fight again. Now I know why they look so pissed off in some of the later photos. Man, they just wanted to go home. Dad finally got his wish in November 1945. He had been in the ETO since spring of 1943. Long enough...

Just to add...The 235 Engr. Bn., the OTHER Bn of the 1108 Engr. Group, went as a unit to the Pacific. By the time they arrived it was over so they never saw any action. AL

Thank God! I think they had already seen enough action in the ETO. I think a lot of folks today don't realize the hell that our boys would have gone through if the damned war had continued. We don't need any revisionist historians.