Forums

Full Version: Don Burgett - History Channel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

My friend Don Burgett of the 101st Airborne will be on the History Channel. The program airs on November 18th. Please check your TV schedule for further details. I will try and post more on this later.

This is a first time airing. :pdt34:

Here's some info:

Several weeks ago Kelly Bergman of WWII Victory Museum, Auburn, Indiana phoned Don to ask if he would take part in the filming of a new documentary for History Channel. Kelly went on to ask if he would agree to do a taping for a Col. Antal, US Army, Retired. Col. John F. Antal (US Army Retired) is a representative, Director and Producer of "Gearbox Software," PC. X-Box, and Playstation.

Kelly asked if he knew any 502 WWII vets that had survived the whole war with the 101st. He recommended Mark Bando and George Koskimaki as the two most knowledgeable historians on the airborne and trooper identification and gave him their names and phone numbers. Col. John Antal phoned him a few weeks ago with the same request for his project, again he also gave him Mark's and George's name and phone numbers.

George and Mark gave Kelly and Col. Antal the names of Don Brininstool, Fred Bahlau, Leonard Schmidt and three others, two of the three agreed; along with Don, Fred, Leonard and himself.

They were interviewed by a local TV crew and the History Channel. The reason given for wanting 502 men was that Col. Antal felt that the 506 has been fully exposed for years through the Band of Brothers. The 502 fought the same areas and most of the same battles as did the 506; this would give another regiment credit for having also been in the war.

My friend Don Burgett of the 101st Airborne will be on the History Channel. The program airs on November 18th. Please check your TV schedule for further details. I will try and post more on this later.

This is a first time airing. :pdt34:

Here's some info:

Several weeks ago Kelly Bergman of WWII Victory Museum, Auburn, Indiana phoned Don to ask if he would take part in the filming of a new documentary for History Channel. Kelly went on to ask if he would agree to do a taping for a Col. Antal, US Army, Retired. Col. John F. Antal (US Army Retired) is a representative, Director and Producer of "Gearbox Software," PC. X-Box, and Playstation.

Kelly asked if he knew any 502 WWII vets that had survived the whole war with the 101st. He recommended Mark Bando and George Koskimaki as the two most knowledgeable historians on the airborne and trooper identification and gave him their names and phone numbers. Col. John Antal phoned him a few weeks ago with the same request for his project, again he also gave him Mark's and George's name and phone numbers.

George and Mark gave Kelly and Col. Antal the names of Don Brininstool, Fred Bahlau, Leonard Schmidt and three others, two of the three agreed; along with Don, Fred, Leonard and himself.

They were interviewed by a local TV crew and the History Channel. The reason given for wanting 502 men was that Col. Antal felt that the 506 has been fully exposed for years through the Band of Brothers. The 502 fought the same areas and most of the same battles as did the 506; this would give another regiment credit for having also been in the war.

Has it been broadcasted yet ?

If yes . How can I get a copy of that ? Did anyone taped it ?

Lennon

It hasn't been on yet. I tried looking it up on the History Channel this week, but so far haven't come across it.

I was going to go to the 101st meeting tomorrow and hopefully talk to Don, but my car is in the shop, won't be ready until tomorrow and plus Lee is sick and I hate to leave him alone running the store when he's feeling bad. So...

I was also supposed to go to Mark Bando's house tomorrow after the meeting, but will have to call him this evening and reschedule. Ah, such is life... There's always a next time. :D

Anyway, if I do see it I will send you a tape. I am already making one for FIWI!

Has anyone had any luck finding the program with Burgett? I sure haven't. I think I will write to him today and ask him about the program.

Got the scoop from Mark Bando tonight. Thanks Mark for the update!

-------

Marion-

The THC 502/Normandy program will be on the evening of 18 December and the title is Brothers in Arms-the untold story of the 502 Parachute Regiment in Normandy. Sorry I don't know the exact time-it's supposed to be 2 one hour episodes back to back. I'm supposed to be in it as well, as a talking head. Best, Mark B

Is there any way to get me a copy of Don at History Channel ?

It has been broadcasted once in Belgium , but I really want it on tape ... so HEEELP...

I will try my best to tape it for ya. You can kick me in the behind if I forget. :wacko:

Did you forget ???? :direct::pdt::unsure::D:D

No I didn't! :P:P :joker: :frown: You thought I would huh? :lol::lol: It's on it's way to you. :pdt34:

Saw many guys that we knew last night including Mark Bando, George Koskimaki, Don Brininstool, Don Burgett, etc. It amazed me how many of the guys I have the privilege to know. I hope they will be around for a long time, so we can continue to hear their recollections. A good group of men.

Pages: 1 2