Forums

Full Version: Organizational Charts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Many thanks to you and Custerman for the information on Infantry T.O.&E . I pretty well recalll up to Bn. but above Bn. T.O.E. I was not much up on it.. Very interesting.

The Squad, platoon and company strength varried a lot due to the usual shortage of

casualty replacements. Never enough to make up losses. Weapons T.O.E. was not

always stricktly adhered to (With C.O.'s permission) but usually the M-1 rifle and a BAR

were the usual, with FEW '03 rifles used to my knowledge. Again, many thanks.

TO/E is the authorized strength. the reality is: There were replacements for KIA only. The WIA/hospital count were returnables and counted against squad strength.

Enlited men (EM) were so short in INfantry Divisions that the weapons platttoon was always short, maybe one section of mortar and one section for MG. Even when you were headed for an invasion.

Company grade Officers were not available in most Rifle companies. Their casuallties were heavier than EM losses. 3rd Bn. 141 held officer in Bn. Hqs CPand sent them out when the going got rough, many times not knowing what the true situation was. Thus raising their losses.

Ah that is such a fact. I know that company, battalion, platoon and squad numbers were drastically down especially just prior to the Battle of Bulge and all during that campaign. Many experiencing half to three-quarters of their full-strength at times. Pretty scary stats! :o

The more I read, the more it becomes so bloody apparent just how tight the situation was during this period. With numbers substantially cut and the problem of logistics (very low ammo, gas rationing, little or NO winter clothing, etc.) it just astounds me how you guys held your ground and then pushed on against ALL odds. :pdt34:

TO/E is the authorized strength. the reality is: There were replacements for KIA only. The WIA/hospital count were returnables and counted against squad strength."

Do not agree with this. Usual ratio of KIA to WIA was about 1-7. During winter many

non-battle casualties also took place and furthered platoon losses. Never have I seen to many replacements for a Inf. platoon, including returned WIA's (as some did not return ever). Never did see ABOVE TOE platoons. Usually still understrengthed.

Infantry Regiment Organization

Non-vets - please keep in mind that organization charts in the military are "authorized strength." They bear little resemblance to reality in combat!.

Consider the casualty figures below from the 7th Infantry History in WWII.

Casualty Table WWII:

KIA 1883

Died of Wounds 203

Died of Injuries 43

Missing in Action 468

Wounded in Action 6,532

Injured in Action 468

POWs 642

Injured in Action 468

Total Casualties 7th Inf - 10,244 Total Casualties - 3rd Inf. Div - 35,000

Average (not authorized) strength 7th Inf - Not stated, but probably about 2,000 or less men.

3_7_I_Recon - Russ Cloer

Excuse my Links but sometimes my editor saves them with a different extension: it makes the extension as all CAPS.

So here are correct links for now. I'll try to change it back. These Gif files are on the on the main page that has these charts inserted in it.

Artillery Chart

http://www.custermen.com/ItalyWW2/ArmyOrg/...t/Artillery.GIF

Regiment Chart

http://www.custermen.com/ItalyWW2/ArmyOrg/...rt/Regiment.GIF

Division Chart

http://www.custermen.com/ItalyWW2/ArmyOrg/...rt/Division.GIF

Steve