Forums

Full Version: Looking for information on William Edward Purkess
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Bill Purkess was my grandfather and I am trying to find out about his service during World War II. Here is what I know. I have a picture of him in an officer's uniform with Engineer pins on the collar. No rank or unit is visible. I have a letter from him dated February 1945 talking about a recent R&R in southern France. Unfortunately according to what I got from the National records his service records were destroyed in the St Louis fire. Bill was born on January 6th 1920, and passed away on October 26th 1959. He lived in Brooklyn NY. Family lore has him as a Major, and having served in North Africa, Italy, and southern France. Sometime after the letter was written he had a major injury to his leg. The story was he had his ankle run over by a "tank". Would like any information that anyone might have on Bill. Thanks.
Hi and welcome.

In regards to records being destroyed in the fire, there are other methods of obtaining them. Please read the section on research.
http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/f....php?tid=5
Yes, I have already checked that out and have started some of the things listed.  Very thankful to the resources you have provided
You are very welcome. Glad I could be of assistance. Let me know what transpires Mark. Here to help!!!
Was this the same person?

Name
William E Purkess
Birth
5 Jan 1919 Brooklyn, New York
Military
12 Jun 1939 Service Company 14th Infantry
Residence
67 Gotham Ave, Brooklyn, New York

Field Title Value Meaning
ARMY SERIAL NUMBER 20253595 20253595
NAME PURKESS#WILLIAM#E####### PURKESS#WILLIAM#E#######
RESIDENCE: STATE 23 NEW YORK
RESIDENCE: COUNTY 047 KINGS
PLACE OF ENLISTMENT 2306 BROOKLYN NEW YORK
DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY 03 03
DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH 02 02
DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR 41 41
GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATION PFC# Private First Class
GRADE: CODE 7 Private First Class
BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION FA# Field Artillery
BRANCH: CODE 30 Field Artillery
FIELD USE AS DESIRED # #
TERM OF ENLISTMENT 0 Undefined Code
LONGEVITY ### ###
SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL 7 National Guard
NATIVITY 23 NEW YORK
YEAR OF BIRTH 19 19
RACE AND CITIZENSHIP 1 White, citizen
EDUCATION 2 2 years of high school
CIVILIAN OCCUPATION 104 Clerks, general
MARITAL STATUS 6 Single, without dependents
COMPONENT OF THE ARMY 4 National Guard (Officers, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
CARD NUMBER # #
BOX NUMBER 0337 0337
FILM REEL NUMBER 3.59# 3.59#