Forums

Full Version: Mount Porchia, 3-8 January 1944 - The german S.P. guns
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Valentino

My name is Valentino Rossetti and I am the webmaster of the site dalvolturnoacassino.it .

I have collaborated with Marion J. Chard in relation to the 1108th presence in Italy.

I am conducting a research about a unit of German self-propelled guns that fought at Monte Porchia in the days between 3 and 8 January 1944 (just the days when the 48th companies were called to operate as infantry to give help to the conquest of this position).

The German unit was named (in German) 2.Batterie SturmGeschutz Abteilung 242 and was equipped with 75 mm guns.

There are some photographs that show some of these S.P. guns, hit or broken, taken January 9, 1944. The shooting location is generally referred to as "San Vittore area" but it is almost certain that it is near Monte Porchia (also included in the San Vittore area).

Photo list: monte-porchia.

Do you have any informations / photos that help me to identify the location of this unit in those days?

Greetings and thanks for the help you can give me.

Valentino

Glad you joined. I'm sure the more people who see your request, the better. Welcome to the forum. Hope we can help you. 

Hello everyone, any information?

Sorry, not at this time, at least for me. Don't give up.

Let's hope some veterans have some memories.

Unfortunately not many left here. Too many of my boys have left this earth. 

While I don't believe this section points to any specific sp guns, it does give the history of the 1108th (48th and 235th Bns) during winter 43/44 in Italy. 

I haven't watched this all the way through, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1abpPHb1Hc

4 hours ago, Walt's Daughter said:

I haven't watched this all the way through, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1abpPHb1Hc

I've seen it all (I know it very well), there are no German SP guns

Pages: 1 2