Forums

Full Version: Montelimar, France
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

montelimar.jpg

Montelimar, France

The 3rd Infantry Division made an assault landing in Southern France on August 15, 1944. We bypassed Marseilles and Toulon and left the mop up to the French forces which had landed on our left. The town of Montelimar was a key objective because it controlled the entrance to the Rhone Valley passage north. This escape route was choked off early by our artillery, infantry and air force and the retreating enemy was trapped between our attack and the Rhone River. Twelve miles of roadway was covered with thousands of dead horses, smashed carts, burned out vehicles and blackened enemy corpses. But little did we realize what bitter fighting lay ahead in the Vosges Mountains and the Colmar Pocket

Russ Cloer - 3_7_I_Recon

The 36th ID was holding small towns east of Montelimar. I was one of the men who were captured with K-141 GIs and one nd Llt. out of ammo trapped in a house with only one front exit. That was covered by Germans about 20 feet away across a road. When K-141 Radio man was tossing gernades back out a window one went off in his hand. The 2nd Lt thens aid we need a medic for him we,ll have to surrmeder. I can not explain my feeling then.

We were with the Germans only one night they loaded us with back packs and we all started north up the Rhone valley and made right turn into the Drome valley heading east. Before day break our Arty. began shelling and kept it up for 2 or more hours up and down the Drome valley.

Before Day break we were challenged by an outpost of 3rd BN. 143 IR. After one German was Shot in the shoulder they all dropped their Rifles. We said there were GIs with them. We hit the ground then got their riofles to help the 2 men on the out post to take 24 of them in to the company PC.

By day break it was all over. The Drome vally was lined with trucks wagons and dead hnorses and Germans. And one German pay masters bus. Loaded with 2000 Franc notes From the Bank of France. Which we were told before the invasion were no good.Only Bank of Morroco notes wre good. So the nores were thrown into the wind. Later we found out they were good notes. Lluckily I saved a few to spend!