Forums

Full Version: Rome
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

shadowbox.jpg

Shadowbox

One of my fondest memories of WWII service is of leading one of the very first recon patrols into Rome during the night of June 4, 1944. We had fought our way out of the Anzio Beachhead after a bitter struggle and headed for Rome. We were about 5 miles south of Rome when my Regimental CO called me to his dugout at night and gave me verbal orders.

Lieutenant, Intelligence picked up a Kraut radio message which said they were declaring Rome an open city and withdrawing north. (Presumably to avoid War damage to the ancient artifacts).

“I want you to take a patrol into Rome right now and find out if it’s true. It could be a trap, but if it’s true, I want my Regiment (7th Inf) to be the first into Rome. I will have the first and third battalions on trucks waiting for your return.â€

I found out much later that Gen. Mark Clark knew that D Day Normandy was scheduled for June 6th and he demanded that his troops take Rome, before Normandy monopolized the headlines back home.

I took 4 jeeps with 50 cal. machine guns and 15 men. It was pitch dark and smoke made visibility worse. We passed smoldering tanks, recon vehicles, and dead soldiers along the Appian Way. We met no resistance. We saw nothing alive. We entered the city which was ominously silent, no light showing anywhere. We saw no Krauts, no Americans, no civilians. We expected to be ambushed at every corner. It was deathly quiet, spooky. I had a street map, but I dared show no light to read it. We pressed on , but were soon lost amid the narrow, winding, tunnel like streets. Until we rounded a bend, entered a huge cobblestone piazza and there before us stood the Coliseum, silhouetted against the first blush of pink light in the eastern sky! It was a sight I will never forget! The thrill of a lifetime! I stood in the midst of 2,000 years of history and felt a strong sense of having added to it. We drove back to the CP dugout and Colonel Wiley O’Muhundro grinned and sent 2 battalions in on trucks. Two days later, the Allies invaded Normandy and we were no longer fighting alone! Only one other lieutenant from my group of 21 junior officers replacements, who joined the regiment with me on the Anzio Beachhead, made it to Rome! It was good to be alive!

Several months ago, a young man in Chicago read my story on the Internet. He is a skilled craftsman and enjoys WWII history. He made the shadow box you see in the picture and mailed the picture to me. I was overwhelmed!!! And then, a few weeks later, a package arrived. It was the complete shadow box, carefully shipped with foam padding! At my age, that kind of honor keeps me going!

Russ Cloer - 3_7_I_Recon

Russ:

I just showed this to my husband. The first thing I saw was the shadowbox and I called him over to my computer. Pretty awesome I thought. I was impressed because I had never quite seen anything like it. Then I read the story...

Now I am even more impressed than before. First off the story is just grand. Ah, the eeriness and then the light of day breaking over the coliseum. I was sitting here trying to picture it and bask in it's glory. Then I read the rest of the story...

That is so beautiful. What a honor and a surprise. I bet you just about fell off your chair my dear. The man is obviously quite an artisan and most obviously a very kind, warm-hearted and generous man.

We have to add this to your page. Yes, yes, yes! :pdt34:

Can you please tell us what the caption entails? Thanks so much.

Marion,

I am sorry if the caption is confusing. I was trying to crowd into a few words, the liberation of Rome, the night patrol I led on 6/4/44. the awe I still feel when I look at the shadow box which displays it so well, and the generosity of the artison who made it

Russ

Your wording is just fine. I meant I can't read the middle lines of the plaque because they look a bit blurry in the photo. Thanks a mill. ;)

That is so cool. I know you are proud of that. Is the jeep a model or a flat image? I can't quite tell.

I'd like to hear more about that day. What time of night was this? Just before sunrise? My Dad was in the 85th Division and following in your path later in the day. When did the civilians begin to come out of hiding? Later in the morning?

From one of my sources, I read that Gen Clark had picked the 36th Division to be the first into Rome---I guess because all the losses they suffered. But the 36th was pinched out of the line.

I just bought the "cotton bail" DUI pin of the 7th Regiment to add to my collection of pins [the pin is seen in upper RH corner of your shadowbox] I also have an Officer's chocolate uniform that I am thinking about converting to resemble an officer in the 4th Regiment. I found a pair of infantry crossed rifle insignia with a "4" that I can use. Still have a few more items to collect before I can put it all together.

Steve

the "cotton bail" DUI pin

I'm from Mis-sippi and can't spell cotton bale.

The DUI pin for the 7th Regiment has a cotton bale on it. It was the Battle of New Orleans in 1815, while being commanded by Andrew Jackson, that the 7th Infantry was dubbed the “COTTONBALERS.†During that battle the 7th successfully held their position against the British forces from behind a breastwork of cotton bales. The nickname “Cottonbalers†was proudly accepted by the Regiment and a cotton bale was incorporated into the Regimental Coat of Arms and to the Distinctive Unit Insignia.

an officer in the 4th Regiment

Another mistake on my part. I was thinking that the 4th Regiment was part of the 3rd Division. Wrong. I'll have to find another infantry insignia to put on my officer's uniform.

Steve

Cpt Russ: I am proud to read your story about Rome. I have read the book on this subject. Being in the 36th ID there was a little envy towards the 3rd ID. Your story straightens things out.

Since the 3rd ID had such a rough time on Anzio I know they should be first into Rome. The Grand entrance was made 5 June 44. You were ahead to all that.

I did hear one remark about Gen Clark not thinking ahead, as to what the Germans were doing north of Rome and not staying on their tale!

What an amazing story, Capt.! I have been to Rome several times and I have never seen it quiet, even at night. What an experience that must have been. Indeed "Rome" is still someting that comes up often in books and the many forums. You are indeed part of that history.

GREAT story!