Forums

Full Version: Conducting research - Edward W Lawson - Engineer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Marion Chard,

I have been using your forum to obtain information about the Combat Engineers during

WWII. Thank you for your dedication.

I am in my late 60's, but did not serve in the military. My brother a pilot, was a Captain in

the Navy, and retired after 30 years of service. My father served in the Navy in WWII as a

Seabee, Carpenters Mate 3rd Class. He was a diver, both shallow and deep water. He was

in the Naval Construction Battalion Detachment #1009, on Banika Island, Russell, Islands,

South Pacific. The unit operated the Landing Craft Repair Base No. 2. My father never

discussed his service with me or my siblings. I have spend a lot of time rebuilding his training

times in Virginia and California and the trail to the LCRB No. 2. We now have a good picture

of his service, before he came back and finished his engineering degree.

My mother-in-law's first husband Edward Lawson, was in the Army Corp of Engineers. He

was KIA in March, 1945. They were divorced in mid 1942. We have attempted to research

his service but we received many letters back from various military records sites, that there is

no record. This month we did discover that the family has a half sister, Ed Lawson had

remarried in 1943 in Newport News, NJ. We contacted the half sister and have good

relations with her. She and her mom were not notified of Edward's death, but found out when

his letters stopped. The army denied benefits to them, because he was married to someone

else. This just made me dig further, but still not much luck.

2nd Lt. Edward William Lawson born 3 Mar 1916, died 27 Mar 1945. He is buried in

Arlington National Cemetery. On his Interment papers, he was returned with WWII Dead

Program from St. Avold-Metz France in 1949. the papers state that he was U.S. AGF - 345

Engrs. A colored pencil note on the record states " C o C, 10 Engr. Ba., WWII Corps of

Engrs. We do find mention of Edward in the Diary of Chick Bruns - 70 Years Ago. Edward is

listed on the Territory of Alaska WWII Army Casualties. His enlistment shows as Seattle,

Wa, but all Alaska enlistments show as Washington.

Our family and two living children of Edward's first marriage live in Alaska, so going to the

records is very difficult.

We can find no records related to 345 - Engrs.

Joining your forum hopefully with help in learning more about the WWII history of Corp of

Engineers.

Thank you,

Willet Bushnell

I am conducting research for Willet and will post anything I find within this topic. Just getting started this morning....

This could be him, right here?

Family Tree Now

Found this military record on the Family Tree Now site too:

World War II Records
MILITARY RECORDS

View Details
NAME: Edward W Lawson BIRTH: 1916 ENLIST DATE: 3 Feb 1942 RACE: White MARITAL STATUS: Married EDUCATION: 4 Years Of High School SERIAL NUMBER: 19075031 ENLISTMENT TERM: Enlistment For The Duration Of The War Or Other Emergency, Plus Six Months, Subject To The Discretion Of The President Or Otherwise According To The Law BRANCH CODE: Bi 00 GRADE CODE: Pvt 8

Cemetery Interment Document - another document shows he DID serve with the 10th Engineers, who were part of the 3rd Infantry Division.

Awarded the Silver Star (Posthumously) for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action while serving with Company C, 10th Engineer Combat Battalion, 3d Infantry Division, on March 19, 1945 at Minschweiler, Germany From: History of the 3d Infantry Division in World War II (Donald G. Taggart- Editor) Pub 1947

Gallery, including the award of the Silver Star

Family Tree

Expanded Tree with detailed information

How's that for an half hour of work? I'm pretty proud of myself. :pdt12:

Marion, Thank you for your assistance

We just found out last week that Edward W. Lawson was awarded the Silver Star. It does confirm that he was part of the 10th Engineer Combat Battalion.
Edward enlisted in Alaska, but the Army offices were in Seattle, so therefore is shows as a Washington enlistment. He enlisted as a private in February 1942, and reported for duty sometime later. He was in Newport News, VA when he was married, and was a 2nd Lieutenant on the marriage record. He was still in the states in Feb or Mar 1944.
We assume that he would have gone to boot camp, engineer training, and engineer OCS. But cannot locate if records of the Fort Belvoir classes are still around.
Willet Bushnell

The attached photo is was sent to Edward's wife in 1944 from Europe. He is in the back row, second from the left side of the picture. The quality is poor, but it is the only version I have at this time.

Willet Bushnell

post-2572-0-68543300-1473443352_thumb.jpg

Fantastic. Thanks for posting the photo. I am going to see what else I can find for you. :pdt12:

A brief "life story" as portrayed on Ancestry.com

Found that link you mentioned too, that belongs to one of our forum members. Ya, his name is in that diary. Very cool!

Eisenhower Archives

I also went to the 10th Engineer's FB page and asked if they could dig up a roster for me from WWII.

Digitally reproduced full text of History of the 3rd Infantry Division in WWII

Just added this history to my main site.

Pages: 1 2