Forums

Full Version: Pvt G Katora Tarentum, PA Postcard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

My friend, Lorraine Hudock, sent me this postcard this week. Her friend got this at an antique store, thinking that she'd like it, but she sent to me to add to my collection. How thoughtful.

Unfortunately, whoever had it originally, pasted it into a scrapbook of some sort. I was able to read most of it, in spite of the paper and glue on the back.

This is what I garnered from it, tonight.

Postmarked Macon, GA Oct 9, 1942 2:30 PM

Pvt. G Katora CO A-1 ?

Medic Training Dept. ?

Robins Field ?

Warner Robins, GA

Hello Ralph:

How are you doing? I'm fine. Hear you some rough weather.up ???.

? nice down here ?? seldom rains. Am very busy in my training now. Hear

Anna went on a vacation. Better get your crops in ?????

haha

Addressed to Mr Ralph Thompson

RD 2 Box

Tarentum Penn

Did some preliminary searches this evening and came up with the following:

----------------------------------

World War II

Spurred on by the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in December 1941, the number of construction workers reached 2,200 by Christmas 1941. The Army enlarged the project by purchasing 2,637 additional acres and leasing 782 more south of the depot for troop training. In May 1942, the number of construction workers peaked at 6,600. The contractors essentially completed the project by 31 August 1942. Construction on the industrial and cantonment areas was completed by 31 August 1942. The second and third phases were completed the following April.

The rapidly growing town of Wellston changed its name to Warner Robins on 1 September 1942. Known as the Georgia Air Depot in the beginning, the depot has undergone many name changes. It was redesignated seven times, eventually being named Warner Robins Army Air Depot on 14 October 1942.

Warner Robins Army Air Depot eventually assumed overall command of the Air Service Command's installations in the states of Georgia, South Carolina, a portion of Florida, and North Carolina. Warner Robins supported approximately 6,500 Army aircraft in this area with depot maintenance and supply.

Throughout World War II (1941–45), 23,670 employees repaired almost every kind of AAF aircraft, including B-17s, C-47s, B-29s, B-24s, P-38s, P-47s, and P-51s. Its training facilities turned out nearly 60,000 field repair mechanics for every theater of war. The workforce supplied every kind of part necessary to keep AAF planes flying, especially spark plugs. It also maintained thousands of parachutes, aircraft electronic and radio systems, and AAF small arms.

In addition to aircraft maintenance and supply, air depots also trained aviation support personnel. These included air depot groups and air service groups, plus medical, military police, quartermaster, ordnance, chemical, and signal personnel. Warner Robins sent its first trained unit, the 38th Air Depot Group, overseas in December 1942. It is estimated that over 50,000 Army personnel trained at Warner Robins during the war.

-------------------------------------

Then did a search for G Katora in Tarentum, PA and actually found the name of A George Katora who was born in 1921 and passed away in July of 1986. This would be the right time period and age. Am looking up some other records right now. Would love to be able to get in touch with the family, if possible. This is in Allegheny County.

Does anyone have a current account on Ancestry.com? If so, could you look up George Katora for me and see if you can find his military history or anything else related to him. I'd greatly appreciate it.

This is SOO Cool!

post-2-0-76544400-1447729666_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-12558400-1447729676_thumb.jpg

Marion that is the kind of research that I enjoy. Starting with very little more than an old postcard, maybe you can trace the family of today. I hope you have further success as it looks like you have a good starting point.

Colin.

Me too. It's a blast. Finding tidbits and making something from nothing. Thanks!