Forums

Full Version: Classification for soldiers who died while being held prisoner
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

brian m

Is there a classification (such as KIA) for soldiers who dield while being held prisoner? I have seen some listed as "missing in action or lost or buried at sea". When there is evidence of them being a POW, that description does not seem appropriate.

Hi, not sure about that, but we have several lists of acronyms in our research section.

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/engforum/index.php?showtopic=6832

You may want to check that out. In the meantime I will see what I can find.

Thanks Marion!

As far a I can ascertain, the designation would be POW/KIA

In fact, if you visit this site and scroll through the list, you will find this designation POW/KIA :armata_PDT_23:

There is actually a committee dedicated to POW/MIA - United States Senate Select Committee on POW/MIA Affairs

Another one for you since you are on a roll. Have you discovered a quick and easy way to determine if a soldier who was injured and taken to a hospital returned to service with another outfit, went home, or died of wounds received? I have been searching individually for the individuals and seeing where that leads (which takes a long time since records on the internet are not the greatest) (and I am guessing that is the only way) but I thought I would check to see if you or anyone else had any shortcuts (particularly for those who died of wounds received).

Thanks for all your help!

Brian

Well I should have read the link better as I am betting that list will have the information I am looking for. Scratch that last post!

Ah, just read both your replies. I was going to say, about the only way I really know how to do this, is to read the actual reports from the individual's unit. These kind of things are found in morning reports, after-action reports, etc.

For instance I read about my dad being injured and sent to the 15th Evac and then found an entry later, which stated he was returned to active duty.