Forums

Full Version: info regarding captured German Sabre - 39th Combat Engineer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Interesting stuff here...

I was forwarded a letter, because they thought I might have some knowledge/insight about a German sabre which was captured during the war by a member of the 39th Engineer Regiment. I am uploading the complete handwritten letter, but will put some of the immediate facts below.

The letter was written by Kenneth Klisiewicz, the son of Steve Klisiewicz. Evidently the item in question was signed by over 30 members of the unit (see letter). He states that his dad passed away in 1970 and never really talked about the war, except to mention that the item was confiscated from a German submarine captain. He has no proof beyond this, but says that there must be an interesting story behind this.

I did forward the letter to everyone on my current 39th email list a few months ago, but have not heard anything, so thought I should place it here too.

Any help is truly appreciated.

Klisiewicz Letter 39th Engineer request 2014.pdf

I don't know if any of your 39th folks might be interested in this:

Original WW2 US Photographers ARGUS Camera Named to 39th Combat Engineer Soldier

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-WW2-US-Photographers-ARGUS-Camera-Named-to-39th-Combat-Engineer-Soldier-/251896883117?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa63967ad

Wow, that is pretty cool!

Will send that to my "clan".