Forums

Full Version: 70 years ago today - the invasion of southern France
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

70 years ago today, my father and his buddies stormed ashore during the invasion of southern France. Here's to all the brave men who fought that day!

The three photos...

36th Engineers on the beach with the 3rd Inf Div

36th Engineers in southern France with partisans

36th on the beach

post-2-0-63288000-1408114750_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-68669200-1408114751_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-48111500-1408115405_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-38639500-1408115407_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-33763700-1408115409_thumb.jpg

More...

first pic from Charles Bryant's 540th collection

2nd pic from the collection 540th's Daniel Gallagher - bailey bridge in southern France

3rd pic from the collection of Colonel George Marvin in St Raphael, France.

post-2-0-89578600-1408115494_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-00849300-1408115525_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-67234100-1408115608_thumb.jpg

Memories today from Captain John Fallon of the 36th...

70 years ago tonight our LCT was plowing determinedly to France. Earlier in the day the Army decided that we should stop in Ajaccia, Corsica to take a dip in the ocean apparently to avert seasickness. It took three weeks before we could hose off the salt. The Captain of the LCT, a 23 year old Ensign, invited the officers in turn to dine in the galley along with some of the crew. It held about 10 guys comfortably. But it is dark now and with no lights our coxwain is having trouble staying in line, but I couldn't see a thing. Twice a destroyer moved abeam, as they say,and yelled at our hard trying mate as he kept veering off. It was later, maybe 11: or 12; when the cry came that someone had jumped over the front ramp. With no lights and no way of stopping we would have to wait until daylight to see who was missing. With daylight we waded ashore so we never found out who was the jumper and he is now I am sure listed as missing in action.

With my five man sniper hunter squad I stormed ashore but that is another story.

I just posted all the sitreps from the month of September 1944 for the 540th. I had already posted the ones from August, a while back.

You can find them on the 540th's History page

So the 540th landed on Camel Green beach (at least HQ and 1st Bn). Is that right? That would have been with the 36th ID. I don't know that I ever knew that.

Sad to say that most people don't even know that this ever happened. "D-Day. That was Normandy, right?"

Operation_Dragoon_-_map.jpg

"D-Day. That was Normandy, right?"

Oh ya, you are such a smartie-pants!

Yes, they landed with the 36th Inf Div and yes, too few people know about this. That is very unfortunate.

"D-Day. That was Normandy, right?"

Sure it was!!

and Casa Blanca

and Oran and Algiers

and Guadalcanal

and Betio

and Sicily

and Salenro

and Anzio

and Peleliu

and the Philippines

and Cape Glouchester

and Attu

and Kiska

and Dieppe

and Bougainville

and Makin Island

and Kwajalein

and Eniwetok

and Guam

and Saipan

and Tinian

and Angaur

and Slapton Sands (Op Neptune rehearsal which ended up with 946 casualties)

and Iwo Jima

and Okinawa and Ie

and a few others. . .

Good man! Yes, people, there wasn't just one D-Day! This has always been a thorn in my side. It should always be stated, D-Day Normandy.

And.... :pdt12:

I often hear people refer to D-Day Normandy as the invasion of Europe. Darlings, my guys had already invaded Europe. The country is called Italy! Just sayin', just sayin'...

The "Soft Underbelly" I am led to understand. . . .

Pages: 1 2