Forums

Full Version: Johnny Thompson - 341st Engineer and Nascar driver!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

A couple of months ago, I received a great phone call from Johnny Thompson, a WWII 341st engineer. Since then we've chatted a couple of times and he sent me a package with the following materials. Johnny also informed me that he used to be a Nascar driver, so being a fan, it naturally peeked my interest too.

I really enjoyed his keen sense of humor and even after all these years, he still retains his fighting spirit. God bless ya Johnny and thanks for getting in touch with me.

From Johnny Thompson - WWII poster.pdf

Johnny Thompson - business card.pdf

Johnny Thompson - Daytona Beach 1954.pdf

Johnny Thompson - Jacksonville 1950 - Nascar.pdf

Johnny Thompson - recounts misisons - Nov 2013.pdf

Johnny Thompson - WWII vet angry over closed memorial - Oct 2013.pdf

Johnny states that he was with the 341st Engineer Reg.H&S CO, from Jan. 1944 to Sept.1st 1945.

cross linking this other thread about the 341st. There is additional info about the 341st campaign in Europe, and more mention of the Remagen bridge which Mr. Thompson mentions in the file above called "recounts missions". (what a wonderful interview!) I hope it is ok, Marion for me to put a link here to the other discussion?
http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/engforum/index.php?showtopic=2159#entry39063
~Howard Parthum

I will make sure that Johnny sees the posts. :pdt12:

I am SOOOO excited, for I am planning a surprise for one of my veterans, Johnny Thompson, who not only fought in WWII, but was also a NASCAR driver.

Johnny is such a sweet guy and a real go-getter, and I wanted to do something special for him. So I got the idea of writing to Brad Keselowski, my favorite NASCAR driver to see if we could come up with something. So I went to his website this morning, sent him an email before heading out to town. Well, lo and behold, for when I got home early this afternoon, there was an email in my inbox from Wil, his account manager. He asked more questions about Johnny and is going to talk to Brad to see what ideas they can put together.

I am so thrilled and so pleased, for I certainly didn't expect and immediate answer. I can't wait to see what transpires.

Thank you Wil and thank you Brad. You guys rock!

======================

a few weeks later...

Well, the surprise is all set. The wheels are in motion and I can say no more until it transpires. Brad Keselowski and Wil Sterchi - you guys rock!

======================

Received this from Wil

Hi Marion,
Brad was glad to hear about Johnny and his military service and his time spent as NASCAR driver.
Brad has signed a 1:24 scale die-cast car from his Checkered Flag Foundation, which supports military veterans and their families. He wanted to provide this to Johnny to thank him for his service.
Can you provide me an address to ship it to?
Thanks Marion,
Wil Sterchi
Account Manager
Brad Keselowski Racing

==================
And this just yesterday - an email from Johnny.
What a surprise when this package was delivered to me. Especially since it was a
Ford and I am a real ford guy. Receiving this was like winning my first race.
Thanks again,
Johnny

Here's my reply to Johnny:

Dear Johnny:
You are so welcome. I was hoping that it had arrived by now. I was getting very anxious.
This had been in the plans for several months and it was such a joy working with Brad and his manager. Great people. I got the idea one day and set off to send a letter to Brad. Imagine my surprise when his manager answered me within a couple of hours. Wow! He said he would consult with Brad and come up with something special to honor you. A few weeks later, Brad came up with the idea of the car and I was so pleased.
You see, Brad has been my fave Nascar driver for the past few years, so that is why I wrote to him in the first place. Doesn't hurt that he drive a Ford Fusion, for I happen to own one. You see, I happen to be a Ford gal myself. ha-ha!
I am so pleased that you are happy and that we could bring a spark of joy to ya. Would love to see a pic of you with the car, if you get the chance. BTW, what kind of letter did they include with the car. I have no idea.
With love,

Marion

Great story!! I'm glad that your plan could come together!!

Oh me too. I was a bit nervous about it. So glad everything came together.

Here's two pics that Johnny sent me. One is a photo of him with the car that Brad signed for him. The other is a recent photo of Johnny and his wife Jeanette.

post-2-0-82170900-1481715113_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-08705600-1481715115_thumb.jpg